Incorrect Civilopedia info

tom123

Warlord
When I was looking through the Civilopedia, I noticed that it said that Genghis Kahn ruled over the largest empire ever.
That is wrong.
The largest empire, in terms of both size and population, was the British Empire.
The Mongol Empire, at its peak, ruled over 24million km2, with a population of 110 million.
The British Empire was 33.67million km2, and contained 531.3 million people.

Quite a difference, 10 million km2 land difference and 5 times as many people.

You would have thought that the researchers for Civ 4 would have at least made sure that their facts were correct before releasing the game.

And it's debatable how much of the British Empire was actually governed and controlled by the British. For example, in nominally British India, the Native States controlled over half of the territory. The local rajahs were able to issue laws and mint coins with hardly any British consent or input. When India gained independence, these States had to negotiate with the new Indian state, not the British crown. Britain technically ruled over the Native States, but it was a very indirect rule.

Although I guess you could say the same thing about the Mongol Empire; how much of that vast Siberian wasteland was actually controlled by the Mongols?

Presumably, it meant the largest continous empire on a single landmass.
This.

Also, The British don't count because they're new. :) I'm certain more than anything that they were talking about old empires.

So, yeah, the Mongols ruled the largest empire.

I don't know what else to say here.

Oh, yeah, we fired our guns but the British kept on coming. :)

The British did not directly rule over most of its Empire. The Mongols did.

Also, the Civilopedia has errors and misinformation in many places, don't let it get to you.

Top Bottom