In Progress Now! Aztec!

Traianus

Why is it dark in here?
'Aztec' by Gary Jennings is probably the greatest novel I ever read. It inspired me to travel all over Mexico, visiting ruins of temples and pyramids. I want to put the book(and it's first sequel) into a mod.

Those of you with a more critical eye will notice that central Mexico is far wider than it should be. This is beacause so many races are sqeezed into such a small region I thought it would be better for gameplay to give them a little room to move. For example look at the Valley of Mexico. Those cities are as close as they can be in game terms but still, in real terms, too far apart.

The game will begin with the formation of the Triple Alliance in 1428(acc. to most sources). The player will be in a locked alliance with the Acolhua of Texcoco and the Tecpaneca of Tlacopan. You begin at war with the Culhua to the south. You'll need to defeat them quickly and then turn your attention to Chalco in order to control the Valley of Mexico.

I've placed a 'corridor' of sea to ensure that, at the appropriate time, the Spanish will arrive at Vera Cruz and nowhere else.

Here are the Races included so far;

Mexíca, Tecpaneca, Acolhua (locked alliance)
at war with,
Culhua.

Other Nahuatl speakers,
Chalco
Texcala
Tolóca

Northern civs,
Purempécha
Otomí
Totonaca
Teenek(Huasteca)
Chichimeca
Azteca of Aztlan
Islands of the Women
Raramurí
Yaki

Southern civs,
Tya Nuu (Mixteca)
Ben Zaa (Tzapoteca)
Olmeca
Yopitzingo
Mame
Chiapa
Maya
Southern Maya

And of course during the second half of the game we can expect Spain to drop by!

All ideas and help will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Aztec0.02.zip
    54.9 KB · Views: 340
Yeah it's a problem with so many nations in such a small area. Allthough I do like the fact that Tenoch is so so infringed. It's exactly as it was - nothin but a bit of swamp!

Yeah, I'm thinking to have Texcoco as a locked ally but only allow them a limited number of settlers during the game. I was thinking of opening the scenario with Mexica/Texcoco at war with Azcapotzalco. They'll fall quickly but not too quickly and then the player will have a real basis for empire building.
Re: Texcala. I was thinking of surrounding their territory with LM terrain that's impassable to all others until later in the game with new units.

Yeah, but in the 'Aztec' series they're called Texcala. Who's to say who got it right but there are many incidences in the books where names are different than from common usage.

I've already done some, just never got round to finishing the pcxs/posting them. As soon as AD is finished, I'll ensure they get finished/uploaded. Here are the Mesoamerican ones:

For the record, there's also other Native American ones:

I might just do a few tweaks and re-render them, but hopefully, they'll be of use to you :) .

I'm sure I can make some of them era-specific. IIRC, though, the red headdress didn't look all that great in animation - there were shadow issues that I need to sort out. The buffalo headdress, by contrast, does look pretty cool. Was it the guy with the buffalo headdress you were interested in?

well I am not sure if this is still needed but this is what I have so far

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 542
Top Bottom