Increase AI flavor to create cities

XelmatZe

Chieftain
Hey guys,

I really need your help.

After the latest update I can play Civ 5 without any crashes but now I face a new problem.
I always play with the "Yet another Earth map pack" map on size gigantic. After the latest patch it seems that the AI refuses to build cities! I see Rome, Dschingis or Gandhi only having 3 cities after 500 turns. Same for almost all other Civs (haven´t seen them all yet ...)

That is not fun at all since there is so much space left but the AI never builts more cities.

How can I change this issue?

I already tried to change the early expansion as follows:

<GameData>
<Defines>
<Update>
<Set Value="40" />
<Where Name ="AI_STRATEGY_EARLY_EXPANSION_NUM_CITIES_LIMIT" />
</Update>
</Defines>
</GameData>

Did I make a mistake in this code? The original value is 8.

Or is there another option to change the AI's attitude to build cities? Do I have to change it in the leader specs? If so, where do I find the code to change?

I would really appreciate your help!

Xel

Hello,

Check out my Joltis AI tweaks mod. I tried to increase city spam. My version is pre-patch so there could be something that is not valid anymore. I have been playing new one to get feeling, how AI does.

The easiest way to increase city spam enourmously is to set FirstTurnExecuted of EXPAND_LIKE_CRACY in AIEconomicStrategies to zero. This is pre-patch.

AI_STRATEGY_EARLY_EXPANSION_NUM_CITIES_LIMIT affects in EARLY_EXPANSION in AIEconomicStrategies. It tells when to EARLY_EXPANSION stop expansion. Saddly I noted that EARLY_EXPANSION does activate correctly in whole game.

Sorry if all field names are not exatly correct. I am not home when I write this.

Could it also be beneficial to reduce costs for settlers? If so, where can I find the costs for a settler? In which table?

I tried your mod and launched an autoplay game on marathon. After 200 turns Rome still has only its capital. Russia has 4 cities, but on the other hand Arabia has almost 10. Don´t get it to be honest ...

My mod does not have that aggressive settler spawning as i suggest with EXPAND_LIKE_CRAZY.

The problem is not the cost but AI which ends up in loop of bad decisions. Bad loops: wondering capital (only city capital and it mass produces wonders.) , OCC culture win AI and losing settlers and workers to bards etc.

The costs of units are in UNIT table.

Is it possible to change the flavor of the AI to build settlers? I remember there were some problems with the AI focusing on anti aircraft units in the game before it has been patched. But again ... since I am not familiar with modding ... I cannot find these flavors :(

FLAVOR_EXPANSION is what you are seeking. Search XML directory with FLAVOR_EXPANSION so you see where it affects. For example the end effect of EXPAND_LIKE_CRAZY is increase of FLAVOR_EXPANSION.

I continued modding on this issue and can give a few results.

Normally I play on gigantic TSL earth map. I downloaded the Australian Civ as well (of course, placed them on Australia) and I also placed the Iroquois Civ on South America.
Both have a lot of gold available and after not even 300 turns Iroquois for instance have more than 12 cities and several tile improvements.

Therefore I conclude and assume that maintenance of settlers and workers have important influence. I´ve seen Catherine having a negative gold per turn and they stopped creating cities after her fourth. Same goes for Ashika.

Is there any variable defining the maintenance for both settlers and workers?

I only found one in GlobalDefines but its of global effect and thats what I do not want...

12 cities seems ok.

Questions in my mind:
Has AI negative money?
Has AI big army? (A money sink)
Has AI negative happiness? (If it is it would totally stop expansion)

Unit maintance is in Unit table/XML. settler maintance is not the problem.

Top Bottom