In the USA, 48% reject evolution, 34% of college graduades are Biblical creationists

aneeshm

Deity
Quite interesting.

Link

March 30, 2007 - A belief in God and an identification with an organized religion are widespread throughout the country, according to the latest NEWSWEEK poll. Nine in 10 (91 percent) of American adults say they believe in God and almost as many (87 percent) say they identify with a specific religion. Christians far outnumber members of any other faith in the country, with 82 percent of the poll’s respondents identifying themselves as such. Another 5 percent say they follow a non-Christian faith, such as Judaism or Islam. Nearly half (48 percent) of the public rejects the scientific theory of evolution; one-third (34 percent) of college graduates say they accept the Biblical account of creation as fact. Seventy-three percent of Evangelical Protestants say they believe that God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years; 39 percent of non-Evangelical Protestants and 41 percent of Catholics agree with that view.

Although one in ten (10 percent) of Americans identify themselves as having "no religion," only six percent said they don’t believe in a God at all. Just 3 percent of the public self-identifies as atheist, suggesting that the term may carry some stigma. Still, the poll suggests that the public’s tolerance of this small minority has increased in recent years. Nearly half (47 percent) of the respondents felt the country is more accepting of atheists today that it used to be and slightly more (49 percent) reported personally knowing an atheist. Those numbers are higher among respondents under 30 years old, 62 percent of whom report knowing an atheist (compared to just 43 percent of those 50 and older). Sixty-one percent of the under-30 cohort view society as more accepting of atheists (compared to 40 percent of the Americans 50 and older).

Still, it is unlikely that a political candidate would serve him or herself well by declaring their atheism. Six in ten (62 percent) registered voters say they would not vote for a candidate who is an atheist. Majorities of each major party — 78 percent of Repulicans and 60 percent of Democrats — rule out such an option. Just under half (45 percent) of registered independents would not vote for an atheist. Still more than a third (36 percent) of Americans think the influence of organized religion on American politics has increased in recent years. But the public is still split over whether religion has too much (32 percent) or too little (31 percent) influence on American politics. Democrats tend to fall in the "too much" camp (42 percent of them, as opposed to 29 percent who see too little influence) as Republicans take the opposite view (42 percent too little; 14 percent too much). In the poll, 68 percent of respondents said they believed someone could be moral and an atheist, compared to 26 percent who said it was not possible.

I cut out the rest of the stuff, as it was not pertinent.

More proof of biased media

But the question is, is Newsweek biased and has a faulty poll, or is it the rest of the media that shows religion and belief in God as uncool and dying out that is inaccurate? :hmm:

I wonder what other sciences the 48% of those polled reject?

Graduation from college does not necessitate intelligence.

Also, having a few inane, unexamined beliefs doesn't imply stupidity.

Those Newsweek numbers seem bizarre to me. Either they're way off or I live in a bubble because I don't think anyone I know regularly attends church or temple.

Here's some other numbers.
The fastest growing religion (in terms of percentage) is Wicca -- a Neopagan religion that is sometimes referred to as Witchcraft. Numbers of adherents went from 8,000 in 1990 to 134,000 in 2001. Their numbers of adherents are doubling about every 30 months.

14.1% do not follow any organized religion. This is an unusually rapid increase -- almost a doubling -- from only 8% in 1990. There are more Americans who say they are not affiliated with any organized religion than there are Episcopalians, Methodists, and Lutherans taken together.
USA Today/Gallup Poll in 2002-JAN showed that almost half of American adults appear to be alienated from organized religion. If current trends continue, most adults will not call themselves religious within a few years. Results include:

• About 50% consider themselves religious (down from 54% in 1999-DEC)
  • About 33% consider themselves "spiritual but not religious" (up from 30%)
  • About 10% regard themselves as neither spiritual or religious.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_prac2.htm

Not having an affiliated religion does not mean one does not believe in God ;)

Not having an affiliated religion does not mean one does not believe in God ;)
Good point. I suppose the vast majority of people I know believe in God and that's about as far as it goes.

Article said:
Nearly half (48 percent) of the public rejects the scientific theory of evolution; one-third (34 percent) of college graduates say they accept the Biblical account of creation as fact.

Do they include graduates from non-accredited 'institutions' such as Bob Jones 'University'?

Looks like there is no need to teach creationism in public school science classes as it seems to be holding up well enough on its own from just being taught on Sundays.

Its impressive how little you can get away with knowing about science when you're doing a humanity.

If 48% of Americans beleive in biblical creationism then 48% of Americans are ******s

America isn't the only country that has plenty of morons, but it certainly does have a lot of problems

Moderator Action: Warned for trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I can tell you right now that the article is WRONG if it says 48% disbeileve evolution like the title.

Thats is WRONG. Just because your christian doesnt mean the majority of christians in this country are creationists.

Being a young earth creationist is pretty much taboo in this country. People will think your an idiot.

If 48% of Americans beleive in biblical creationism then 48% of Americans are ******s

America isn't the only country that has plenty of morons, but it certainly does have a lot of problems

Thank you for the wonderful bashing :goodjob:

Lovely way to add to the discussion

again, I question the accuracy of the poll, but not only is Newsweek biased, but so is the majority of the news and media that seems to think religion is old fashioned and stupid.

Top Bottom