1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Inca Religious Victory Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Firmlife, Jan 30, 2013.

1. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

I must have missed it. Not sure whom you are agreeing with.

Paraphrasing (strike out after the meaning of your post was corrected)...
    I can't believe you just wrote that a well played game(no hut) can't hardly compete with a good map and a free tech... even if that game was poorly played! What happened to the old STW? He used to defend his RLDV spots against all attacks no matter what map or free tech they got.

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

that's a very good question......:(

3. Firmlife

Firmlife Chieftain

Based on context and tone, I believe flawly=flawlessly.

4. Firmlife

Firmlife Chieftain

Popped mining really early in my current game. BFC is not so good as the 2130, but good luck stealing workers so far. Hoping to break 2200, will depend on just how good early Mining is, and on not screwing anything up. Setting it aside until I'm not half asleep, already lost at least a turn due to sub-optimal worker moves.

5. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

Correct. My proof reading was either null or flawed. Sorry for the confusion that resulted.

Sun Tzu Wu

6. Firmlife

Firmlife Chieftain

Based on context and tone, I think you mean that you proofread flawly.

7. Sun Tzu Wu

Ok, and my first use of the word flawly was accidental. I didn't even recognize that it was a real word.

Er, I meant I proofread flawly ... no ... I meant I did _not_ proofread "flawly" ... er ... I hope you understand now, because I'm not planning to explain it any further. ;)

Sun Tzu Wu

8. Firmlife

Firmlife Chieftain

Would have finished in 2140, but my library got destroyed by a random event 3 turns after it was chopped. Also screwed up my chops to the tune of ~4 turns. With a better map, very confident I could do pre-2200 popping Masonry or Mining, but I've only got ~6 maps left before I move to Small.

9. WastinTime

I used to play random events too (mostly for fun.), but I don't use them on RLDV any more. They mostly have minor effects, but a couple of them can really hurt. Do you have them on for a particular reason?

10. Sun Tzu Wu

+1 Agreed. There are too many bad events and often ruin good games. I often get slave revolt events which cost 2P or some wealth + 1P or several turns for local authorities to handle. It costs either 1t + (2P | wealth + 1P) | xt.

I've lost a couple Libraries to events as well.

Events can have good quests in military games though. Plus a slave revolt in one of several cities is much more minor than in RLDV when the slave revolt is often in your only city.

Sun Tzu Wu

11. vranasm

vranasm Deity

my thinking about popping some exact techs from huts and not playing when not was always "well when everybody plays only maps with 3 starting techs then why not just make civilization with these 3 starting techs and turn off huts"?

Something similar could be said about starting area obviously too...

HOF puts pretty high barrier for "normal play" with some of not so nice aspects of the settings.

Initially when I started to be interested into HOF I thought myself "now I show you in lower diffs where I am really good" rolled a map, played, posted, got crushed (obviously) and then started to do some research what is this is really about, find out about huts, no barbs games, mapfinder.... something which is VERY different from the ruleset of S&T....

I guess all of that makes HOF very unattractive for players from other parts of forum.

12. Sun Tzu Wu

@vranasm:

I agree 100% with your comments. I have played almost exclusively HoF games for five years and have dealt with the tedium of starting a dozen map finder starts to get a single Deity Domination Victory on Standard or Smaller maps. I find it hard to continue doing that and I don't even use Tribal Villages for Domination Victories. If I did, I'd probably need a hundred starts to finish a single HoF game.

I hope that the HoF staff is open to a few changes to make competing for HoF Tables less tedious. Starting a second HoF database with competition oriented options restrictions might be a good alternative.

Sun Tzu Wu

13. Firmlife

Firmlife Chieftain

They're on for the same reason huts are on. Sure, sometimes you get a bad event that screws you over, but sometimes you get a good one that helps you along and might take some time off or help you diplomatically if you need it. It's all about getting a game where everything goes right.

Small Marathon is done, 2130. I had about 30 maps, three or four of which were really nice setups and this game was the one I didn't screw up :sad: and the only one I played to completion. No popping a tech in this one. However, I did have a game where I popped Mining AND Masonry but it was the worst worker stealing map ever and I only managed to snag one, and rather late at that. Not having any mines makes teching hard. What a waste :(

14. Sun Tzu Wu

I've been a bit busy doing other things this past update, but ...

I'm planning to submit several Inca Emperor RLDV this update.

Sun Tzu Wu

15. Firmlife

Firmlife Chieftain

I've been meaning to come back and update. Finished the standard game, obviously, 1930. I had a game pre-2000 but my last religion spread failed two turns before the vote, very disappointing. I spent a lot of time trying to replicate that pre-2000 game, but whenever I got good starting position, I had a lot of trouble worker stealing. Eventually I decided that 1930 is good enough that if I have such trouble beating it, it should last a while, and I ought to keep going in the interest of potentially finishing.

Working on Large, Marathon now, trying to figure out how best to handle the diplomacy. Had a couple really good games, sadly, which were screwed up by not handling religion spread quite right. I think Large may be the hardest. You can't be so manipulative about religions as on smaller maps, but there aren't enough players to reliably win the vote if there are other Christians which you can usually do on Huge.

Column 1
    [tr]<th>Size</th><th>Speed</th><th> Inca Turn</th><th> Previous Best</th><th> Previous Leader</th>[/tr]
    [tbody]
    [tr]Duel Quick 45 58 Qin Shi[/tr]
    [tr]Tiny Quick 48 52 Isabella[/tr]
    [tr]Duel Epic_ 81 113 Qin Shi[/tr]
    [tr]Tiny Epic_ 82 104 Qin Shi[/tr]
    [tr]Duel Mara 140 164 Qin Shi[/tr]
    [tr]Tiny Mara 137 167 Qin Shi[/tr]
    [tr]Small Mara 140 166 Qin Shi[/tr]
    [tr]Standard Mara 157 260 Hammurabi[/tr]
    [/tbody]

16. WastinTime

What have you set for your goal to consider yourself 'finished'?

17. Firmlife

Firmlife Chieftain

Why, you're finished when every slot in the HoF table is yours, silly.

Seriously, my goal was to occupy a tier of the HoF table, namely Immortal Religious, with Inca games good enough that beating them with a non-Inca race would be intimidatingly difficult.

Assuming I finish, I'll evaluate a new goal after that. It would be either QM, EQM, or targeted slots elsewhere in the HoF. I personally have soured a bit on QM specifically, but EQM as well, as they seem to be even more of an ignored backwater than the HoF table itself. I think it's a bit of a shame, actually, as I think they're potentially a good place for an extended meta-game where people could strategically try to both get good games for QM themselves and undermine opponents games by using optimized leaders (*ahem Inca*) and maps.

I think the absence of a HoF leaderboard (that is, a list of people and how many #1 slots they occupy) is also a little sad.