1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

In need of assistance researching the British National Party

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Keirador, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Keirador

Keirador Deity

Hello, Off-Topic Forum.
    Maybe someone around here remembers me, but probably not. I posted here somewhat frequently four years ago.
    It was on these forums that I first became acquainted with the British National Party, there were a few proponents and many knowledgeable detractors.
    What brings me back here is that for the past several months, I have been researching European radical right parties in conjunction with a professor at my school; we're writing a book. At the eleventh hour, we've decided to add the BNP to our universe of cases (it was initially discarded because Britain's political system is so different from most of the continent). I'm seeking some specific information about the BNP and it's members, some of which may seem anecdotal, but we have our reasons.

To get to the point: I was hoping that someone could provide me information on the following: examples of BNP members/sympathizers losing their jobs, friends, or social standing due their political opinions, examples of BNP members/sympathizers facing physical harm or intimidation due to their political opinions, examples of BNP rallies or meetings being protested, broken up, or threatened with violence, examples of BNP members having a hard time scheduling meetings due to such factors, or examples of government/police harassment of the BNP or its members. Alternatively, if you are a BNP member who has never experienced any discrimination due to your political opinions, or a Brit who believes that BNP members don't face such discrimination, I'd also like to hear from you.

If you can provide accounts that have been in newspapers (they don't have to have happened to you or anyone you know) I would extra appreciate it.

If anyone is curious as to exactly what the research we're doing is, just ask and I'll explain more.

Attention flamers, from both the left and the right: this is an empirical study, not a normative one. No questions whatsoever are being asked as to whether or not radical right groups are good or bad, and I won't entertain any such rants.

Thanks much!

2. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

You joined in August of 2004!

3. Keirador

Keirador Deity

So I did. Whoops.

4. Moggy

Moggy Warlord

I always find it weird watching the French Open (tennis) and seeing adverts around the side of the ground for the BNP (Banque Nationale de Paris). Really confused me as a kid!

I am no expert on the BNP but I doubt being a supporter of them would harm your job prospects in the UK. What would harm your prospects is supporting the BNP policies in the work place as any business here would have no choice but to discipline you for any form of racism, sexism or homophobia. So telling a colleague "I vote BNP" would be fine. Telling a colleague "all the blacks should be sent back where they come from" would not be.

5. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Sadly, this thread will be shut down shortly. I tried opening one but for some reason the mods forbid any threads on the BNP.

6. Rambuchan

Rambuchan The Funky President

Ralph: The reason why is because it causes too much agitation on the board and too much work for the mods. And the truth about them is too important to be ignored, yet too ugly to read about.

For example, when John Tyndall (founder of the BNP and ex-chairman of the National Front) died, there was a thread about him. We were all encouraged to "respect the dead", something those who know about him and the antics of his followers simply cannot do. The truth about him was too important to be ignored. Here's that thread.

I remember you.

This is the latest example I know of: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article4023371.ece

Given your wishes in the OP, I shall desist from setting that story into context, but a quick hop to the Tyndall thread linked above will give some idea.

These links are also somewhat relevant to your request, all focusing on the county of Essex, where the BNP is gaining ground:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4975478.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/vote2001/results_constituencies/constituencies/484.stm
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/guide/seat-profiles/romford
    http://by-elections.co.uk/GE2005/bnp_list.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2007/may/25/labourdeputy.labour

Please do. It's interesting that you are looking at the BNP facing discrimination, and not that which they have brought about.

7. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

and

Iraq
    Iran
    Bush
    Hitler
    Russia
    China etc etc dont? Not your decision I know, but almost every subject creates work for the mods here. I cant see why these scumbags cant be discussed when so many other ones can.

8. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

At that time, several BNP supporters flamed with other posters, heavily involved of Godwin's law and so they were banned.

9. Rambuchan

Oh, I agree 100%. The more people know about the BNP, the greater the light that is shone upon their policies and antics, the better.

I just read that Tyndall thread again. Good stuff.

10. SharpMango

SharpMango If in doubt, just axe!

