1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Inca and Aztec contact?

Discussion in 'World History' started by steveedster, Nov 9, 2006.

1. steveedster

steveedster Chieftain

Hi I''m new here :)

Just wondering, something I have always wondered, was there any trade or contact between these two empires before or during the spanish conquests?

Any of you knowledgeable people know?

2. brachy-pride

brachy-pride Chieftain

No, never

Both inca and maya influence ended near panama, the reason for that is that they could only walk/run for transportation, for that kind of trade you need horses/donkeys/ etc, which they didnt have, or big ships , which they never invented.

3. steveedster

steveedster Chieftain

hmmm interesting, given the size of the Incan Empire over difficult terrain would it not be possible for trade to have taken place though? Sort of like a silk route of the americas?

Also were the Aztecs in contact with the Mayan city states?

4. pawpaw

pawpaw Now Farve-Proof

When Teotihuacan ruled the Mexico valley @ 1st-5th centuries AD their trade was wide spread--pottery found as far north as the Pacific northwest and as south as Belize. Acourse they were a trading empire not a military one like the Aztecs or Inca's, but if there's a will, there's a way.

5. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Challenge accepted

Inca and Aztecs never had any direct contact (they probably never knew of each other in the first place). Aztec influence ends near Honduras and Incan influence in Colombia. But Aztecs were in contact with the Mayan city states eg Tulum, Tayasal, Mayapan. They traded by land as well as by sea.

6. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

I'm pretty sure, given a few hundred years, they could have made contact (be it the remnants of the Aztecs, or the Tarascans). The Tarascans were actually from South America, and pushed north by the Incas based on something I read once.

I wonder who was in the Costa Rica/Panama region though. I've seen sites that show there was a high population at the time, but no civilization.

7. puglover

puglover Disturber of Worldviews

Pottery is pottery. How do we know it was Aztec pottery?

8. pawpaw

pawpaw Now Farve-Proof

Didn't say it was Aztec, and every culture has their own unique style

9. Fox Mccloud

Fox Mccloud Chieftain

The Incans did have Llamas.

10. brachy-pride

brachy-pride Chieftain

but you cant ride a llama, they cant carry much weight, they had no good beast of burden.

I wodner if the buffalos of the american midwest can be tamed, anybody knows?

11. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

I'm sure they tried (they weren't stupid) to tame it, and I'm sure they failed (never seen a tame buffalo).

12. pawpaw

pawpaw Now Farve-Proof

Sopme quicky research --Llamas are related to camels and can carry up to 100lbs--hence a beast of burden.

13. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Yes, but brachy-pride talked about a good beast of burden. Heck, that's hardly better than a human, and a grumpy human won't spit half-digested food in your face.

14. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Chieftain

In North America at least (talking about the present here), llamas generally aren't used as pack animals but as guard animals, since they are good at chasing away wolves and coyotes. Just put a couple in with your sheep and you're all set.

15. pawpaw

pawpaw Now Farve-Proof

The Spanish used them to haul ore from the mines due to the shortage of horses

16. brachy-pride

brachy-pride Chieftain

dude, I am bolivian, I know llamas

And a llama dont compare to a donkey or an ass, llamas can carry, say, 50 kilos, not more

17. pawpaw

pawpaw Now Farve-Proof

I said up to 100lbs--is 50 kilos not 110 lbs? And no doubt an ass or burrio could carry much more.