1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Independent Civilization ideas

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Jimmyh, May 5, 2011.

?

What should be the scope of the game

1. Clone with same bugs and limitations

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Clone with bug fixed

6.1%
  3. Clone with bug fixed and no limitation

27.3%
  4. New gameplay function, but keep existing graphics

25.8%
  5. New gameplay function, graphics can be different if needed

40.9%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

The favourite terrain introduced by Firaxis was poorly done. It gives a movement bonus... But when unit have 1 MP it's useless. And if you give 2 MP to everyone, then you cannot withdraw....

Instead of that, keep the concept of favored terrain, but give a +X% bonus when fighting there.

A really simple solution

2. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Emperor

Was being able to limit the number of units per tile depending on terrain mentioned?

Oh, and I agree with Steph, that's essentially what I was trying to convey.

3. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

Well, the problem I can see with that would be random maps where you may not fully take advantage of that. Perhaps civ and starting locations could be linked?

4. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

The option for a 'themed' starting location, such as island, coastal continental, or inner continental, in a certain terrain zone, etc. You could have rough longitudinal settings, or even simple hemispherical settings.
    For example the UK would be island, temperate, northern; India would be inner continental, hot, equatorial; Inca would be coastal continental, temperate, equatorial; etc.

5. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

These are the kind of ideas that need to go into the new game. Not applying existing options to solve existing problems.

6. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Emperor

Well, I was thinking that whatever flags needed would only be checked if making a scenario/mod with preplaced starts, but the idea of preset geographic flavours for where civs start sounds awesome.

7. Mr. Dictator

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. Some of the existing problems will be inherent to any civesque game that is created.

8. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

I reckon he means applying actual corrective fixes that change and improve gameplay rather than ham-fisted work-arounds; confronting the problems and making something new rather than avoiding them altogether and cloning a game.

9. Wolfshade

Wolfshade Little Winger

Got 1 more idea which, possibly, will be interesting:
    units of same continental group civs may become invisible on the specific terrain. For example, French/Germans could become invisible in forests, Russians/Swedes invisible in tundra, Incans/Indians - jungle, etc.

It can be done by assigning specific terrain to the unit to apply invisibility option. The other thing - whether unit should spend a turn(s) to become invisible, or it should be done automatically when unit goes into the specific terrain tile.

10. Mr. Dictator

Why not have a customizable military as a whole, then?

Say, at some point around an organized warfare tech, you can access a screen much like civ's policy screen, and can pick all kinds of different variables. More could come with later techs as well.

Being able to zone areas would be nice as well. Have a nice map of your territory, and the ability to designate certain areas individual priorities. Industrial, and workers would only build industrial improvements; agricultural, commercial, defense, etc.

Also, using that screen to plot roads would be nice.

11. Wolfshade

Wolfshade Little Winger

Mr Dictator, this is nice idea (yet), but there are 2 things I currently see about it:
    1) it's not a Civ3 "standard" functionality, so it'll be an additional thing and its development, I suppose, may be postponed to a moment when all Civ3 functions will work (anyway, JimmyH is the boss - so this is my supposition);
    2) saying
    you describe no concrete things, so, please, provide more - what "civics" there should be, what "different" variables you want to propose. Yep, thanks. :)

12. Mr. Dictator

Oh, I'm just throwing ideas out, currently. As someone who isn't a designer on this project, I really see any worth I have being in more vague directions than concrete decisions like that.

Perhaps units could be broken down into, lets go with, 6 categories. Add or combine all you want, but for the purpose of my explanation I'll go with this. I'd probably call each "civic" "specialty" .There could also be an overall specialty variable.

Offensive
    Defensive
    Siege
    Support
    Skirmish
    Naval

As for specific examples of possible specialties, I can only offer a few right now.

Skirmishers (which I imagine as light units used more for disruption in the countryside) could get withdraw, if they don't already have it. Or for one turn they can become invisible and then move to another tile. Or they could use enemy roads for one turn. When they use these, perhaps there's a recharge period of a few turns.

Support (which is something I was thinking about earlier today and decided would be a good place to throw it in. could be scrapped without me minding, but there's some space to fill here, so what the hey.) would basically be units that provide bonuses for armies when attached to them. The fun part comes in when you select a unit, and it will how a colored line leading back to your nearest city. The color of the line would signify the strength of the supply chain and whatever that means exactly, we can work out. I was thinking a good bonus (standard, no variation) would be for the unit to heal X hitpoints at intervals. Green - 1 turn, Yellow - 2 turns, Red - 3 turns. This decreases as you move into enemy territory. If the line is broken by an enemy unit, it reroutes, but it can only reroute through flatland with no penalty. Mountains are a no-go, and forests automatically decreases the strength. Not sure how the AI could handle this (and is my biggest reason for saying, meeeeh), but I know it would at least make multiplayer more fun. I play too many games of Civ where I settle near mountain passes for the illusion that I've occupied a chokepoint. Specialties for this theoretical class could be near endless, since it would pass that trait onto whatever unit it's attached to.

