In What Electronic Entertainment Have You Been Partaking #19: Cyberpunked

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aelf, Dec 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I am quite fond of districts in Civ 6. For one, I think it is more realistic that cities spread out over multiple tiles rather than everything being in one tile.

For another, it makes each game less formulaic as you have to pay attention to he terrain a lot more.

It also adds a level of strategy to the game that was previously lacking when it comes to disreict placement. There is also a tactical level it adds to the game as it allows you to build true defense in depth by careful placement of districts, forts and baracks.

I used to insist in building every building in every city like @Synsensa and so was frustrated by the choices that districts force on you but I have come to love it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Birdjaguar, warpus and Synsensa like this.
  2. Kjara

Kjara Warlord

For Zeal, one idea I've seen is frostbolt-spellslinger-gmp + frost nova as your primary spell -- aka use attacks to push out the frost bolts+get fanatic charge, then self cast the novas on the frostbolts with the buff since that has always been a two spell combo. Other than that your best bet might be to try to rely on a movement skill (e.g. leap slam or shield charge) for triggering it? With the 2nd level of the consecrated group keystone that lets your life regen also work with ES, you prob want to go hybrid ES/Health and may not want the agnostic. Mind over matter might be a better way to use mana as a defensive stat if you wanted to go that direction.

More generally, seems like a decent league so far- though you end up having to defer the better items pretty often (at least early on that seems to be the case) -- took about 3 defers before I could afford a goldrim to fix my resists while pushing through acts. Isn't as horribly overtuned as Delerium was at the start, but while the rewards are nice so far, they don't seem like they will be as broken as what you could do with harvest. Multi-boss fights seem like they could get interesting though.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  3. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

I've found some good items in the rituals and even my first chaos. Having to search for the 2 or 3 locations slows down forward progress though. I was hoping to finish Act 2 tonight, but probably won't.

I've been thrown out of the game too many times to count. It usually happens in transitions and if the waypoint is far, I have to rerun areas. :(

4. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Got Battlefront 2 for free on Epic Games. Based on the first mission, the game made a bad first impression.
    Long load times for the first mission, with no menu music or other animation to look at. In a Star Wars shooter I want to get blasting with a big set piece action battle. AT-ATs advancing, speeders dashing over hills, etc. Instead I get a rubbish stealth section in boring halls. Then upon finishing the first mission and exiting, another long load time to bring me back to the menu.
    Very pretty game though.
    Shooting controls feel a bit off. Might need to fiddle with mouse sensitivity.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  5. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Probably nitpicking here, but why would Rome during Attila's time be able to build Paladins, which are supposed to be a late medieval heavy cav?

6. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey.

7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I destroyed an entire civilization with loyalty pressure which is cool af
    (Civ 6)

____

Not only did CD Projekt Red lie about the state of Cyberpunk before release, and not only did they try and hide this by not giving out review codes, but they also made a completely fake demo of the game for E3 which was separate from the actual game which cost them months of development time.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  8. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Age of Empires has always used its standard units as stand ins when they didn't have the historically appropriate unit available for the scenario. In this case Paladins are used as whatever the appropriate heavy cavalry would be.

aelf likes this.
  9. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I'm trying to get a multiplayer match going for my new Civ2 Test of Time Patch Project scenario: The Cold War 1947 - 1991. It uses lua events to allow for some interesting features like proxy wars, and was inspired by First Strike. If anyone wants to check it out, the download is in the thread. It would be great to get some new players.

10. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

That comes under the category of but why?

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  11. aelf

aelf Ashen One

According to CDPR, it's no more fake than E3 demos usually are. Considering what we regularly see in those and what we actually get (e.g. for Anthem), I'm inclined to believe it.

And the last I heard they didn't give out review copies for last gen consoles because those versions were being worked on till the last minute. Has there been any new info?

12. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

Thanks to winter, my room temperature is bit lower and my still crappy laptop can handle a bit better GTR2 racing game and I had some surprise - as "keyboard warrior" I always thought that I can't do anything at all with ABS and Traction control completely off (well, it really try to spin rear around) but my best laptime of same track was only 0,2 seconds (1.53.8 vs 1.54.0) apart from full ABS/Traction control and completely off - car behavior was different (well, 2nd gear was really spinny) but same time it got down power more easily and could use powerslide on turns exits more. For longer periods it still does result in more costly mistakes (off-track vs spin) but it isn't that bad as I thought before. I guess with hundred years of experience, some skill showed up :think:

13. Voenkomat

Voenkomat Chieftain

Does anyone still play civ2?

14. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

There's a pretty strong community for a 20 year old game. Of course my challenge is that community is mostly in MGE, which funnels further to ToT, which funnels even further to ToTPP, which then funnels even further to a group of folks who have ToTPP and are willing to play a large multiplayer game with it :)

If anyone out there is interested, we still need a player for China and the European Community.

15. Voenkomat

Voenkomat Chieftain

Clearly.I understood

Sofista likes this.
  16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Why are they getting any benefit of the doubt at his point? They are under investigation for fraud for pete's sake.

Which is the same as saying that the game didn't work and shouldn't have been released. It also is saying they were trying to deceive the public and reviewers by withholding the codes so they wouldn't know.

One new tidbit is now the company is trying to claim they did give out last-gen codes but reviewers say they really didn't, or at most a handful of reviewers had a few hours before release with codes which allows the company to claim that they technically gave out codes even if that's a meaningless statement.

17. aelf

aelf Ashen One

What's the issue with being consistent? Other companies aren't getting more than the usual flak for what they put out at E3, if any. That's how video games marketing works, and it's an industry-wide issue.

And you are aware that the investigation is partly due to the relative stringency of the relevant laws in Poland, right? An American company might not be subject to one in similar circumstances.

Yes, we know that, but it's not really news by now.

18. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

When has low American corruption accountability standards been an excuse for anything?

19. aelf

aelf Ashen One

More like the modus operandi of excusing American laxness is what enables the media to sensationalise this piece of news as opposed to constantly reporting on how bad American companies are.

20. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

No, this is bad by pretty much any standard. If you think excusing "American laxness" (or Western, take your pick) is a thing, I'm going to point you at Mass Effect Andromeda, any of the infamous Assassin's Creeds, No Man's Sky or whichever other release was similarly sensationalised.

It's fine to like a game, and believe me I get sticking up for developers. But this is just excusing management.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.