In passing ... Civ6 in China?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abaxial

Emperor
I am interested to read that the Chinese government is now trying to ban any mention of Genghis Khan, and the words "Mongol" and "empire" may not appear in close proximity. I wonder if this means that Civ6 is going to be blocked from sale in China?

I am interested to read that the Chinese government is now trying to ban any mention of Genghis Khan, and the words "Mongol" and "empire" may not appear in close proximity. I wonder if this means that Civ6 is going to be blocked from sale in China?
I don't know how the Chinese system works, of it would work retroactively (ie would Civ VI be exempt because it's already present?), but I imagine that even if it weren't, they'd just remove the Mongols. Civ VI probably makes a fair amount of money and I imagine it wouldn't be too much work to remove a Civ.

Edit: To clarify, I mean it would be removed from the Chinese copies.

Last edited:

Where did you read this? I could only find any mention of this issue in relation to a specific exhibition in a French museum that is colaborating with a Chinese one. Nowhere in the news I found did it say that this was applicable to anything else.

Civ 6 is selling in China via Steam, an American video game digital distribution service.

Unless PRC government try to ban Steam, or Valve try to develop a Chinese version of Steam with Tencent, a blocking is highly unlikely.

Civ 6 is selling in China via Steam, an American video game digital distribution service.

Unless PRC government try to ban Steam, or Valve try to develop a Chinese version of Steam with Tencent, a blocking is highly unlikely.
I don't know anything about the specific issue of "mongol empire" censorship in China, but Valve is working on a Chinese version of Steam that will allow the Chinese government to censor whatever they like.

PCGamer: "Right now, the Steam situation in China is muddy at best: As Steven explained in his in-depth report on "censorship, Steam, and the explosive rise of PC gaming in China," the Chinese authorities tightly regulate videogames in the country, yet Steam has somehow escaped scrutiny—and nobody seems quite sure why. Perhaps working on the assumption that this state of affairs can't hold forever, Valve is working with Chinese gaming company Perfect World to launch an officially-sanctioned version of its storefront in the country."

I don't know anything about the specific issue of "mongol empire" censorship in China, but Valve is working on a Chinese version of Steam that will allow the Chinese government to censor whatever they like.

Yes, so before that any blocking is unlikely.

Isn't something like 0.5% of the worlds population a direct descendent of Genghis Khan? (I don't know where I am going with this, it just seems ridiculous to me)

"I am interested to read that the Israeli government is now trying to ban any mention of Adolf Hitler, and the words "Nazi" and "Third Reich" may not appear in close proximity. I wonder if this means that Civ6 is going to be blocked from sale in Israel?

That's all I read. Dudes have bad blood, it's not surprising they'd rather not see that civilization anymore than most people want to see Adolf Hitler. I amazed that Mao and Stalin made it into the game tbh. Khmer's alternate leader should be Pol Pot. Why not.

More interesting would be how China would choose or want to depict Mao Zedong in Civ4.

From what I understand there has been some unrest in a Chinese province that has a large or even a majority of ethnic Mongols. Resistance against the government's attempts of assimilation, hence the Chinese government does what it does best: repression. So they are being difficult with the French museum exposition.

Last edited:
"I am interested to read that the Israeli government is now trying to ban any mention of Adolf Hitler, and the words "Nazi" and "Third Reich" may not appear in close proximity. I wonder if this means that Civ6 is going to be blocked from sale in Israel?

That's all I read. Dudes have bad blood, it's not surprising they'd rather not see that civilization anymore than most people want to see Adolf Hitler. I amazed that Mao and Stalin made it into the game tbh. Khmer's alternate leader should be Pol Pot. Why not.
Surely you are not comparing Genghis Khan with Hitler?

So in all seriousness what exactly is so bad about the history of Ghenkis Khan in China? I mean, yes he raided and conquered their lands but there's hardly any nation that didn't have that happen to them at some point in history.

Personally I think companies are Moderator Action: <<SNIP>> on China, along with a good portion of western European countries.

Moderator Action: Please help us maintain a family friendly atmosphere by using more appropriate phrases. Inappropriate content removed. leif
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
So in all seriousness what exactly is so bad about the history of Ghenkis Khan in China? I mean, yes he raided and conquered their lands but there's hardly any nation that didn't have that happen to them at some point in history.

Personally I think companies are Moderator Action: <<SNIP>> on China, along with a good portion of western European countries.

Because there's a movement in China to make everyone who lives in China "Chinese" and to have a new, national identity that eliminates all minority languages and traditions. So, Mongolians who live in China (Inner Mongolia) can't be Mongolian anymore. No history, no traditions, no language. Always and forever just Chinese. And that means that Kublai Khan is Emperor Shizu and he was always Chinese. See? No Mongolian Empire, no Ghengis.

It's total nonsense and no company should bother to obey it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because there's a movement in China to make everyone who lives in China "Chinese" and to have a new, national identity that eliminates all minority languages and traditions. So, Mongolians who live in China (Inner Mongolia) can't be Mongolian anymore. No history, no traditions, no language. Always and forever just Chinese. And that means that Kublai Khan is Emperor Shizu and he was always Chinese. See? No Mongolian Empire, no Ghengis.

It's total nonsense and no company should bother to obey it.
It scary to think you can wipe out history when internet has already been invented. I don't understand why they don't use a bit better path of propoganda and embed Ghenkis Khan as a part of "proud Chinese history" instead of stupidly trying to deny he existed.

I don't understand why they don't use a bit better path of propoganda and embed Ghenkis Khan as a part of "proud Chinese history" instead of stupidly trying to deny he existed.

They actually did that; when I was in middle school and high school, the textbooks tried very hard to sinicize a lot of non-Chinese historical figures.

The "problem" is the current regime messed up this scheme and decided to triumph Han-Nationalism instead.

Proof? I don't want to be rude, but without some article supporting your claim it's just hearsay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom