In an expansion, what new districts would you like to see?

mudblood

Warlord
It's the long season between the original release, where people have gotten familiar with the game, and any expansion. I expect that, along with new units and civs and leaders, any expansion will also have new districts and buildings to place in those districts. So, I was wondering, now people have had a chance to play the game, what districts players would like to see?

Personally, I would like to see:
(1) Another district for water tiles, maybe splitting the military function from the food/trade function so that there was one district for each. (Or even three--lighthouse, shipyard, fishing port.) This would have the added benefit of increasing the number of assets in sea tiles, making naval combat more interesting.

(2) Creating a fortress district separate from the camp, with buildings that went something like stockade >> fort >> castle, that provided a combination of housing and defensive bonuses.

(3) Some kind of residential district in the midgame (before neighborhoods) for already large cities that will allow a slingshot for tall civs, like a "market town" district or something. You can't build it until you've got 8+ citizens (or something), you can only build one per city, and it has buildings that have economic and housing benefits (but no military benefit).

(4) An intelligence/diplomacy district (that can only be built in your capitol?) that houses embassies and such and provides great spy points.

I would also like to see the aqueduct made into a more interesting utility district. And I could also see a transportation hub of some kind (i.e., build one in each city, automatic link, upgrading from trails to roads to rails to freeways) that would allow more control over roads than trade routes provide without additional micromanagement.

I would like to see a canal, and I think making it a district would be a good balance for its utility.

I would also like to see a bureaucratic district. It could have buildings that enhance espionage and increase envoy generation.

I would also like to see a bureaucratic district. It could have buildings that enhance espionage and increase envoy generation.

"Embassy Row" or the International District. IF built in the Capital, it would generate Envoys and possibly, positive Influence with any nation you have Diplomatic Relations with, and Housing (near the Embassies tends to be High Class/Expense places to live). If built in another city, could be an International Trade, "Foreign" district with specialized workshops or Emporiums, generating more Gold from international Trade Routes with both Civs and City States.

In other changes, here's my two kopek's worth:

1. Get rid of the Aqueduct District. An Aqueduct should be a potentially-multi-tile Improvement: rather like the CiVI 'Great Wall' but available to all, one end must be next to the City Center, the other end (costing a Charge or more per tile) at a water source - riverside, mountain, or lake tile)

2. Add a Railroad District - Industrial Era, enhances Trade, Gold, Production, speeds up road(railroad) movement with other cities having Railroad Districts, provides room to build the usual three buildings:
Passenger Terminal - adds Gold, Amenity ('commuting to the suburbs') - Industrial Era
(Freight) Marshaling Yard - adds Production, Gold - Modern Era
Container Terminal - increases All Yields from all trade routes to/from this city - Atomic Era
Railroad District must be built next to the City Center, on non-Marsh, non-Floodplain Flat land (no Hills). It gets Adjacency bonuses from being next to Industrial, Harbor, Airport, and Entertainment Districts

The flaw with moving an aqueduct to a builder charge makes it too easy. Although if you had it as just a +2 housing improvement, then maybe it wouldn't be so bad. You could also then have it give culture/tourism in the modern area, if it survives, although you would presumably need to have it go obsolete at some point, as they obviously are not needed in the modern era. You could potentially add a "reservoir" tile improvement as another fresh water source.

I do think they may not add a lot of districts, mostly because it's already a challenge to fill up the slots, although I would expect at least one new district. Maybe they could add a new mechanism in the modern era so that, like corps, maybe you can put two districts on a tile? That would certainly be an interesting way to handle crowding on the map, and could work really well if they wanted to add new districts like the railroad or espionage/embassy district without having the map get too too crowded.

The flaw with moving an aqueduct to a builder charge makes it too easy. Although if you had it as just a +2 housing improvement, then maybe it wouldn't be so bad. You could also then have it give culture/tourism in the modern area, if it survives, although you would presumably need to have it go obsolete at some point, as they obviously are not needed in the modern era. You could potentially add a "reservoir" tile improvement as another fresh water source.

