"In rough/open terrain"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cursif

Chieftain
Might be a stupid question but does this mean the terrain the unit is standing in is rough/open or the terrain the unit is heading into is rough/open. Having a hard time interpreting this. Thanks.

I do not have civ v, but in all previous titles tie you are moving into define movement cost and attack bonuses/penalties, no matter what tie you are standing in.

Frrom what I've observed, if you are the attacker you are moving into a tile and that tile's properties count (i.e., is it open or rough). If you are being attacked you remain on the tile you are standing on and that tile's property counts.

Also it appears cities are never rough or open, there's a specific city bonus.

If you're not certain you should be able to observe the bonus in the battle info text.

It is reffering to the tile that the unit being attacked is standing on.
If you're attacking, then its the enemy units tile.
If you're defending, its the tile ou are standing on.

It's quite literally whatever tile your unit is in while the combat is taking place.

Melee Combat takes place whenever a unit tries to enter a tile occupied by an enemy unit.

Thus, if you're being attacked, combat is taking place on your tile. If you're attacking, the combat is taking place on their tile.

In sum, the Drill and Shock promotions are both defensive and offensive promotions. No matter if you're standing in the terrain type getting attacked, or attacking a unit on the terrain type... you will receive the bonus.

Ah, that's good to know. I was choosing my promotion based on whether the city I was sieging was on a hill or not. I'll have to stop doing that.

Well then how can you explain this:

There is a barbarian camp sitting on a flat tundra tile. All tiles but one around it are also flat tundra but one which has a hill. My Horseman approaches from a flat tundra tile and the battle prediction shows a minor victory (I kill 4 barbarians but 3 of mine die) if I attacked I moved my Horseman to the hill it changed to a total victory (I kill all of them but only lose 2).

I've been placing all my units on hills and always attacking from hills wherever possible and the victory conditions have been overwhelmingly in my favor.

Well then how can you explain this:

There is a barbarian camp sitting on a flat tundra tile. All tiles but one around it are also flat tundra but one which has a hill. My Horseman approaches from a flat tundra tile and the battle prediction shows a minor victory (I kill 4 barbarians but 3 of mine die) if I attacked I moved my Horseman to the hill it changed to a total victory (I kill all of them but only lose 2).

I've been placing all my units on hills and always attacking from hills wherever possible and the victory conditions have been overwhelmingly in my favor.

On p58 of the manual it says "Attacking units get bonuses when attacking from a hill." I assume it's the +25% bonus that's listed as a terrain bonus.

You get a bonus for attacking from hills regardless of promotions I believe.

To be more specific, Drill and Shock only apply to combat against units anyway. While it is pretty easy to verify that you don't get any bonus attacking cities (regardless of the city's terrain type) I believe this also means you don't get any defensive bonus if the city attacks you.

On p58 of the manual it says "Attacking units get bonuses when attacking from a hill." I assume it's the +25% bonus that's listed as a terrain bonus.

Oooooh. Splendid. I did not know that. <3

To be more specific, Drill and Shock only apply to combat against units anyway. While it is pretty easy to verify that you don't get any bonus attacking cities (regardless of the city's terrain type) I believe this also means you don't get any defensive bonus if the city attacks you.

Presumably the ranged damage protection bonus promotion applies though.

What about ranged attack? drill/shock affect the terrain you are standing on or the one you are shooting to?

hmm, in the combat display ive never seen a bonus for attacking from hills though

What about ranged attack? drill/shock affect the terrain you are standing on or the one you are shooting to?
The one you're shooting at. I took Drill promotions for my War Chariots. They never enter rough terrain because it is always end of turn and no defense bonuses for them, so the combat bonus definitely comes from the target tile.

How does it apply to ranged units?
My understanding is that if a ranged unit has a rough terrain bonus, it does more damage to an enemy standing in rough terrain than it does to an enemy standing in open terrain. The opposite applies to a ranged unit with open terrain bonus.

Moderator Action: Thread closed. If you wish to discuss the topic, please start a new thread. Posts deleted that were off topic. If you see something that requires moderation, please report it in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom