In which we give real-world justification for Civ V's game mechanics

Right, the Golden Age of Egypt under the New Kingdom saw the creation of various monuments that were not the Pyramids.

The Pyramids were infact built in the old Kingdom and by the time of Tutmoses and Ramses they were over 1,000 years old.

Tomb robbery had forced most Pharaohs of the golden age Egypt to build secret tombs in the valley of the kings.

It's fascinating how we sort of jumble all of Egyptian history into one large mess. The Obelisk (not directly mentioned in Civ5, but shown as the monument) is probably as impressive an architectural feat as the Pyramids, yet it rarely is considered a wonder. Those things are made out of a solid piece of stone.

Uh, I'm not sure if you're agreeing, disagreeing, or just making a side point. It's late, though, so my apologies.

And to return on point, none of the wonders in any Civ game have really very good historical grasp. Many wonders were built as a result of a golden age, yet in recent times, wonders like the Taj Mahal (or in Civ3, building a certain combination of wonders) tend to trigger Golden Ages. That's like putting the cart before the horse.

I think the current Pyramids thing is result leading to causation. They had an efficient organization of workers in order to build the Pyramids. In the game, you build the Pyramids so workers are more efficient. Let's just say good enough.

BTW, just to keep going for wonders.

Big Ben --> Houses of Parliament --> Laws favoring freedom of business --> Joint-stock companies --> Easier ability to invest capital in large projects.

Not sure if it was thought through to that degree, but they were definitely going for the commercial/mercantile nature of Great Britain at the time.

In real life, Swiss is still researching pottery, because of their low population. Pakistan is at future era.

Israel and USA hate each other, because both are playing to win and there's no true diplomacy between big nations.

There's no room for tanks at England, because there are only 4 hexes available, each one with a scout with 1 hp.

There's only one road at Europe, linking all countries. Railroads are too expensive, so it's useless.

Just build Angkor Wat at Russia and Rio de Janeiro will be so grateful, giving their food and all resources to every russian city for thousand of years.

The entire world is vegan, because farms are always better than any kind of meat (cow, deer, etc).

Russia can't stop being communist, because there's no way to change government.

If Alexander were smart enough, all he had to do was to build enough colosseums and avoid growth and Greece would still be the largest empire of the world.

George Bush wasn't smart enough to figure out how to get rid of terrorists. All he had to do was to build enough scouts, removing all fog of war.

If Sarkozy forgets to renew open borders with Germany, french people aren't allowed to go there.

Portugal settled Macau inside China. Now they started a war, because China "had settled near them".

I always imagined that city states are ruled by powerful wizards. Thats how they can provide those magical bonuses, and thats why they need all that gold (for magic items and research).

I always imagined that city states are ruled by powerful wizards. Thats how they can provide those magical bonuses, and thats why they need all that gold (for magic items and research).

They turn gold into mana. :D

Also, the deeper your pockets are, the more willing your "friends" are to back your diplomatic victory.

Top Bottom