1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

In God Some of us Trust...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MobBoss, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

He has a point though, congress shouldn't be praying to open the session.

2. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

who said they shouldn't be praying? It dont bother me, members of Congress have religious freedom too

3. Ziggy Stardust

I did, just now :)
    What has not having them pray to open a session to do with the religious freedom of their members?

Do they do this, or was that a hypothetical?

4. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

No, they do it for real.

Forbidding them to pray may be kosher since they're on our dime, but that would require a law - and Congress cant make any law that prohibits the free exercise of religion, including their own. ;);)

5. Ziggy Stardust

Too much to ask that congress realise they're having a religious ceremony just before they set of for decision making? Would it really require it to be forbidden?

Is there also a law forbidding congress to sing and dance to MJ's "Beat it"? They don't do that ;)

6. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

BINGO!!!

And this personal responsibility is what atheists have been trying to get people to understand. This whole "In God We Trust" nonsense on American money, 'God save _______ (fill in the blank)', and even the line in the current official version of the Canadian national anthem that goes "God keep our land glorious and free" just screams out to me that the lawmakers and leaders of our countries are sloughing off onto a supernatural being what we, as intelligent human beings, ought to be doing for ourselves! Why are we not supposed to trust ourselves for whatever reasons you American posters are supposed to trust God? Why don't humans save whoever they keep asking God to save? Canadians used to be the ones who kept our country glorious and free - when did we suddenly become incapable of doing that and beg God to do it for us?

As an atheist, I can't even sing the official version of my own national anthem without violating my own conscience! :gripe: So when it comes time for anthem-singing, I always sing the version I learned as a child. That one has NO religious references. And it did us just fine.

As far as I'm concerned, giving your conscience over to a supernatural being is just a figurative kick in the teeth to our heritage as an intelligent species. WE are the ones who we should be trusting. God isn't going to stop pollution or inflation. God isn't going to build us spaceships to go to Mars or beyond. God isn't going to cure the diseases that make our species sick. We have to do that ourselves.

I disagree with your last paragraph, Cutlass. When church and state get together, it's reason that is the casualty. Example: here in Alberta, it's just been made a law that parents are allowed to remove their children from classes that teach anything about sex education and evolution that offends their personal beliefs (the parents' beliefs, not the children's beliefs). So it's not enough that these people already have the options of Catholic schools, private schools, or homeschooling... they have to get this nonsense foisted onto the public school system as well...? :mad:

I have no objection to religious symbols in public places, as long as those public places are not also places that are connected with either the government or public education. So for me, a Nativity in the city park is fine. A Nativity in the foyer of City Hall would not be fine.

If politicians trust themselves so little that they think they need to pray before starting work, fine. Just do it privately, and don't make it compulsory. It's really revolting to me that people who opt out of these prayer sessions are made targets of ridicule, ostracism, and abuse.

7. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

He knows fully well that he's making all that up. He has no intention of being truthful or honest in this matter. He's simply trying to win an internet argument, like usual. That, and to make an excuse to keep a pro-Christian message on some building.

8. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

I dont see the difference between words on a coin..and words on a building. Still just words...not an establishment of religion.

No, I am not making all that up....and its simply a fact that Christianity doesnt own the patent on the word God or the use of it. Which is entirely the point.

Perhaps I should simply dismiss your own objections to it as emotional hate of religion in general? Sum it up nicely?

9. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

10. Ziggy Stardust

11. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

The big 3 monotheistic religions do use the word "God" with an uppercase G, which you knew already.

12. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Then again, you could just not care for what people believe in. You're closer to yourself than them anyways, and if they don't like you for your beliefs, they're not ordinary people anyways.

13. MobBoss

As I pointed out earlier, while they are indeed the largest religions of the world, they are not the only ones that do that.

Give it a rest. Use of the word "God" isnt specific enough to warrant establishment of religion.

14. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

With a capital G it does.

15. Elta

Elta 我不会把这种

16. North King

North King blech

Umm... Baha'i is a strange religion which attempts to more or less unify all the older major religions together. You, of course, know this, because you've looked into it.

You started the thread with a post that directly states you believe Atheists trust no one. That's not even subtle; it's an obvious troll.

Clever, though: trying to go for the hypocrisy angle instead of, you know, acknowledging that you have been dodging questions through the thread.

You really don't have a counter-argument, do you?

I suggest, "In God we trust?"

17. MobBoss

And since it incorporates far more than just the abrahamic religions, I dont think you can simply label the "God" that it refers to as only abrahamic.

It was meant tongue in cheek, and I thought the 'yes, no, yes?' after the comment indicated that. Guess I should have put a smiley behind it too. /oh well.

One is not really needed to indicate the simple fact that no religion has a patent on the word "God".

18. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

So how about if we use "god"?

19. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Wouldn't a patent require intellectual property?

20. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    More things militant atheists can't get over :rolleyes:. It will be on our money and it will be on government buildings, get over it. Quit sappin' mah God!