"...in a far away land!"

Olson

Warlord
The game's Event Log states "...in a far away land!" each time an event for Spain occurs. In the least it should state, "Isabella has completed...!" since I met her before the event occurred.

The Info Screen's 'Top 5 Cities/Wonders' will tell me Spain built the Wonder and when but not which city unless it's one of the top 5 cities where the avatar for the Wonder is displayed.

Even if I click on the Event Log event it won't pan to the city with the Wonder. Is there a patch for this? Is it just Spain? Doesn't seem to be a problem with the other civs.

[Edit: Just realized this should probably go in Bug Reports thread]

its only you can see the city in which the wonder is build. Otherwise its "in a far away land" ;)

I had also met Huayna Capac (but hadn't located the Incan city of Tiwanaku) and the Event Log announcement states, "980 AD: Huayna Capac has completed The Great Lighthouse!"

"in a far away land" should only be when the civ. is unknown; otherwise the leader should be mentioned.

I had also met Huayna Capac (but hadn't located the Incan city of Tiwanaku) and the Event Log announcement states, "980 AD: Huayna Capac has completed The Great Lighthouse!"

"in a far away land" should only be when the civ. is unknown; otherwise the leader should be mentioned.

Well, that's not how it works. If you want it to work that way then make a mod. Personally, I don't really care much about the feature, so don't expect me to use that mod.

Well, that's not how it works. If you want it to work that way then make a mod. Personally, I don't really care much about the feature, so don't expect me to use that mod.

If one can't determine where Wonders are located then one wouldn't know which cities to raze and which to keep.

[Edit/Update: Learning that tactical level city graphics are 'What You See Is What You Get' (WYSIWYG) addresses this issue. Wonders and city improvements are shown on the map. If one knows what to look for then one can tell all that is built in the city before one captures/razes it.]

Get BTS

The top 5 cities menu might help with finding missing wonders. But in BTS fully patched, you get to look at the cities before you decide whether to raze them or not.

its only if you can see the city in which the wonder is build. Otherwise its "in a far away land" ;)

Have discovered the city or can view it at present?

I had also met Huayna Capac (but hadn't located the Incan city of Tiwanaku) and the Event Log announcement states, "980 AD: Huayna Capac has completed The Great Lighthouse!".

This would disprove the above rule.

I've never studied it closely but it does feel like a random chance at play in whether you will be told which civ built a wonder. I'm sure it isn't random--same goes for hearing which civ's spy you have discovered--but it feels that way.

Have discovered the city or can view it at present?

This would disprove the above rule.

I've never studied it closely but it does feel like a random chance at play in whether you will be told which civ built a wonder. I'm sure it isn't random--same goes for hearing which civ's spy you have discovered--but it feels that way.

No, it doesn't disprove the rule, though at a glance it might seem like it. If you have seen the city in question such that it appears on the map (it can be in the gray fog of war but not the black undiscovered tile fog), then when that city makes a wonder it'll say "[CIV X] has completed the [Wonder Y]!" If you cannot see the city on the map, even if you have discovered every other city they have, you will get "in a far away land." Meeting the civ is irrelevant; all that matters is whether you have discovered the city that made it.

The game's Event Log states "...in a far away land!" each time an event for Spain occurs. In the least it should state, "Isabella has completed...!" since I met her before the event occurred.

The Info Screen's 'Top 5 Cities/Wonders' will tell me Spain built the Wonder and when but not which city unless it's one of the top 5 cities where the avatar for the Wonder is displayed.

Even if I click on the Event Log event it won't pan to the city with the Wonder. Is there a patch for this? Is it just Spain? Doesn't seem to be a problem with the other civs.

[Edit: Just realized this should probably go in Bug Reports thread]

Has anyone noticed the Event Log panning feature?

If you have seen the city in question such that it appears on the map (it can be in the gray fog of war but not the black undiscovered tile fog), then when that city makes a wonder it'll say "[CIV X] has completed the [Wonder Y]!" If you cannot see the city on the map, even if you have discovered every other city they have, you will get "in a far away land."

He stated that he had not yet seen the city but was told which civ built the wonder. That should not occur if what you say is consistently true. Or am I missing something?

It shouldn't happen, and that is how it works to the best of my knowledge.
TO OLSON: How did you know it was in the city of Tiwanaku?

He stated that he had not yet seen the city but was told which civ built the wonder. That should not occur if what you say is consistently true. Or am I missing something?

I'm wondering now if I new where Tiwanaku was or not. I don't believe I did but now I wonder if it gained the religion of my holy city and, therefore, gave me it's location without me having ever sent a unit to that area.

It shouldn't happen, and that is how it works to the best of my knowledge.
TO OLSON: How did you know it was in the city of Tiwanaku?

Each time I click on that Event Log posting the map centers on Tiwanaku (now that I know where it is) just like if I were clicking on an Event Log posting that states I completed ie. Stonehenge. Therefore, I assume, it's in Tiwanaku.

I go through about 2 scenarios a day testing different things but if I find the .SAV file I'll try to flashdrive it to my internet pc and post it.

I don't doubt yours is good advice. Even though I'm behind the curve in technology and gaming by many years I want the experience, to the extent I can, as if I weren't.

I got CivIV Gold a couple years ago, before I was "done" with CivIII or had a PC with min.specs to play CivIV, and it's taken a while to try it....longer than I thought it would since hurricane Katrina came along. When our house is completely livable (and the "thousand" things to make that happen are taken care of) I'll make getting BtS a priority. But for now giving myself some time to play Warlords, when it makes sense to do so, is all that I need or can justify. So, you don't need to keep spamming my posts with "Get BTS".

Top Bottom