Even as an Improvement, you still have to find a source somewhere and link it to the City Center, and like all Improvements, it is easily 'pillaged' with immediate detrimental effects to the city. Also, you can always require that each tile of Aqueduct requires X Gold per turn for Maintenance, which has a good historical basis.
Aqueducts never went obsolete, they just got replaced by underground piping and Water Treatment plants. And, of course, many cities 'replaced' aqueducts with dams and reservoirs well away from the city with extensive piping to bring the water to the city - just as aqueducts had done. In the Industrial or Modern Era you could, therefore, require that Aqueducts be replaced by construction of a Reservoir Improvement and a Water Channel/tunnel to the city center to keep and enlarge the original Aqueduct benefits.

I do think they may not add a lot of districts, mostly because it's already a challenge to fill up the slots, although I would expect at least one new district. Maybe they could add a new mechanism in the modern era so that, like corps, maybe you can put two districts on a tile? That would certainly be an interesting way to handle crowding on the map, and could work really well if they wanted to add new districts like the railroad or espionage/embassy district without having the map get too too crowded.

I think 'stacking' districts would be a negative step. The whole purpose of Districts, as I see it, was to place all the buildings that used to be invisibly piled on one (city) tile visibly on the map, while stacking districts would render them invisible again.
What I could see, is the possibility of a new class of buildings for Districts in the Modern Era and later that combine Benefits that are now in separate buildings in separate Districts.
For example, a City Park that includes a venue for concerts or art (see Central Park in New York, Golden Gate Park in San Francisco for examples) so that it combines a place for Great Works, culture and Amenity all in one AND it can be built in any District.
OR a 'Galleria' or Inner City Mall that can be built in City Center or Housing Districts that provides Amenity (convenience), Housing, and Gold (sales taxes) all in one.

Those two are 'off the top o'my head', but we can probably come up with others, and they would allow more 'density' in a city without giving up Benefits or expanding the city 'footprint' on the map.

my thoughts are that the next expansion will be diplo victory focussed. So my assumption would be at the very least a diplo district will be part of that, as all other victory conditions require a district to achieve their win.

on whether multiple districts should be added I change me mind daily.
their original idea for the game was to "play the map" and so the more district options available to us would provide the possibility for cities that genuinely behave different to each other. However, I do feel that this increases the risk of imbalance between districts further ie. At present a commercial hub is almost always required. A holy site is not.
if they did bring in multiple districts and expected us to make use of them always, then I think they would need to lower district cost to make extra districts viable.

of which option is better, I cant really decide

(01) Wildcard district that has a realistic requirement to build, but allow structures from other district types, maybe with limited building bonuses...

(02) Canal which takes the tile and can be paired with adjacent Canal tiles.

(03) Ocean Farming to make productive use of ocean tiles.

(04) Ocean Residential districts, possibly even island building

(05) Biosphere district making bonuses for tiles usually considered to not be useful.

(06) Mountain Residential for tourism and housing. Ski lodges, Pueblos, Monastic Communities, and in general a limited housing boost.

Only other tile improvement would be planting a forest, jungle, river and other ecosystem improvements.

Transportation district: builds railroads between cities. food/production/gold. Allows canal builders. 2 charges. (canals aren't cheap to build IRL)

I'd like Terraforming, and more sea tile usage.

also... GIVE US SOMETHING TO BUILD ON THE STUPID JUNGLE TILES!! Gads I hate those things now.
Yes I can chop them, but then city pops get silly, and.... ugh.

Transportation district: builds railroads between cities. food/production/gold. Allows canal builders. 2 charges. (canals aren't cheap to build IRL)

I'd like Terraforming, and more sea tile usage.

also... GIVE US SOMETHING TO BUILD ON THE STUPID JUNGLE TILES!! Gads I hate those things now.
Yes I can chop them, but then city pops get silly, and.... ugh.

I suspect we will be seeing a civ's Unique Improvement that can be built on Rainforests at some point.

I would like the ability to combine two districts of the same type that were build next to each other. For example, two harbors from two cities that were build next to each other could be upgraded to an "exotic" super Harbor/seaport with some benefits. Maybe even add requirements that both districts need to have all buildings before combining into the super exotic district.

