1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] In latest patch why reduce Red Coat resources (and many others) req. but not Garde Imperial?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Dearmad, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

What's the logic here? Lots of UUs in that era and type are reduced in requirements but not the French one?

2. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Tbh it's probably an oversight.

OmegaDestroyer and Icicle like this.
  3. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

Sometimes they forget to adjust things, especially when they have to list things individually instead of adjusting a whole class at once.
    For example, one of the wonder cards incorrectly boosted 2 wonders by +30% instead of +15% because it during a rewrite of the effect they forgot to take out the old references to those 2 wonders.

In a more practical example, they adjusted swordsmen a few times right after launch. The last change in that series was to change their strength from 35 to 36. However, the Roman Legion and the Kongolese Ngao Mbeba weren't changed, and so for 2 years the Ngao was at 35 strength. They added other UU swords like the macedonian Hypaspist, at 36. People had these long arguments about how it must have been intentional since the Ngao has a boost against ranged attacks, etc. But in the april patch for GS (or maybe it was GS launch?) they quietly changed the Ngao back to 36.

120% Oversight. Especially since the patch notes themselves say
    Clearly the Garde qualifies and they just forgot it in that list of 9 units.

Infixo, acluewithout and Icicle like this.
  4. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

Well they didn't do it in the data, so I guess I'll quick mod that into my personal mod.

Thanks all.

5. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing King

It's clear Firaxis hates the French and love the Aussies having removed the resource requirements for the Digger.

6. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

The French have a UU?

Leucarum, Stilgar08 and acluewithout like this.
  7. mitsho

mitsho Deity

With that oversight in mind, let me as a non-coder ask the question: Does Firaxis code sloppily?

8. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

It is not an easy answer as sloppily is rather non-specific.
    There are two major issues with coding, Lack of skill means more is missed and lack of time means more is missed. A small team with tight budgets or much to change/create is certainly prone to more issues but any issue goes beyond just the developers.

Like all things in life we sometimes miss the obvious and more often do not think of all eventualities and this is what testing is for.
    The question then is also how rigorous and out-of-the-box the testers are.

It seems to be accepted now that end users are the beta testers so we have another level as well, how much are we listened to in our feedback as well as our bug list? Firaxis seems to be going to the length of breaking general silence to state they are listening. Often we do not see some of the considerations they are also making in what they do.

life is rarely simple and blame culture typically goes for the wrong end of the food chain.

... and nope, I am not a developer (per se) but I am the person called in when everything goes wrong and has to find the answer (despite many wanting to know the cause which often includes them)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    acluewithout and mitsho like this.
  9. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Swordsmen went up to 40, then down to 36.

10. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Thanks for that answer. It does seem to me nevertheless that the just started coding and then dealt with the problems coming up instead of properly planning. (I know, agile and stuff :)). That effect can in my mind also be seen in the fact that the early game is much more thought out and better coded and that quality goes down the longer the game takes (with expansions ameliorating that to a degree since they now got time to look at those late eras :)).

Victoria likes this.
  11. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

lol, seems you already know how long a plan lasts.

I can only imagine the life at Firaxis and it would be dangerous to surmise but as you know all of these things you also know that projects are always delayed, costs overshoot and testing cycles reduced. Even with the best planning these things happen due to scope creep or just creeps in general. Once again, its more than developers.... how much do developers visit canals rather than code canals?... you can blame the developer but someone approves their expenses.

Now if lead developer means project lead and/or design lead then blame them. I do know they are not outsourcing to India their development so at least we are not in that league.

acluewithout and mitsho like this.
  12. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

I thought they went 36-35-36?
    I must have been too busy overseas when they would have made them 40. I'm trying to imagine 44 str legions!!

13. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

And ain't that an easy job , the root cause of the problem most always lies between the chair and the keyboard :)

Victoria likes this.
  14. S1AL

S1AL Warlord

These changes are written at XML level (which means it's simply a table update). In this case, it's 100% sloppiness. Digger still has a commented update for resource cost in the expansion files. Several other UU's (mostly naval) did not receive a cost reduction for resources.

Karmah likes this.
  15. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Unique units were not touched. Yeah, they messed up.

16. King of Prussia

King of Prussia Warlord

I would say the more than likely forgot. There is also the possibility there was an issue when 2 or more people merged files and one of them didn't carry over the change. It happens. Ideally they would go through the list 2-3 times to make sure whatever mass change they are doing is properly applied to all the proper units.

it doesn't help that so many things are scattered in all sorts of different files/folders, and there isn't a consistent pattern to where stuff is always at. something i found out the hard way to change unit costs a while back.

17. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

It's not a school project! Where is the code review before pushing to production?
    Seriously!

18. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

In my experience, even the best software company expect 50 or more hour work weeks for salary exempt employees, more so right before a big event. (In the US that means working overtime without overtime pay).

It's not surprising to me that things slip.

acluewithout likes this.