1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Incompetent AI stopped me playing - DLC any improvement?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by TurboJ, Feb 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TurboJ

TurboJ Warlord

I really liked the new systems and strategic versatility in Civ6 and I put in a lot of hours after its launch but in the end I lost interest because the game was so easy to win. Especially irritating was the fact that the AI Civs would not build up and/or use their military units. Wrecking any competing Civ by military means was always just a matter of preference for the human player as there was no opposition from the AI. If curious, yes, I did always play on deity.

So my question is, has the AI become any better? Is deity still a blindfolded cakewalk? Does the AI still not wage war at all besides suiciding obsolete units?

The ideas introduced in the R&F DLC look fun enough, but if there still isn't any challenge especially in matters of war, I feel it's just money wasted. Looking at the patch notes and the DLC features list I don't see anything to suggest AI would wage war now... I'm fearing it's like with the last mini DLC which was supposed to introduce naval warfare to the game but nothing of the sort ever happened.

So, time to buy the DLC or time to finally go back to Civ V?

2. Art Morte

Art Morte Prince

I don't think combat AI has improved much, it still does some ridiculous things. Just an hour ago I watched an enemy galley sit still for 5 turns while my archer sank it. Could have sailed away to safety, but no.

And I do think the AI civs are too keen on friendships, I'm often able to become friends with neighbours whose greater military strength might cause me real problems even with the bad combat AI. The AI has a pretty bad sense of when is the right time to strike, like when they get more advanced units or corps before I do.

3. civtrader6

civtrader6 Warlord

Obviously there's a lot of faults with the AI, but considering its pretty much programmed by just one guy - its really good. Sadly, Firaxis does not want to put more resources into hiring a proper AI team.

The biggest issue with the AI in my opinion, is that they often loose ridiculous amounts of units to barbarians. So if you're up for a challenge, start a deity game, reduce the number of city states (so AI has less early targets) and turn off the barbs (so AI does not loose units in vain). That way the game becomes much more challenging.

4. ThERat

ThERat Deity

To me, the only way to enjoy Civ 6 is PBEM

5. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.