In a tradition game, should I build heavy prod. buildngs in all my citites?

bradebuque

Chieftain
Hi guys, I usually play with tradition, for it seems easier. But even today some buidings take 10 to 15 turns, witch seems too much, for example, a factory (the one that requires coal) . The questions are:

1. should I build something even if takes 15 turns?

2 if the answer is yes, then should I build them in all my 4-5 cities?

I would say it depends on the overall situation and on what you are trying to do. There are situations in which you are likely to need a lot of production (like being in a war, when you want to pump out a lot of military units). There might be other situations in which growth is more important. I guess one of the skills of the game is to be able to look at the situation and judge what you need to do. It is a decision-making game, and the better you can assess the situation and make decisions based on it, the better your results will be.

OK, what I realy mean is: should I keep the food focus on my cities even if it takes 15 to build a factory, or should I focus on production, speeding the construction, but hindering the growth of my city? I mean... In the carls guide he says that the city must be in food focus 90% of the time, witch is something I dont know for sure...

I'm afraid the answer is the same, really. You have to do a cost-benefit analysis (something that I never find easy). There may be times when it is a good idea to slow growth (pressure on happiness, for example) and others when it is more useful to keep the city growing (perhaps because you need the science). As I said, the game is all about making decisions, and this is just another of them. Situations can vary so much that something that would be sensible play at one time is next door to suicide in another. Finding yourself next to Attila or Shaka usually means drop everything and build units at the expense of everything else. Finding yourself with loads of space and peaceful non-expansive neighbours means there are different demands and opportunities. And of course the level at which you play may make a difference. The AI is more aggressive and competitive at higher levels, so making the right decision is more critical. At lower levels you can do what you like and it probably won't make much difference. Carl's Guides are a good starting point, but I think they become much less useful at higher levels when the situation is much more influential and you cannot simply follow a recipe (except with the very opening). Cheers!

1. Yes. The initial turn time will become lower most of the time because you might chop forests, improve tiles, citizens might be born and be used for production, etc. If you have a very food intensive city with few or no hills, and you need to speed production do not be afraid to use unemployed citizen for +1 production each. It helps sometimes, especially when you don't have any more happiness to grow.

2. Yes.

The thing is, sometimes it makes sense to just buy with cash a building instead to produce it. This depends on your economical situation and on what are the priorities. There is no standard rule to what should be bought and what should be produced. Sometimes, it makes sense to buy a Market, sometimes a University and other times a Worshop (when all 3 are available, for example). It depends on what you need the most to make your empire as strong as you can.
Production order is important, it's best to build food buildings first, then production buildings, then science, and only after these are taken care of, the other stuff. There are exceptions but this is how I do it and it works very nice.

For example: granary/water mill/aqueduct/workshop/library/university/ is much better build order than, say, library/university/workshop/aqueduct/granary/water mill;

Regarding food focus: As a general rule of thumb, you can't go wrong with food. You can test this by playing 2 games, one in which you focus food like crazy and use only food caravans, versus a game where you don't prioritize food as much and use production caravans. You will notice what it means. Exceptions are: 1) when building shrine tring to rush a pantheon (you can even starve so that you build it 1-2 turns faster), 2) building a wonder - same, build it while starving 3) during World Congress Projects - starvation needed if your production isn't high enough to win confortably.

Food focus also increases city defense so it can actually mean that you don't need to buy walls, saving you precious production or gold.
I hope this helps.

Top Bottom