Inca

Are you talking about human or AI playing them? If you are talking AI, I would say it is because of their unique building and the traits. They can border pop with their building because the AI build Granary in most of its cities early. Their traits are financial and industrious (BTS) and these give teh AI some big advantages.

If you are talking about human, it is because of the same as above, but also the unique unit is a great early unit. If used properly though.

I'd say Horses would become that much more important, unless it's Alex with his Phalanxes, then you can just curl up and die.

Incas are totaly unbalanced compared to other civs. I'm a monarch player but I have several emperor wins on my name with the incas. Recently I've started trying alot of different civs and I find them alot harder to play with.

yes, they make the game much easier than it ought to be with their traits and their UU. The UU is especially grating since it allows early game gambits that no other civilization can attempt, (Read worker stealing on deity and choking an ai on that level with no repercussions/never need to tech archery like every other civ for possible early defense) Personally, I never play them because it just seems to promote bad behavior and not teach me anything new.

I wouldn't say the Inca are particularly overpowered. They have a very strong economy due to IND and FIN...but other civs have strong economies too, like Mansa Musa. You just have to either get much bigger than them and/or conquer them by force.

If you mean for the human player, its mostly the unique unit, the quecha. It replaces the warrior, so requires no techs, no resources, and is really really cheap. It also gets a 100% bonus against archers, the AI's most common defending unit. That's means it has 4 base str. versus archers. However, use it fast,- it gets obsolete very early.:(

If you mean for the human player, its mostly the unique unit, the quecha.
I'm sure the combination of Industrious plus Financial has nothing to do with it.

It's all the Quechua.

With their UB they're basically Creative. Financial is a winner. Industrious is a winner. The UU is just ridiculous.

It's not just the Inca, there are a lot of civilizations that end up being powerhouses in Civ that real world history remembers as a footnote at best. Before they nerfed Jaguars Monty was something of an unstoppable beast, and Charlemagne tends to perform much better than you would expect (I think that they gave him a good AI to make up for the odd mashup of traits that he has). Korea is another one, as are the Celts and FREAKIN' SHAKA.

Then there's the opposite, the civilizations that in real history were the movers and shakers but in Civ almost always end up being jokes. Spain built a vast empire in our timeline, but Isabella is almost always the backward religious nutjob in my games. Every time I get a map with Greece it becomes someone's one-city vassal. The United States typically ends up being a small power if it starts at all near a warmonger, and Egypt gets big but then never does anything - except fall over and die if anyone cares to put them out of their misery.

With their UB they're basically Creative.
Not really -- they only get a little tiny, minor aspect of creative. A slight advantage to fighting early-middle game border wars with culture pales in comparison to the 5-turn border pop and half-price libraries.

With their UB they're basically Creative.
There's a huge difference between having culture growing (and borders starting to expand, in a sense) from the moment you find a city + cheap libraries (and theatres and colosseums, right?) and having to (research pottery) build a granary before culture even starts to grow. Incas are not even expensive. Terrace is a great building but lets not exaggerate :)

It's not just the Inca, there are a lot of civilizations that end up being powerhouses in Civ that real world history remembers as a footnote at best. Before they nerfed Jaguars Monty was something of an unstoppable beast, and Charlemagne tends to perform much better than you would expect (I think that they gave him a good AI to make up for the odd mashup of traits that he has). Korea is another one, as are the Celts and FREAKIN' SHAKA.

Then there's the opposite, the civilizations that in real history were the movers and shakers but in Civ almost always end up being jokes. Spain built a vast empire in our timeline, but Isabella is almost always the backward religious nutjob in my games. Every time I get a map with Greece it becomes someone's one-city vassal. The United States typically ends up being a small power if it starts at all near a warmonger, and Egypt gets big but then never does anything - except fall over and die if anyone cares to put them out of their misery.

agreed. It is ironic sometimes. Especially when the footnote civilization (if it even was a civ, several are not) is great in your game and you have to push the real world facts out of your head.

Anybody else typically build Stonehenge with Inca? It feels like a bit of a waste with the terrace but if I don't build it then starting with Mysticism feels like a waste (since I never have the time to tech further down the religious path.)

Don't forget about Carthage. They always seem to do well in my games, tending to beeline the Great Lighthouse and becoming a tech leader.

On another point, when did they nerf the jaguar? I remember the jaguar being worse pre-BTS, not better.

NPM

Top Bottom