1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Increasing Happiness - Help!!!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by swinenston, Oct 16, 2006.

1. swinenston

swinenston Chieftain

I am struggling on a hard game at the moment in which the computer is in a team against me. The main problem is they have emancipation and I'm quite a way from that and, as you can imagine, this is really making my populous unhappy. I am asking for help and suggestions from you CivFans if you have any, as to how I can make my people happy whilst giving me some ability to research. I have some resources which have an effect and I have a religion which I've spread around and built the temples etc of. What are the best ways of keeping my people happy?

Another thing, I've noticed by increasing culture it makes my people happier - but I can't work out why. I see the colosseum link, but does it have a direct effect, i.e. 10% culture = +1 happy or similar? :)

Thanks everyone!!!

2. voek

voek Prince

Adopt Hereditary Rule (civic) and fill your city's with (cheap) units. Theaters, colosseum and broadcast towers give hapiness when you increase the culture slider. Beneath the effect of the colosseum.
    + 1 hapiness
    +1 per 20% culture rate

So you get 1 hapiness directly (meaning also if culture rate = 0%)
    and like stated +1 per 20% culture rate, meaning +1 for 20%, +2 for 40% etc, pretty obvious as you can see.
    Theater is very cheap and I build it in almost all of my city's for culture points and hapiness.

Don't forget about religion with all it's hapiness buildings and effects either.

3. cabert

cabert Big mouth

ways into happiness (could be a religion, but no it's only a game :lol:):
    - ressources (can be huge)
    - buildings (colloseum, theatre*, Broadcast Tower, temples, markets*, cathedrals*, forges*, barracks**)
    - religion** (+1 isn't much, + 7 is better)
    - civics (free religion, police state, emancipation :crazyeyes:, nationhood, environementalism, representation, Hereditary Rule)
    - wonders (globe theater in the biggest city will make a huge difference in one city ;), Notre dame a small one but everywhere, Broadway/hollywood/rock'n'roll will provide a happy ressource)
    - commerce slider

* : depends on a ressource
    ** : depends on a civic.

Example : you have gold and silver, fur, incense, can afford 20% culture, are under HR, bureaucracy, slavery, free market, OR

You have
    +4 happiness from ressources.
    +2 happiness from culture
    with a forge, you gain +2 happiness from gold and silver
    with a theatre, you gain +2 more happiness from culture slider
    with your state religion you gain +1 happiness
    with the temple for any religion you gain + 1 happiness
    with the colosseum you gain +1 happiness, +1 more from culture
    with 3 garrison units, you gain +3 from HR
    with a cathedral for your state religion, you gain +2, +1 more from incense

that's 20 happiness.
    You can improve it further by
    - moving the slider (+2 more at 30% with the theatre, +5 more at 40% with the theatre and colloseum)
    - building units. +1 happiness from every unit, including warriors, is huge :)

4. Thedrin

Thedrin Deity

Or adopt slavery and whip the dissenters.

5. voek

voek Prince

Why you don't make it a article Cabert ;)

6. voek

voek Prince

No, you don't want to do this actualy. The problem is temporary. When he adopts emancipation the problem is solved. A kind of waste from the hard earned population. Slavery isn't ALWAYS the solution. In fact, abuse, can destroy your empire. ;)

7. swinenston

swinenston Chieftain

That's great guys thanks a lot.

So it would seem there is no direct culture % : happiness relationship (for example 10%= +1 happy) it is all about the buildings you have which are affected by the culture level, such as the colosseum giving a bonus for 20% culture.

8. cabert

cabert Big mouth

You got it wrong.

10% culture gives
    - 1 happiness directly
    - 1 more happiness from theatre
    - 1 more happiness from Broadcast Tower
    - 1/2 more happiness from colloseum (you need 20% for 1 happiness from colloseum)

are you ironic? I'm pretty sure there is such an article already, I'm just too lazy to search for it.

9. voek

voek Prince

Half a joke, half honest. Seems like the base for a article. Prob. is one, but I haven't read it anyway. I think if you played other civ versions you prob know most of the system. I am also too lazy to search for it :) Although providing a good link prob. costs the same or less amount of time for writing it down.. hmm

But this is more fun :)

BTW your title suggests you are the master of culture, so you should write a article actualy ;)

10. swinenston

swinenston Chieftain

Ah OK wasn't aware that you get 1 happiness directly - do you get +1 happiness for each subsequent culture, 10% = 1 happiness, 20% = 2 happiness. Just for clarity, I mean excluding building benefits from theatre etc, I'm aware of those.

Thanks - this is all really useful stuff.

11. cabert

cabert Big mouth

there are very good articles about culture, and I'm not really a master of it.
    But I noticed I do build culture faster than others (prioritizing sistin chapel, not necessarily as a build, but as a target:sniper: , loving spiritual civs and those cheap temples, whipping theatres in almost every conquered city...).

I have some bad case of a "culture first, development second" disease. ANd I have the feeling I'm the only victim :lol:
    With sistin chapel in the pocket, i often go mercantilism for the +2 culture.
    Creative? Who needs creative ;)

And about the happiness, I know I've written a more detailed version already. In the "condensed tip for beginners" as far as i remember. Too bad it's not condensed anymore:mischief: .

12. cabert

cabert Big mouth

yes!
    Maximum you can have is 100% culture, giving :
    - 10 direct happiness
    - 10 for theatre
    - 10 for broadcast tower
    - 5 for colloseum

Without anything else, that's
    36 (colosseum gives 1 directly) happiness.
    Quite a lot IMHO :)
    But the price is high! With HR you can have your SoDs in the biggest cities, giving you as many happiness as you need + ready to go to war, while amassing money/techs from commerce (democracy for emancipation!).

You can move the slider up when you move the stacks for war.
    Very useful to overcome "temporary unhappiness".
    temporary can be something like 10/20 turns, duration of a war in which you capture "notre dame" or happiness ressources. It's not a complete loss either, since 20% culture for 10/20 turns will give you some border expansions = more land.

13. cabert

cabert Big mouth

I checked the war academy, and there is no article on happiness or health :eek:
    One day, I'll write one.

14. JimT

JimT Warlord

Please make it soon;)

15. voek

voek Prince

Well considering your amount of posts a day (rightnow 2007, gratz on the 2000, you are true fanatic), you should have some time to rewrite this information to a article and claim eternal glory. ;)

16. cabert

cabert Big mouth