Inaccuracys, bugs, errors and their solution

DaEezT

Civ, Pizza, Spam, Repeat
Seems like the manual doesn't explain it all so let's try and help each other.
How counter spys work is now known(even though there are still details left to be explained) but I got other things I don't quite understand:

Ships: Page 113 of the manual says
stealth
Stealth is a special option. Stealth ships are smaller than other ships of the same Size and Class, but are harder to detect and target in both Combat and Non-Combat situations.[...]

So, I expected that a ships capacity is reduced when I click that option(for me, being smaller also means less space for stuff) but it doesn't do anything. Well, thats not completely true. Activating the stealth box and then hitting auto build makes the AI add ECM & cloacking devices. Is that it? I mean, please! ECM = stealth? And what is about the "smaller" thing?

Another thing are system ships. System ships can't be put into task forces, thats no big deal I thought, they are stuck in 1 system anyway so no need for that. So I built 20 of those to defend my system. A few turns later I decided to add some state-of-the-art ships to the systems defese force. My old defenders had only beam weapons, so I built 5 ships with missiles only.
Up to that point I got attacked a few times and every time the combat window stated that I had 19 ships. Entering combat showed me 1 tast force on my side, but the biddest tast force is 18 ships. after combat the shows the number of my ships like this 19/19 which means that 19 out of the 19 ships survived the combat. Then I go to the fleet screen and see that I still have 20 ships...
Now, after I created my 5 missile ships I got attacked again(a few turns after they have been built) and again my forces where numbered 19 ships. I entered the view mode and what did I see? no missiles! just 19 of my old ships while the new ones just stayed out of it. Doesn anyone have a solution for this?
I now only build star ships because I can group them myself and I know they'll all show up in combat.

And the last thing I wanna whine about now is the Planet Econ AI
Page 62 says: "If the box is unchecked, the viceroy will let you decide which DEAs are to be built, [...]"
I always uncheck it as soon as the planet is settled, because I specialize my planets for a certain task, but the AI still fills empty zones with DEAs! This is damn annoying. I found a size 10 planet which had 5 plains and 2 broken terrains and 1 mountain which would become at least firtile as soon as terraforming would be complete. So I just placed government and recreation on the remaining slots and wanted to wait for terraforming to be completed. But I didn't have the techs for that yet so I managed my other planets. I came back after some time to see that all of those regions where full of stuff. mostly the AI built industry, but also mines on a mountain region(the planet was classified as poor). Thats not the only time that happened but surely the most annoying. Not only do I have to destroy those buildings (which takes time, at least 1 turn per DEA) but the planet also used money I granted to the planets instead of using it for research, which was supposed to help the new planets!
Is there any way to trick the AI into leaving my planet DEAs alone?

The Stealth option makes your ship use only half the capacity it has, probably thus effectively reducing it in size. I have yet to see if this really has an effect in combat. But just checking the box while you customize your ship doesn´t help, you need to use the auto-build then. :o

Hmm, when you go to the system fleet screen, does it show your new ships? And for the planet military screen, they should show up, too. At least they do for me.

Concerning the Planetary AI, you cannot totally switch it off. It will always produce DEAs as it deems necessary, i.e. as your system needs it. So if you are rather short on food or or in the system, it will produce those on one or more planets.
The most important thing you need to realize is that the AI will work for you. As you can´t switch it off, you need to put the tools to control what it does to best use.
This means that the Development Plan screen is what you must extensively use. Categorize your planets accordingly and set up the plans on how you want them used. And make sure you have surplus of every resource in the system, the AI will not let your people starve or your factories run out of ore. So unless there is enough, it will produce those DEAs. :yeah:

The Planet Econ AI checkbox just enables/disables the AI ability to change the slider setting and add objects to the production queues.

I am a micromanagement freak myself, so I too have to adjust to the idea of letting the AI do most of the work. But this is how the game works and it will not be changed.
:D

I have yet to use stealth ships myself. So far the "Here I come, what are you going to do about it" approach has worked fine :)

While ECM does not equal stealth is should in theory be part of it. They are two systems that move towards making your ships harder to detect / track / and hit with weapons.

I would assume that Stealth is what makes your ships harder to see in the galactic map, and of course at what range they can be detected in combat. ECM of course will effect at what range they can be detected and apply penalties for ships who do detect them and fire weapons.

