1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

In God Some of us Trust...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MobBoss, Jul 14, 2009.

1. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Well, it'd be like if.. hmm. say the government started printing: "We think that Harry Potter is awesome" on American money.

Not every American thinks that Harry Potter is awesome, so some people would say: "Why is this on our money again?"

2. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

And clause number in the Constitution while he's at it.

3. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

I just saw one yesterday! But this one's almost as bad.

Hey candle, post 242. Do you have a point?

4. Shadylookin

Shadylookin master debater

I believe in liberties not majorities. Even if every other American wanted a national religion I do not and so I should be free from government involvement in religion. In general governance majority rule should win, but the government shouldn't be allowed to just take away civil liberties.

5. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Zoroastrianism, I don't know anything about. I'll give you Ba'hai and Sikh (with other people's caveats).

But you basically fail your quest with trying to include kami and the hindu religions. Is it 'common sense' to try to 'big tent' religions into your nation, by misunderstanding them?

"In God we trust" is non-sensical from the hindu perspective. They do have a 'G'od, but to talk of it using 'we' doesn't work. If there is to be a 'we', then they would have to trust the gods, not the God.

If you want to include hindu, it will have to be "In (G)od(s) we trust".

And then, in Shinto, it would obviously also have to read "In (G)od(s) we trust".

The capitalization is small potatoes error compared to the loss of a plural.

But it doesn't matter. You're basically trying to argue with the grammatical rules regarding proper nouns. Most mobbosses, if they're halfway educated, would understand the distinction, even if you don't, Mobboss. And at least 2 of your 5 examples completely fail in supporting your point that "In God we trust" is inclusive.

6. candle

candle Prince

We do not, only the muslims would dare call it the same god, the same teachings are not even there. They worship a false god its that simple

7. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Or is it the muslims who are worshipping the right god and you're worshipping a false one? :p I'm just sayin'.

8. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Its the Abrahamic God, the same god that Christians, Muslims, and Jews worship. Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have their roots down to Abraham and his sons.
    Moderator Action: Warned for trolling. Images removed.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

9. Neonanocyborgasm

Neonanocyborgasm Deity

Trying to get any counter-religious measure passed in the US is harder than curing AIDS and cancer. I think the FFRF has been wasting its time with this and should concentrate on more substantive measures. Chasing national monuments and slogans for the sake of principle is counterproductive. Their efforts are better aimed at practical measures.

As an atheist, I am not greatly bothered by having "In God We Trust" as a national motto. I am more bothered when religion actually amounts to public policy.