In Depth Units guide

Nuke_Exchange said:
Thanks. Edited what I thought was right.

So most of it you think is wrong eh? Like spelling Quechua properly (and not as Quencha), using axemen rather than spearmen against warriors, etc.

Care to explain those points where you don't agree with me?

Stalker0 said:
Its true, I'm not sure how useful the crossbowmen is overall. Its slightly cheaper than a maceman, but you get a whole lot more power out of the maceman. And I'm not really sure if the first strikes from a crossbowman make up for the huge strength difference between it and the maceman.

First Strike is big when it is Macemen you are countering. The +50% bonus vs. Melee effectively stages a 9 vs. 8 in favour of the Crossbowmen for 10 Hammers less. Consider the fact that it kills Spearmen/Pikemen, Axemen, Swordsmen & Longbowmen in open fights while your slightly more expensive City Raider promoted Maceman advances to its target. The First Strike can help to keep it healthier longer & face more adversaries before healing.

Then add that it can march with your army with terrain specific promotions (hills/forests) to defend the stack and can be used as an effective short-term garrison in newly acquired cities until suitable defenders settle in.

I like having a good number of available Crossbowmen with my strike force for the flexibility of the unit.

Stalker0 said:
Its true, I'm not sure how useful the crossbowmen is overall. Its slightly cheaper than a maceman, but you get a whole lot more power out of the maceman. And I'm not really sure if the first strikes from a crossbowman make up for the huge strength difference between it and the maceman.

Step 1: Build a Crossbow and a Pikeman

Step 2: Give the Crossbow Cover.

Step 3: Realize that you have just countered every single unit produced during the Middle Ages.

They're worth it. Really.

Zombie69 said:
So most of it you think is wrong eh? Like spelling Quechua properly (and not as Quencha), using axemen rather than spearmen against warriors, etc.

Care to explain those points where you don't agree with me?
Huh? Thought i edited that; sorry.

Very nice guide, wold be good to have it all in one file to download.
Maybe you can put it as an attachment in first post?

Zombie69 said:
Sending a war chariot against a skirmisher is pure folly. Even a horse archer is a bad move. Even axemen can't hurt them. Even sworsmen, the best city raider unit, have trouble. I would say the only counter to skirmishers is the catapult. Without some, don't even try.

Aggressive civ + Barracks = Combat 1 / City Raider 1 Swordsmen, right off of the "assembly line" (so to speak).

I used a stack of these guys (supported by Chariots, for pillaging) to kill Mali. No Catapults. His Skirmishers slowed me down a bit, but they certainly weren't unstoppable.

Zombie69 said:
Even swordsmen, the best city raider unit, have trouble.

Notice the difference between "have trouble" and "can't hurt them". Swordsmen can do it, but i certainly wouldn't call them a counter. You'll need a heck of a lot more swordsmen than there are skirmishers to stand a chance. Not my idea of a counter.

Top Bottom