In praise of Max Turns

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Jonathan, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Prince

Max Turns is one of the advanced game setup options; it enables you to specify the game length in turns, in advance. When you reach that point, the game's over.

I tried using it after trying to play a Civ V game to completion, and failing because I got terminally bored.

I now set Max Turns to about 200, and I'm happier, because the game stops before boredom sets in. I reckon that, if I'm already winning on score by turn 200, the rest of the game would be a waste of time, so I may as well declare victory and stop. And, if I'm not winning on score by turn 200, I'm not doing well, so I may as well give up.

I play at Prince level because I don't like playing with handicaps.

2. Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco Callous Calling

Dear Jonathan,

You obviously have not read the forum rules and have posted a topic that has been repeated endlessly. Secondly, your topic is clearly positive about Civ5 and therefore a rave which means you have duplicated yet another thread.

3. John-SJ

John-SJ Chieftain

Well, whether it is an endlessly repeated topic or not, I was unaware of this feature until reading this thread. Somehow I have missed the mention of it until now. I have seen the option when setting up a game, but have never explored its purpose.

So, thanks Jonathan for pointing this out. It sounds like a neat idea!

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Prince

"A topic that been repeated endlessly" — really? I've been looking at the forum from time to time and haven't noticed it. Indeed, I've tried a search and I don't see it mentioned in any other thread title. However, if you're bored with the topic, feel free not to read this thread again.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Prince

John, thanks for your comment, glad to have helped someone.

6. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Please provide a link to the thread where this has been discussed before.

Otherwise, please get back to discsssing the topic.

Ontopic: I think this is an interesting suggestion. I haven't much considered playing with this option but there isn't really any reason to not have. My understanding is that it's commonly used for multiplayer matches, particularly in duels. For example in civ4 multiplayer often a turn limit of around 100 to 120 turns was used. Usually the player winning by that time would be the winner anyway.

7. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

It's an interesting idea, but what if I'm particularly enjoying that game and don't want to quit yet? Instead of having the game end at a preselected turn number, I'd rather just quit once I get bored.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Prince

bonafide11: That's a good point. But, for some psychological reason, I like to have a definite end of game provided by the game itself. If I just decide to quit, it feels like an Abandoned Game rather than a Finished Game.

Max Turns is not really a good solution to anything: it's a workaround for someone like me who isn't satisfied with any of the standard victory conditions. But, for me, such a workaround is better than nothing.

If you come to the end of the max turns and you want to play on, I believe the game gives you the option to do that.

What I'd like to see in the game is a new victory condition that ends the game whenever you have the top score and you're x% ahead of the next player; where x can be adjusted as one of the game setup options.