1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

In memory of Steve Irwin...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Boom22, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom22

Boom22 I kill VIRTUAL Spanish!

Everyone please build one city and name it in honor of Steve Irwin.:cry: :cry: :cry:

2. krasny

krasny Prince

firaxis:

please can we have a aussie civilization and can steve irwin be its leader? :lol:

3. Koelle

Koelle King of Kings

dont know him. Anyways, RIP

4. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

If anyone names their cities Steve Irwin, then I will reply by naming some of my cities things like Sting Ray! I am sorry the guy is dead-and feel especially sorry for his wife and kids-but I didn't exactly like him when he was alive, so expressing undue sorrow for him would be hypocritical on my part. Give me David Attenborough to Steve Irwin any day of the week. At least that man could inspire my love and awe of the natural world without feeling the need to prod and poke dangerous animals like he was some kind of naughty schoolboy.
    Sorry, I will stop ranting now.
    Better idea would be to name some cities Bathurst or Brockie in memory of David Brock-the King of the Mountain ;).

Aussie_Lurker.

5. holy king

holy king Deity

what a beauty!!!

6. Civ4rulesTH

Civ4rulesTH Warlord

This seems a little off topic.

7. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

Why not name an expansion after him?

8. NKVD

NKVD Cossack

they should rename Australia to Irwinalia and Canberra to just ''Steve''

9. Captain Carnage

Captain Carnage King

People aren't going to care what you name your cities

10. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

How about we all adopt the civic Environmentalism as soon as we can and keep it for the rest of the game? :p And also if you get the UN propose to have it as a global civic. :p I think that would be more fitting.

11. asylumking

asylumking Chieftain

Crikey, we miss you Steve...

12. drkodos

drkodos Emperor

I am deeply saddened at his pre-mature death, but not surprised. It was huge loss for his family, those people close to him, and those people working with him.

I am not sure the animals are too upset, though.

What are the actual merits in creating a false idol that exploited the very wildlife they claimed to be trying to preserve? In doing so, he made himself famous and a pop-culture icon in the process.

Where is the sense in continuing along self-serving and dangerous paths once one has created human lives that are dependant upon them. In fact, most sane people would regard this behavior as highly irresponsible, immature, and misguided.

Why not work to save and protect the animals you created with your own DNA instead? Eh? Most mature adults scale back their firewalking and sharkbaiting behaviors once they have a family, and for good reason. I'm gonna bet his kids would rather have their dad sitting around with them at the dinner table rather than looking at memorials and testimonials about what a great guy he was.

I have yet to have it explained to me in a rational way how disturbing animals in their native habitats helps preserve them.

In fact, all it seems to have done is to have created a whole genre of copy-cats that are now flooding the airwaves with similar exploitative behaviors.

13. pneuma

pneuma Its not made by MGLs

Gah. Why should I care more about a TV star than any of the other thousands of people who died that day?

He isn't better than anyone else, he didn't do anything to earn any tears from people who have never talked to him or seen him in person. He had a TV show and an Australian accent.

Edit: Also, I agree with Dr Kodos entirely. If his kids had just said to him "Dad, we're scared that you might get hurt," or if he had seen that he isn't immortal, he would probably still be alive.

14. Bongo-Bongo

Bongo-Bongo The Master

I've got to say, I agree with drkodos and pneuma.

Whilst Steves death is sad, it can come as no suprise due to the nature of what he did, and it is sad to see that many people every day die in much crueler and unfairer circumstances and are forgotten about, whilst someone who pretty much brought his death upon himself is plastered all over the media being labelled a great man when in reality, he was no greater then you, me or the man next door.

15. NKVD

NKVD Cossack

we should make the Steve Irwin mod...when you run environmentalist you have a slight chance that your units can be killed by wild animals

16. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Its good to see that others here share my disbelief at Australia (and, worse still, the US) making a virtual Demi-God of this man. It has all the hallmarks of the 'Cult of Personality'. As I have said, people like Jane Goodall and David Attenborough have done far, FAR more to increase our respect for the natural world-not by jumping in and antagonising the animals within it for their own amusement-but by their awe-inspiring images, words and observations about the environments they studied and the creatures which populate them.

Aussie_Lurker.

17. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Actually he did found the Steve Irwin Conservation Foundation (later renamed) and worked hard to educate the public about wildlife protection and conservation, for example in his work at Australia Zoo (in Queensland). The more irresponsible behaviour of Irwin in his documentaries is far overshadowed by the positive contributions he has made to nature conservation in Australia (and around the world I guess), though perhaps not in the media. To suggest he didn't do anything to earn tears of people who never met him is misguided.

18. Jmaz

Jmaz Chieftain

He got exatly what he wanted. He is the "Andy Whohol" of the current generation. He made his 15 mins of fame.

19. yavoon

yavoon King

steve irwin rocked. the world needs more ppl like him. and all this callous venom is shocking, considering by all accounts the love of life and wildlife he had.

worst of all is this cowardly outlook on life being displayed. u only live life once, and to have a father like steve with that much compassion and love and excitement, even as a memory would probably trump a great many of the more properly scared fathers in the world. there are hundreds of jobs that are dangerous, and steve by all accounts died by something that is orders of magnitude rarer than dying in a car crash.

celebrating life for its existance is shallow, celebrate life for what ppl do w/ it.

20. Arlborn

Arlborn Legendary Noob

Exactely...He made people watch more animal channels and care more, if it is not good, I dunno what is good...

I knew he would die like that 1 day, anyway its such a pitty..

RIP...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.