1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Incorrect Military civic descriptions and suicidal auto-explore

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Final Frontier Plus' started by Imp. Knoedel, May 20, 2012.

1. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Imperator Knoedel the Great, Glorious and Gracious

Hello, I am playing the current FFP version (1.8 was it I think) and I love the mod, thanks to the creators, you do a very good job!

However there are two things that bother me: While I was browsing this subforum some weeks ago when 1.8 came out, I read somewhere that the descriptions given in the Military civic column are not explaining what they really. For example Light Ship Focus is cheapening all ships of the Light Ship category and not Destroyers and Cruisers as the description says. Is this information right? And if so, are the correct descriptions somewhere in the Civpedia?

Also I sometimes see my Scout Ships set on auto-recon-mode flying right through a Radiation Cloud or a Super Nova Damage Zone, destroying themselves in the process. Is there a way to stop this? I´m aware that my slave-whiping warmongering totalitarian dictatorship may not have the best retirement facilities of the galaxy, but are my crews really that desperate? :lol:

Cheers.

2. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Chieftain

The correct effects of 2 of those civics do not appear anywhere in the game. Capital Ship Doctrine is correct. The other two affect the units that are pretty much what they sound like from the names. Light Ship Doctrine makes all units of the Light Ship category cheaper, and no other type. Squadron Doctrine makes all units of the Carrier category and Squadron category cheaper. You can see what is in each category in the Unit Categories topic in the pedia.

Ships are not supposed to like to move onto damaging features (there is a hefty penalty that should be applied in the pathfinding algorithm), but the computer controlled movement code does it anyway. It is not clear why, although I suspect the code that picks destination plots does not take it into account and regardless of the path taken to get there they will therefore end up in the damaging location. I would avoid auto-explore. It is pretty much suicidal due to pirate units when it isn't suicidal from damaging features. Either way, the lifespan for an auto-explore unit is likely to be much less than for manual control.