1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

In co-op MP, what determines which ally gets a religion?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Herostratus, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Herostratus

Herostratus Grim Harbinger of Things to Come

So when you're playing with a human ally, and either you or your ally discovers or bulbs a religion-granting tech, it seems to be difficult to predict which player gets the religion (AFTER each player already has at least one).

Anybody know how the game determines this? Does it have to do with the random seed, or who's got the lower Civ score, or what?

2. TrentonC

TrentonC Warlord

Anecdotally I noticed the host seems to get it.

3. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

I don't think being the host has anything to do with it. I would suspect it to be the player with the lowest player ID. In other words you can see the priority in the game setup screen before starting. The host is always at the top, meaning the host is always player 0.

Colonization grant founding fathers to all team members and if it provides free unit(s), each player will get them. I always just assumed the same would be true for BTS, like each team member would get a missionary. However now that you mention it, I realize I never actually tested this. I never considered the issue of who gets the holy city either.

Now I get kind of curious and I know the answer lies in the DLL. In other words with enough C++ code reading, one can give a clear answer on how this is determined. I'm just not in the mood to hunt ghosts religions right now.
    :hide: