In God Some of us Trust...

Things like these make me happy I live in Europe.

Former communist europe. The non-laicite countries tend to be even worse in de jure content. You know, the whole official state religion thing.

Things like these make me happy I live in Europe.

Lucky bastard... granted, I have Italian citizenship along with American citizenship... so I have no excuses for staying, lol.

Imperialmajesty said:
They why did you listen to me,

The Shaninator can't hear you!

Cause europe is such a bastion of free speech? :lol:

I think he cares less about free speech here and more anti-clericalism.

Indeed; technically it is legal, so long as it does not specify which god.

However, I would prefer it to be taken out, to respect the fact that many Americans do not believe in any deity.

A wise man once said if you try to please everyone...you end up pleasing no one.

If those folks dont believe in a diety at all why should they even care?

I actually have a solution to this. Perhaps the engraving should say "In God We Trust - But Atheists Trust No One".
Can you tell me again how you hate it when people ridicule your belief by equating it with fairy tales? And how doing that shows a lack of respect and character from the one doing that?

Where did I say that? A court's decision is not made constitutional because of its popularity, but popularity drives the court's behavior on this issue because a large majority supports the pledge and In God we Trust etc.

I think you need to think about that comment awhile longer. Let it sink in a bit.

Now I gotta name it? I dont even belong to it.

The 1st Amendment says Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion - not of a religion. Thats any and all religion...

And you see, you make the point the appeals court made about this. You cant even associate the phrase with any particular denomination or religion. You cant tell if its catholic, jewish or even muslim, or whatever.

Which is why it doesnt violate the establishment clause. Its not freedom 'from' religion, its freedom 'of' religion. Religion is a part of life in the USA like it or not, and recognizing that fact isnt really that terrible a thing to do.

Another question. If our forefathers were so hell-bent on separation of church and state....why did they have congress pray togther at every session?

Think about it.

It is so funny how insecure the religious are about their own beliefs they need to go around writing it everywhere. Do atheists insist on writing there is no God on all our buildings.

No, they just insist on friviolous lawsuits about it. :lol:

Do you think if atheists were the majority this is the first thing they would do.

Actually I think the reality of that would be a bit more scary.

I assume some European countries must be majority atheist/agnostic by now.

Which ones?

Do any have “There probably is no God” on their parliament buildings. The FFRF is correct ,I think, on the constitutionality but for all practical matters the constitution says what 5 old white guys say it says. Perhaps if we had more wise Latina women.

Which is why I mentioned it would be a great confirmation hearing question. But given that this passed the dem majority house and senate, it might not play too well for her if she doesnt give the 'wise' answer.

Well, we certainly don't respond to a bump in the markets with this:

Well, you see, thats why imagery kinda just overrides whats actually happening there. They arent praying to the idol...they are praying to God for the fiscal well-being of the USA. Slight difference there, although I will admit the choice of location is certainly not very well thought out. :lol:

Can you tell me again how you hate it when people ridicule your belief by equating it with fairy tales? And how doing that shows a lack of respect and character from the one doing that?

Should I give you the answer I get when I ask people to not equate it to fairy tales in turn? :lol:

You decide. I'm not telling you what to say or not to say.

Point being ziggy that respect goes both ways. And honestly, we dont get that much (read: any) from the 'fairy tale' crowd.

There's no law forcing you to visit places with those writings. And it's might be a good idea for you not to do so if you don't agree with it. There must be something else to do. Even if you did go, why not ignore it?

It's not like they're shoving it down your throat like other gov.s would. And there are bigger issues to talk about besides this because like I said, you can ignore some writing.

There's no law forcing you to visit places with those writings. And it's might be a good idea for you not to do so if you don't agree with it. There must be something else to do. Even if you did go, why not ignore it?

It's not like they're shoving it down your throat like other gov.s would. And there are bigger issues to talk about besides this because like I said, you can ignore some writing.

It's a national monument, it's being built with Hindu, Pagan and Atheist taxapyer's money, and is specifically intended to be something we can all rally around. Being pointlessly offensive is simply stupid. It's not a major issue on the grand scale of things, but sometimes the symbols are important.

Top Bottom