Incompetent Railroad Workers

Dinorius R.

Somnambulist
I notice my workers, set on Shift-A (auto-improve without altering existing improvements) generally don't end up joining all my cities with rail, only with roads. The railroads tend to be just concentrated around cities. They link to other cities only if they happen to share some squares, or maybe by chance, I'm not sure.

Apart from Shift-A, the commands I'm aware of are;

Build Railroad...........Shift-R
Build Railroad To......Ctrl-Shift-R
Trade Network.........Ctrl-N (makes roads but not rail)

None of these seem to automatically link all my cities with rail. Can anyone inform me how it's done, or must I do it manually? :enlighten

You should always manage your workers, I never put them on automate anymore.

They will eventually railroad up every possible land tile within your boarders.

They just focus around cities first because you get to make more money.

If you want, you can unautomate a few & Ctrl-Shift-R them between your cities.

My usual procedure once I develop steam power: I have most cities pop out an extra worker. Then shift-R to build railroads to the capital, or other strategic cities. Once this is done, shift-A to automate the workers. In a few turns, nearly all my territories are developed. :)

Thanks everyone. It seems I was right - there is no specific command for automatically connecting all cities with rail, only roads. What a drag, I hate micromanaging. Civ III is tedious enough without that.

Originally posted by Dinorius R.
Thanks everyone. It seems I was right - there is no specific command for automatically connecting all cities with rail, only roads. What a drag, I hate micromanaging. Civ III is tedious enough without that. .

It only takes no more than one worker per city, and one command per worker (ctrl-shift-r). Once every city is connected to the capital (or any other single city), your work is done.

A single command would be convenient though.

Top Bottom