1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Incoherent Mounted Warrior Strategy

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Divaythsarmour, May 25, 2011.

1. Raliuven

Raliuven Chieftain

You do need to be careful. I never use the governors - the AI does not know how to manage a city any more than it can manage workers. I also don't use any assisting programs, though I may change my mind on that count soon.

I generally scan my empire in the F1 window and see what a boost in the luxury slider will give me and for what price. When your empire becomes huge and sprawling this is harder, but you are also probably less concerned with squeezing every gold at this point as well.

After testing the luxury slider, I check my core productive cities. I figure out how many clowns it will take to correct the problem and if it will effect the production of what I am current working on. After a while you instictively 'know' which cities in a game are the trouble makers and need to be MM'd a lot.

My default position is to use the luxury slider to fix happiness problems and I am less likely to diverge from this position in the early game where every shield counts. A clown means less food, fewer shields and gold. That is a VERY high price to pay.

Generally I will bump up the luxury slider unless it is huge bump, especially if it is only effecting one or two cities, or if the bump in luxury prevents my scientific research from being set where I need/want it. If I am running 30% luxury then I can only run 70% research. If that doesnt' cut it and would/could stop me from being first to a tech for trading, then clowns are the lesser evil.

In the later game I am far less particular, but that is my personal weakness - which is also why I struggle with Deity games at times.

Up to about a year ago I never touched the luxury slider. Ever. Then I played some test games where I limited myself to fixing all happiness problems with only the luxury slider. Period. That cured me of the problem.

2. King of Anshan

King of Anshan aprrentice Worlddominator

You're right it is dangerous to use automanage, but I 'm just lazy.
    I began using the lux slider on Mem2 (awesome mod), where research could not be maxed. I first played monarch on that mod but later switched to emperor and then demigod. In that time it became increasingly "addicting" to use. (And with 50 city empires MMíng sucks.)

3. Raliuven

Raliuven Chieftain

I'm a builder, so I love MM and worker management. I get burnt out on huge maps sometimes, but not often. Just one style of play. You are playing at Emperor/Deity and you use the governer? :eek: You must be one heck of a warmonger! :ar15:

4. King of Anshan

no,I like to be very cultural and to build lots of buildings but somehow it always turns out in me conquering half the world
    :confused:

5. Hellfiredoom

Hellfiredoom Chieftain

Thought I would state the obvious: in addition to managing the lux slider get those luxuries hooked up, especially in Republics. Any neighbor of mine that has a luxury just across their border from me had best be ready for war.

6. Theov

Theov Chieftain

seconded.
    I can't just sit back and have them have that oil. The AI can't live. They're too stupid.
    Conquest victory is pretty much my only option. I have vague memories about a United Nations victory. But that felt... bad. Maybe that was Civ4.

7. King of Anshan

I think conquest is a boring victory, after the first five conquests it's always the same. A cultural victory is usually the most difficult.

[offtopic] sorry

8. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Both CivAssist II and MapStat will do this for you. That is, both will tell you this turn which cities will have troubles next turn.

Both will reload automatically with a new save, if that save is in the same folder where the utility program is currently pointed to. I save each game to a different folder and then do a save at the start of each turn (due to a cranky PC). MapStat will refresh itself when I do that, which I find very handy.

9. Divaythsarmour

Divaythsarmour Adventurer

Excellent points made by all! :)

I started a new game in PTW, standard map, monarch, pangea. This time I'm not messing around with Republic. My scouts popped a few good techs and I managed to get to Monarchy sometime around 100BC or so.

Aggressive trait is great in PTW as you can use your great generals to build a wonder if you want. In this latest game it took me forever to get a great general. I used the first one to build a deadly Keshik army. The second I used to build the Heroic Epic.

I'm constantly at war. Upon declaring war, I like to drive a wedge toward their Capitol and take it. I'm attacking with horse units only. I like their speed. Speed is the key to everything. Move quickly, attack and take advantage of every opportunity to destroy counter attacks etc.

10. King of Anshan

you mean the military maxim of

"speed is armor"

11. Divaythsarmour

Divaythsarmour Adventurer

Sure that's fine. It's sort of like Napoleon. He could move his army further and faster than anyone else in his day. He was able to choose where the battles would take place. He could leverage the terrain and other variables to his advantage. In his early years he was often outnumbered by factors of two or three.

I think the same can be done with horse units. You have to be willing to lose a lot of them. But because they're so mobile, you can quickly follow up with new fresh units.

In Civ 3 during the ancient to medieval era, the tactic of speed is especially devastating. You can often times catch the AI off guard, show up at a town/city that's lightly defended because you got there quickly. Even if you lose your units attacking, you'll have more horse units on the way soon.

When the AI counter attacks (i.e. brings a stack of units to attack my towns/cities, I prefer attacking their stack with my horsemen (before they're in striking distance) as opposed to relying heavily on defensive units. I can usually hurt their stack enough that they'll pull back badly injured units and then my defensive units gain a lot of promotions killing the lightly injured units that attack the city.

There's a lot of opportunity for popping great generals in all of this mayhem. :)