Why dont you just contact the BNP directly? Im sure they'd be more than happy to oblige at how they are discriminated against? There will be plenty of anecdotes there to furnish your story with.....

one thing you need to be clear on however, and im not sure this comes through in your post at all. It is one thing to vote for the BNP...it is something completely different to be a party member of the BNP

11. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

I presume everyone heard about them booking a black DJ for their Xmas party....

12. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

13. Pannonius

Pannonius Reconquistador

Why don't you contact them through their web site, why posting on CFC?

14. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

I'm pretty sure that relatives who work in the prisons said that they (or, people in their positions) could loose their jobs if they voted BNP...

15. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

Yeah..and how alot of their members walked out because of it..

16. Keirador

Keirador Deity

Oh, also if anyone had employment data on BNP members, I would really appreciate that. I've been having a hard time finding such things.

Oh, we're contacting the BNP directly as well. However, the news sources they tend to use to substantiate their claims are their own newsletters, which, while useful, don't quite cut the mustard. I've also gathered a lot from national newspapers, as well as scholarly articles. My point in posting here was to contact regular Britons who would have knowledge of local or smaller newspapers, articles I may have missed not reading such newspapers every day, television news, and even personal experiences that would be difficult for me to find from Massachusetts. I recalled there being people here with strong opinions on the BNP, I thought I would give this a try.

Cheers! You've been very helpful.

Well, as I said earlier, this is part of a larger study on the European radical right in general. In some places (Austria, Denmark, Flanders, etc.) the radical right has done quite well (we define "success" as garnering at least 10% of the vote in two successive national parliamentary elections). However, the radical right has remained obscure in very similar countries (Germany, Norway, Wallonia, etc.) There have so far been a number of theories advanced as to why this might be, yet time and changing conditions have disproven all of them.

My professor and I are testing the theory that the main difference between successful radical right groups and failing ones is human capital. Groups with large numbers of effective, intelligent people in them who can frame their policies in ways agreeable to the mainstream population succeed, while groups that remain the exclusive redoubt of inveterate racists, conspiracy theorists, Holocaust deniers, unreconstructed Nazis, and/or the plain old demented (not to forget internet trolls) do not. Our study is concerned with the make-up of the human capital available to radical right groups.

To try to summarize the argument of a 400 page book, basically we look at historical origins of radical right parties and incentive structures in their countries to understand what sort of people join the radical right groups. Countries with long histories of tolerating an ultranationalist or far-right milieu are good breeding grounds for radical right parties, as there are already many people in the country who largely shared their views, and even if this is an unpopular view in the mainstream, the far-milieu should be developed enough that it can sustain itself. This milieu provides a party with effective activists, which are crucial, and a base of relatively moderate voters. Incentive structures are important in either attracting or discouraging political entrepreneurs, which are vital in providing a stable of competent career bureaucrats, administrators, and legislators. These political entrepreneurs will stay away from a party if the cost of joining is too high (social ostracization, government harassment, threats of violence, difficulty with other potential employers). However, if there are no social costs to joining, then the prospect of joining a new populist party offers opportunity for much faster advancement than one could find in a traditional party, so a radical right group gets all the political entrepreneurs it needs.

For this particular case, it does seem obvious that the BNP is failing, and that this is due in no small part to the revulsion with which the British people greet them. A comparison could be made to our study of the Republikaner party in Germany, where a party leader himself actually admitted that his party members were people who "had nothing left to lose".

The book is provisionally titled "How Radical Right Parties Organize" and should be published in spring 2009. Its argument suggests that Rambuchan and others like him are in effect successfully preventing the rise of the BNP by heartily disapproving of them.

17. Keirador

Keirador Deity

I hope this isn't true. Hey mods, wanna let me live? I can prove this is actually a legitimate project. It's even sponsored by a major research university.

18. Keirador

Keirador Deity

That would be excellent for me. Do you have anything I could use, maybe a printed article, a copy of employer guidelines, or even perhaps the name and contact information of the relative(s) who claimed that?

19. Rambuchan

20. Keirador

Keirador Deity

Thank you and yes, I'm actually considering including them in a separate study on populism, but they don't fall neatly into the category of "radical right". Do you disagree?