Increasing wonder limit?

Mravac Kid

Chieftain
I'm sure this has been asked and debated to death, but I can't find any satisfactory answers. Is there a way to increase the number of wonders that can be built in a city or ideally remove the limit altogether? Preferably on an existing save.
I read somewhere that editing the GlobalDefines.xml file should work, but I tried it on both a previous save and a new one and I don't see much change. And since wonders take quite a while to build it takes too long to do a trial and error run to find what works.
I'm running RoM:AND ver. 1082 on Steam's version of Beyond the Sword, but I also tried it on a separate GOG install.

*EDIT*
For future search purposes as I'm sure there will be others looking for the info (or me in a few years when I forget. :) )

The file to eddit is CIV4CultureLevelInfo.xml located in (for Steam) SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn\Assets\XML\GameInfo and the option to edit is iMaxWorldWonders and iMaxNationalWonders. Set value to whatever number suits your fancy.
(There's also iMaxTeamWonders and iMaxNationalWondersOCC which I haven't fiddled with)
Also, starting a new game using the "custom game" option allows you to start off without the limit in the first place, thus avoiding having to fiddle with file editing. (It also allows you to disable revolutions, another useful feature among many others. It pays to pay attention.)

Last edited:
You should edit CultureLevelInfo.xml in GameInfo folder instead.
Change iMaxWorldWonders and iMaxNationalWonders in each culture level to your liking.
Using a value -1 should mean unlimited.

Have fun! :)

Thanks a lot! That seems to have been the correct file to edit, it's working now even on previous saves. Setting the value to -1 didn't work, but setting it to 99 allowed me to build more wonders.
In the meantime I realised there's an "unlimited wonders" option when starting a new game using the custom game option, which I apparently missed somehow.

Top Bottom