1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

In China's capital, they're calling it the "airpocalypse"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Murky, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I would hate any people who deliberately poisoned (or allowed to be poisoned through deliberate neglect) babies' formula or pet food. In these cases, China is guilty. If it were some other country, that one would earn my enmity.

And don't get me started on the abominable way cats and dogs are treated there...

2. Dann

Dann Green bug

Here it is, revealed at last. The true reason behind the fog/smog/pollution/whatever. :D

Attached Files:

3. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

The Chinese are poisoning themselves...

So how many pets are abandoned and put down in Canada last year?

A Psychic Beacon? How 1999.

4. Valka D'Ur

And the people and animals that consume the stuff they export.

Far too many. But at least they don't end up on somebody's dinner plate after having been skinned alive.

5. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

I personally find putting down unwanted animals much more callous than eating them.

6. Valka D'Ur

I know what your original post said. I get instant email notification of replies. I guess you didn't realize that animals put down in shelters are usually cremated, rather than buried. But even if they were buried, their bodies provide food for the lifeforms in the soil. I consider that a lot less disrespectful than some human stuffing his face with someone else's pet.

7. Dann

Dann Green bug

:nope: It's the Gap Generator. But you got the game correctly. :)

So it's kinda old. Still suits the purpose. I don't see why we can't use it.

8. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Oh my, I need to go back to play more RA2. :)

I seem to recall that humans are a lifeform.

And what makes cats and dogs special in this regard anyway. Where's the respect for pigs, chickens, cows, fish and assorted critters?

9. squadbroken

squadbroken King

Right, because the upstanding nations of the west would never do anything like that.

10. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Right, but the United States actually willfully on purpose tries to kill people - often innocent people - every day. I'm not saying China is all fun and games but there is plenty of stuff to take a principled stand about in this hemisphere.

11. lovett

lovett Deity

I think what is objectionable with you attitude is the way you seem to be treating the Chinese as some sort of monolithic entity. You are not saying that the government ought to increase regulations on pollution of food safety you are saying that they -the Chinese- ought to do so. This kind of thing comes out in comments like those below:

Obviously, the second comment is particularly objectionable. It is shocking to say that one has no sympathy for a people because of the actions of that people's unelected government. And it is something one only says if one isn't making a distinction between people who fall under the moniker 'Chinese'. You have not made a distinction between Chinese people who have political influence and those who do not, and that is why you are making these broad statements about 'China' and the Chinese people as a whole. And this is objectionable precisely because it means you are blaming people for things they do not deserve to be blamed for.

12. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Hell, if they could help it even the Chinese government wouldn't put melamine in milk, nor shroud Beijing permanently in smog.

13. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

What happened to the man responsible for the melamine? Didn't he commit suicide?

That was a few years ago, wasn't it? Why are we talking about it now?

14. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

It wasn't any one person. It was a combination of widespread terribad industrial practices at different levels + government incompetence (at both local and national levels). A few people were purged afterwards.

15. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

There's that word again "purged". I don't like the sound of that. Nor the word disciplined nor relocated nor redeployed.

16. Murky

Murky Deity

Not if there is a high rate of unemployment as the caption describes in the top picture.

17. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

So like Detriot... which is in decline and losing population.

18. Murky

Murky Deity

Yes. Cities that don't practice sustainable development will eventually fail and become slums. High unemployment and high rates of crime.

19. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Detroit didn't decline because it was exceptionally polluted or environmentally degraded, it declined because changing economic and demographic circumstances. As has been the case for just about every major city since the onset of the Industrial Revolution.

And densely populated cities by virtue of being more energy efficient is more environmentally sustainable.

Personally I like some green spaces and I'd like to be able breathe the air, but sprawling car-dependent suburbs, as leafy and lush as they may look, aren't models of sustainability.

20. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I know for a fact that one person who IIRC was a CEO or something was executed over it. The whole process from trial to execution was 2 weeks I believe.
    Probably true, but let's not downplay the government's direct involvement in creating the present situation.

I could just as easily say 'If they could help it, the US government would never invade another country, nor kill innocent civilians with drone strikes'.