Glad to see these boards moving :)

Cheers,

Just build a new one and scrap the old ones... or just use them for fodder or as shock troops. :). But yeah, it would be nice. Someone will figure it out sooner or later how to do that.

Originally posted by Lucky
The Stealth option makes your ship use only half the capacity it has, probably thus effectively reducing it in size.

It doesn't for me. I've spent 10 min just checking/unchecking the stealth box and then hitting auto build and it does nothing but placing ECM/cloacking devices on the ship but the capacity doesn't change. Of course the cloacking device takes up space, but the ship isn't smaller or anything.
here are 2 ships of different size the ship generator created:
http://home.t-online.de/home/DaEezT/1-normal.jpg
http://home.t-online.de/home/DaEezT/1-stealth.jpg
http://home.t-online.de/home/DaEezT/2-normal.jpg
http://home.t-online.de/home/DaEezT/2-stealth.jpg

Hmm, when you go to the system fleet screen, does it show your new ships? And for the planet military screen, they should show up, too. At least they do for me.
I don't have any save of that game I described above, but I just tried to recrate my situation.
An enemy ship entered a system protected by 20 system ships but the combat screen only shows 18 (which is the max number of ships for a task force), but what about the other 2? You can create small task forces of only 1 or 2 ships so why are they held back :cry:
http://home.t-online.de/home/DaEezT/Tyr-1.jpg
http://home.t-online.de/home/DaEezT/Tyr-2.jpg

One thing that bothers me is when you mark a planet for colonization and the AI builds a new Colony Ship it automatically send it there. so far so good. but if you build a second colony ship before the first planet has been settled the AI send the ship to the same planet :cry:

You should also add that if you make troopships obsolete then they wont build tons and tons of them everytime you build a warship......(I still think the troopship bug should be fixed before anything) then un-obsolete them when you need them that bug was driving me nuts....

I want my warships got dammit! -Cartman

As far as planet AI, don't forget to go to your Empire tab and turn the Planet AI to Specialized planets. In this case they will develop worlds based on what the world is best suited for and forego all other deas. So planets like you describe above would be set up by the AI as a farming world, and rich or ultra rich planets would be built without any bioharvest DEAs.

As for your system ships. You can only have a certain number of task forces and I guess the game sees these ships as individual task forces. Sounds like a hell of a bug to me.

As for the Troop ships thing. I made some modifications to the AI in that it will build a lot less troops ships now. In fact it will build only 1/4 of the troops ships it used to. Also I lowered the rate it builds support ground forces by half and increased the Battleoid and Tank units by about 3 or 4 times. It seems to be working quite well so far.

Another edit I did was to update the encyclopedia with some help from others, since it is so lacking in information. Let me know if you guys want to try out any of these modifications. They are easy to install and even easier to uninstall. It is very much like an override directory. You copy the edited file and it will override the default one, if you want to remove it just delete the file you put there and you are back to standards settings.

Anyway, let me know if you want to try any of these out. I would love some feedback on them.

Originally posted by Elucidus
yeah, I already have. :) You don't think I made up all of this myself do you? :D

Anyone else looking to join up and help let me know.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Elucidus, you're a riot! :lol: :goodjob:

Seriously, I'm looking to alot of this stuff, just waiting for someone to put it all together into one neat package with full description rather than piecemeal work. I really do like what some of the players are doing with Moo3. Too bad QS/IG didn't have this stuff at the start, it would have ROCKED! I get the feeling, through, when they get done with everything, including the mods, this game is gonna be one GOOD game.

Yes I agree.

And I was serious about the help thing. I think it best if we all pool our resources and pour our energies into making one big mod that will do all of this for you. I agree with that and actually started a section of a board for that particular reason...to help us do that, if you are interested. Or anyone is, for that matter. I do think we need to focus on certain areas at a time and post what we have as we go.

The first section I started was for the encyclopedia, item descriptions, and help tips. I think those are some of the weakest things. We can fix a lot of this. we should let QS fix the things we can't like the ability to refit ships and such and be happy that we can fix a lot of the problems that exist.

--------

Note to mod or admin- I hope it was alright for me to post a link to the board disucssion, if not please let me know and I will refrain from doing it in the future.

Top Bottom