Believe this can add even more strategy to district placement which is one of my favorite parts of the game

I would like the ability to combine two districts of the same type that were build next to each other. For example, two harbors from two cities that were build next to each other could be upgraded to an "exotic" super Harbor/seaport with some benefits. Maybe even add requirements that both districts need to have all buildings before combining into the super exotic district.

Believe this can add even more strategy to district placement which is one of my favorite parts of the game

Off the top of my head I'm not sure how far back the trend goes, but in the Atomic/Information Era-equivalents (say, 1960s and later) there has been a trend to build 'Regional' infrastructure that fits into the 'District' mold: airports, specialized harbors/ports, for two. You could make a good case for earlier 'Holy Site' Districts that are divorced from any specific city (Greek temples built on headlands, major monastic installations in small Russian villages, etc).

These could result from 'combining' earlier Districts, but I'd rather see them as a special form of the District, which can be built no further than X distance from any number of cities and provide benefits to all of them.
The requirements could be that you have a road connecting all the cities and the special District, and that the District and any buildings constructed in the District can be 'built' by any of the cities, but it reduces by, say, 20% the Production during construction in all the other cities benefiting from this District as well - one way or the other, all of them will be involved in building up the installation.

Off the top of my head I'm not sure how far back the trend goes, but in the Atomic/Information Era-equivalents (say, 1960s and later) there has been a trend to build 'Regional' infrastructure that fits into the 'District' mold: airports, specialized harbors/ports, for two. You could make a good case for earlier 'Holy Site' Districts that are divorced from any specific city (Greek temples built on headlands, major monastic installations in small Russian villages, etc).

These could result from 'combining' earlier Districts, but I'd rather see them as a special form of the District, which can be built no further than X distance from any number of cities and provide benefits to all of them.
The requirements could be that you have a road connecting all the cities and the special District, and that the District and any buildings constructed in the District can be 'built' by any of the cities, but it reduces by, say, 20% the Production during construction in all the other cities benefiting from this District as well - one way or the other, all of them will be involved in building up the installation.

Yes, before the industrial era most things would be built in the city center district. The only things that would be outside would be holy sites (temples, monasteries, etc) and harbors as people usually didn't build cities directly on the coast for a whole slew of reasons. Remember in Western Europe that monasteries weren't usually founded in towns, the towns grew up around the monasteries.

In the past, I've pitched ideas for new water-based districts:
http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2017/02/05/Civ-VI-wishlist-map.aspx
And here's the civfanatics discussion topic for it: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/using-more-of-the-dead-space-in-the-map.610171/

The idea was to have Boardwalk district that could be built on water. Much like how the Harbor is a combined economy / military district that is built on water, the Boardwalk would be a combined culture / amenity district that is built on water. It would have buildings like a Marina (generates culture and/or amenity) and the option to build a Maritime Museum (with a theme bonus for shipwrech artifacts) or an Aquarium (coastal equivalent of Zoo).

And then, of course, there's the idea of a Canal district... :p

I also suggested some infrastructure that is built on mountains. An Observatory (science) or Ski Resort (amenity) would be cool additions that could be built directly on mountains. Wonders like Neuschwanstein and Machu Pichu would be good candidates for mountain wonders.

I would like to see a canal, and I think making it a district would be a good balance for its utility.

Full support for a diplomatic district.

I would like to see a 'research and technology center'. This would be available very late from the game and besides granting science, some military units could only be built if you had an exclusive building in the research and technological district. For example, Giant death robot could only be built if you had the robotic institute building in the district. Or the XCOM Squad could only be built if you had the Building Nanotechnology Center. We could think of more options.

There is a good topic about a castle district too, I think that's a good idea.

Except those units are disliked by a great many players. I'd rather see E-3 sentries and drones first.

That is something i thought being super cool as well. Also i would like to see some kind of production generating district aside from from IZ. Something like a hydro power plant/dam, geothermal power plant or a solar power plant, wih requirements being river/lake/tundra/desert.

Top Bottom