In Deity level, peace is your enemy

OmerK

Chieftain
I guess the title is a little provocative ...

But I discovered that a 12+ enemy capital (by itself) can easily outrun you during the Middle Age tech race if left to develop in peace. My 8-9 developing cities (3-7 population) were no match to stay in front the tech race.

So I re-loaded a previous save and declared war on everyone. It did take some efforts to control the following waves of attackers, but the reward was really worth it : their tech progress was clearly slowed down compared to previous attempt. And no more wonders built by the enemy was another reward.

Anyone else believing that staying at war in Deity level is a good way to slow down enemy's tech progression? fighting incoming archers/legions with your veteran units positioned in key areas such as hills can clearly be the most rewarding option in the end.

usually im already at war because i am ahead in the tech race. i usually only build 3 cities and then take the rest over through culture or military force.

I absolutely agree. I mentioned this somewhere else, but the AI are very happy to switch to fundamentalism or communism while at war which either kills their culture or their science. Not to mention the turns they waste on offensive units instead of buildings and wonders.

On deity, turtle up, don't give into their demands, and sit there in a democracy churning out techs and gold while they churn out cannon fodder.

There's really no reason to ever give into AI demands. The peace only lasts for a few turns anyway and then they'll begin demanding something else as soon as the peace treaty is over. Plus the AI is really not that good at attacking cities.

There's really no reason to ever give into AI demands. The peace only lasts for a few turns anyway and then they'll begin demanding something else as soon as the peace treaty is over. Plus the AI is really not that good at attacking cities.

I agree, even later in the game they still attack with single units. Sometimes they have 3 legions in a region and don't form an army

Sometimes I think the benefits outweigh the pitfalls. Tonight I got 10 turns of peace for 26 gold early on in the game - probably saves me having to pay more than that to rush defenses when they finally get to my city, saves me from having to switch production off libraries, etc.

Top Bottom