1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

In what era does boredom set in for you?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by orasis, Jan 1, 2017.

?

In what era do you get bored?

Poll closed Jan 15, 2017.
  1. Ancient

8 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. Classical

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Medieval

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Renaissance

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. Industrial

16 vote(s)
    21.3%
  6. Modern

17 vote(s)
    22.7%
  7. Atomic

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Information

6 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. None

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. orasis

orasis Prince

In every iteration of the Civilization franchise there was always an era in which players succumbed to 'boredom'.

In what era do you start to feel bored, in what era do you feel the world has been won and you are doing nothing but clicking end-turn?

2. Jabulani

Jabulani Warlord

Unless you add to the option " All " I doubt this poll will have success.

Civ Vi has been a nice news unless we discovered of how poorly has been programmed, Civ Vi is the first game in the series where you play without the AI, you always play alone and the AI in Civ Vi is just like Tea or Tobacco.

Only sound fxs and music are awesome, all the rest will fade away within 1 month, pity.

3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

For me, its not the era but how the game is running against what victory.

When going domination its not so boring
    When going science it gets boring if it takes too long which it often does unless you get everything right.
    When going cultural it gets boring pretty early when you are playing too low
    When going religious it gets boring when one gets suzerain of Yerevan, otherwise it can be quite fun.

Bigger maps get boring

I tend to make my own challenges and victory conditions and so can only blame myself if I get bored.

I love this game, it works for me, a great game thats enjoyable until you decide not to be involved and get a bit rushy because you have too many cities and CBA because it is about your victory and nothing else matters.

Leathaface, greygamer and c4c6 like this.
  4. juanpavo

juanpavo Warlord

This is the only way I can play now. Try to achieve X condition by turn time T. I never go the full distance now.

Even with that, my interest is fading.

Jabulani likes this.
  5. greygamer

greygamer Feudal Lord

qft
    I play tiny/small maps for this reason

I find the forums a good source of things to try next, so I have been practising early war strategies (starting on prince and moving up a difficulty as I go). On Emperor as Qin Shi Huang I ran into Tomyris which forced a big re-think on how to approach this particular opponent.

6. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I'd say it varies from game to game. I've had games that have bored me only a few turns in, and I've had others where I've never gotten bored. Cf. Civ5 which consistently got boring in the late eras, even with the excellent additions of BNW. Civ6 still has plenty of room to improve, but I guess I don't really understand why some people are so vitriolic towards it. On the other hand, I play on low difficulties and single-player only, so perhaps the game is less balanced at higher difficulties or in multiplayer. :dunno:

7. CoolLizy

CoolLizy King

The point I usually get most bored is after I've won a war or cleared a front, and now have to painstakingly move my entire army across the map to their next target. I usually save my game and take a break at that point.

Other than that, the final age where you're cleaning up the last of the trees, and/or then waiting for arbitrary meters to fill so that the game can declare you the winner. Both these are made worse by the fact that the game takes forever for the AI to finish their turn. It gets really tiring having to stretch the final twenty to thirty turns of a game out over multiple sessions because you're spending so much time staring at a screen and picking meaningless building options while waiting for your victory to officially kick in. (Civ VI is by no means the only Civ game where this is a problem, but its tedious win conditions, turn length, and lack of communication with the player as to what is even going on make it far worse than normal.)

Zaarin likes this.
  8. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

For me, the game sort of takes a dip around renaissance era where not too much seems to happen, then picks up a bit of pace around industrial/modern era, where nice buildings (factory), districts (neighborhood), wonders (Big Ben, Eiffel Tower, Ruhr Valley) and new governments come into play. Then around atomic/information era, game usually becomes rather boring, as by this point you just wait for it to finish. Particularly if playing scientific (yaaaaawn) or cultural victory (at least here you'll have the archeology/great work game to manage).

9. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

It's funny, because I'm the opposite. In Civ5, I went for culture 99% of the time (at least post BNW), but in Civ6 I find the culture victory an unpleasant mixture of passive and tedious, preferring instead the science victory.

10. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

It's the internet. Its the hip thing to do, be vitriolic. Doesn't matter where you go or what forum you're in. I used to visit forums on IMDB for movies and TV shows I like and found the negative people far outnumbered positive people. Then out of curiosity I checked out the forums for top250 and even those were often more negative than positive.

Then with CiV it seemed like it must have been the worst in the series....until somebody linked archived posts from IV's release. It was pretty funny. The posts were pretty similar.

Honestly as far as the game itself goes CiVI is a lot of fun. There's some balance and AI issues but overall the mechanics are entertaining to fiddle with.

I voted atomic. That seems to be the era when my cities are mostly developed and I'm just clicking for VC because all the planning is over.

Zaarin likes this.
  11. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

The moment I build Ruhr Valley/Big Ben/Eiffel Tower - that's when I know I've pretty much won. So for me the feeling of boredom completely settles around Modern Era.

12. Bowman in a Bad Mood

Bowman in a Bad Mood Chieftain

I read somewhere that the AI does better on larger maps? Is this just a myth? Should alleviate boredom though

13. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

Suggestion: Try to start a game with multiple Scythia enemy AIs.

14. Hail

Hail Satan's minion

no. Modern era is clearly winning as it should.

15. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

In civ5, modern. In civ6, I don't really know why, but classical

16. Robo-Star

Robo-Star Prince

Yet nobody's voted "Classical"...
    - :undecide:

17. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

The points i find the least interesting is knowing you will win the game. You just have to press next turn for the next 40 turns or so. Mostly the last era.
    I`m hoping the world council will return in the first expansion. Only thing i really miss about civ 5 so far besides a working AI. (AI+ mod fixes this a good bit)

18. PendragonWRB

PendragonWRB Prince

It gets boring once you catch the AI in tech but then have to manage all your trade routes, city build options and keep selecting a tech or culture to research again and again. As long as an AI isn't going to sneak a culture win in it's just slog slog slog until you finally get the win/achievement.
    I WISH it was only clicking next turn. They need an auto-pass option so you can like walk away and let the game come to it's conclusion.

19. Jonathan

Jonathan Prince

I play on a Standard map and limit each game to 220 turns, so the game ends before I get bored.

VicRatlhead5199 likes this.
  20. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

People paid $60 for a fundamentally flawed game; it's understandable that they'd be upset.