1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

In Search of Perfection IV Terraforming

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by Laser77, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Laser77

Laser77 Chieftain

1.you should transform horses into forests as soon as possible.
    2.when you have an oil ressource on a swamp field, transform to plains and then to forest for game ressource which produces 4 food and 3 production shields when railroaded.
    3. same Deal with gem ressource on djungle Square.
    4.There is no way back from a plain/forest square to a grassland/swamp/djungle square.
    5. check out the ressources line on the map. Sometimes „mining on an unproductive grassland square may result in a gameOnForest field. Another option is to use Dack‘s Terraform tool to check the yellow spots on the map before transforming a grassland into forest.

devolution likes this.
  2. Mize

Mize Warlord

Under almost all circumstances horses on plains are better than game in forest. Plains with horses, irrigation and railroad give you 3 food, 2 trade and 4 production. Forest with game and railroad gives you 4 food and 3 production. You should never turn horses into game, unless your city lacks the food it needs to work another hill/ocean/gem square. Same goes for gems. Only turn them into forest, plains or grassland if you don't have enough food to work all other city squares.

dark_pretender likes this.
  3. Laser77

Laser77 Chieftain

That’s right in a regular game.
    Thanks for your reply.
    In the later Game you can develop your cities to maximum size. When you have four horses in your city area and turn them to forest you get four extra food so your city may grow for example from the size of 31 to 33 giving extra 650000 population. This option is meant to maximize the games parameters and civilization score in the end.

So in the beginning of the game horses are the better choice while in the very end of the game when there is no more building to produce and you feel like sacrificing two trades and one shield for the opportunity to increase your population turn the horses into forest.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  4. Laser77

Laser77 Chieftain

BTW this transformation is possible in both ways so according to your needs you can decide if food output or trade is your priority.

According to the circumstances, it can make sense mining an oasis or irrigating a coal mine as well.

Since any city growth requires Two food, in the end of the growth potential of your city you will have some impair food storages which Leeds to starving/growing effect. In that case you might want to stabilize your food storage to a pair number so this effect doesn’t produce any more messages/population irritation.

5. Laser77

Laser77 Chieftain

Or alternatively build a settler which will require one food/turn and sentry it in the city.

6. Mize

Mize Warlord

Efficiency is my priority. Maximizing food is only good for population growth, but trade and production will almost always suffer because of that. All citizens beyond the 20th are generally less effective than those working the land, unless the land is bad or unimproved. Beyond a certain even higher number, 28 I think, extra citizens become basically useless, except for scoring purposes. Hell, there's even been some debate here if it's actually effective to grow cities up to 20. It seems it isn't. See this thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/city-sizes.318399/.

Generally speaking, if you want to be effective, land that can support more than 20 citizens should be shared by more than one city. Let's take an extreme example: the proverbial size 42 city from your first post. Imagine it is built in the middle of an island that is the same shape as the city's 21 tile cross, all grassland, all railroaded and irrigated. It is actually much more effective to have 3 cities on that island, with every city working 7 grassland tiles. This way, with proper placement every city can work 10-11 ocean squares and comfortably grow to size 18-19. What do we get now? A total of up to 60 citizens (if there's some fish) and almost 100 extra trade arrows from the 30+ ocean squares you are now working. It's not as cool as the city menu displaying 9,000,000 population, but it's certainly a better deal.

7. Laser77

Laser77 Chieftain

That’s a good point. Maybe I should think over my strategy.

At least I will give it a try.

I love to share experience soThanks for your expertise so far.

8. Posidonius

Posidonius Civherder

Yes. If you seek to maximize the civscore, that means population. Nice results may be gained by fast conquest or 30,000 tourists on Alpha Centauri, but the hyper-score games are all about population. In my games, all horses all gems and all oil, they all turn into deer-forest. Just make sure to lay down the Railroad before planting the forest!

I don't wait until the very end of the game. Deer-forest is always more useful than horse-plains. If you are playing the kind of game that has a "late" stage, then shields+wheat is always more useful than the trade arrow, and sooner is better than later. Money means nothing, bulbs mean nothing. Before the late stage, the build/sell cycle of SDI Defenses provides all the income you will ever need. During the late stage, the problem is too many trade arrows, trying to bleed money out of your treasury so it doesn't roll over to 00,000 and wipe out a Granary in East Podunk, while keeping Future Tech advances to a manageable pace so you don't trash the planet before Alpha Centauri Day. Uncomfortable to say aloud, but in Civ1, the best civscore is for the leader who trashes the planet one day after Alpha Centauri Day.

9. Mize

Mize Warlord

Of course, if you're aiming to maximize population, forest with game is better than plains with horses, but I never push Civ that far. I like playing quickies with either small, efficient empires, or one city challenges. So for me the late stage of the game is the space race, which includes getting the necessary technologies before the AI and accumulating cash.