1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Incompetent Caravels

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Bellringer, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Bellringer

Bellringer Chieftain

My caravel is unable to destroy my enemy's fishing boats, though a galley can do it. But if the resource is 2 squares away, the galley cannot go there. Is it designed that way or is there some way around it?

2. civfanchambers

civfanchambers Prince

Are you at war with the enemy? Caravels can explore rival territory, but to pillage water improvements you need to be at war. Privateers I think can do so at peace.

3. traius

traius His own worst enemy

caravels cannot do it, war or peace. Galleys cannot enter the ocean, and so cannot pillage ocean tiles. Any naval unit beyond galleon will be able to do so.

4. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

I haven't used a sub in years, but seem to recall that they can't pillage either.

5. Tatran

Tatran Deity

Submarines can pillage fishnets. That's why I always have a destroyer in my coastal cities.

6. Mec AntiKythera

Mec AntiKythera King

That is the benefit of ocean seafood, it is safe for a long time. A caravel sitting on it does prevent the tile from being worked however.