For the overall specialties, all I have now is instant fortify. After researching a certain fortification tech, you can access this variable (or even perhaps make this a standard feature) where you can use a secondary "go-to" command which is "go-to-fortify". Perhaps it could take two turns, with the second turn being a full fortification and stronger.

Now, feel free to flat out turn down any of this, but don't say I didn't throw something out there :p

As a side note: some terrains should impede travel more than they do in Civ. For instance, deserts. My scout can cross a desert that's half as wide as my nation, and this doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps it should still be possible to get across it fairly early, but units should die after spending X consecutive turns in a desert. Perhaps there could be an improvement that takes a while to build called "desert settlement" that can only be built on an oases, and which allows a unit to reset the desert ticker. The same could be done for boats, until a certain advancement.

Something that could emulate the slow speed of exploration, then sudden rush, like we saw in history.

13. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

These ideas were explored in Alpha Centauri to some extent.

14. Wolfshade

Wolfshade Little Winger

OK, Mr Dictator, that's something concrete here. A couple of small comments to your recent post:
    Air? Just forgot, it seems.
    Yep, road/fortresses building may work here too (roman legionaries, engineering troops).
    I suggested the same thing - to weaken units in the specific terrain, so conquering arabs with norsemen will be more problematic (if arabs' cities located in the desert oasis). But this should be varied from civ to civ according to the historical sense.
    Well, this "something" should be interesting and concrete, I suppose. Your ideas were nice, so I asked for more info. ;)

15. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

All of that reminds me of a game called Warzone 2100…

Good news, everyone! I've had my computer fixed. no more sharing with my parents' ooooold sloooooooooooow machine.

16. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

I however am currently entirely dependant on sharing with my parents old slow machine, until my life settles down a bit more and I have enough space to actually set up my computer...

17. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

Does anyone know if JimmyH is actually still around to read these threads?

18. Wolfshade

Wolfshade Little Winger

He will come and answer himself. ;)

19. Nate1976

Nate1976 Just Plain Wierd

Hmm. So I just read the entirety of this thread (nice relaxing morning) and there are so many good ideas for basically a "civ3+". I love it. And, as a plus, everything is so far turning out to look much more polished than any other third-party "port" or rebuild that I've seen before. I'm getting back into civilization after a couple years off, and there are lots of good ideas here. One in particular I thought I could expand on is the idea of multiple maps.

Instead of looking in an entirely new direction of where to take that, I thought of an expansion to the core design of a world design application. Having 3 "maps", or layers, that are stacked: air, ground, and underwater. these three "maps" would correspond with each other.

The ground map would be the base layer, consisting of the standard terrain (grassland, jungle, mountains, sea, etc.) on an "x,y,0" basis.
    Air tiles would cover the same (complete map), "hovering" over the same coordinates as the ground (an "x,y,1"). A possibility would be SOME mountains that "rise" into air space and impede air traffic.
    underwater tiles would be more restricted, able to only form under the sea and ocean tiles of the ground map, in an "x,y,-1" fashion. This would allow more terrain possibilities, allowing underwater trenches, ocean ridges, and add a dimension to naval combat.

air units would be ale to"take off" from a city with an airport or a runway, and must also land at an airport or runway. Planes could only be in the air map for so many turns (fuel), else crash and burn onto the "x,y,0" map. Underwater units would be able to "launch" in some way from a city with a harbor, this part I haven't been able to think out yet. Early underwater subs could only spend so much time underwater before being destroyed as well, but could also surface anywhere "as long as it isn't occupied.

units could attack as designed on the same map, or up/down 1 map, but not from air to underground (maybe? thinking underwater to air missiles).

Air map visibility could be high, 3 squares on the air map as well as 1/2 on ground (servailance). Underwater would be limited, until maybe a sonar tech, 1 square as well as 1 ground.

I don't know how hard this would be to program, or even how useful it would be, but it would definitely add another layer of strategy (2, actually :p) as well as a handy way to handle airplanes, submarine units, hot air balloons, mountains, oil, shipping lanes, sunken treasure.

I'm definitely going to check out the editor that's been posted, and keep track of what's going o n with this. I would love to offer to help, but I don't know coding with squat and can't really do much graphically, but I'm definitely willing to give one guy's take on how civ3+ should be made :D

also, I typed this out on a smartphone so I apologize for any typos. I spend about 50% of my time on here instead of the computer. Hope this helps in anyway, and hope the project is still going - no new posts for the last month or so, I see...

20. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

Something more rudimentary was done in Civ 2 TOT that I loved, especially in the Scifi and Fantasy modes. I'd love something similar to be instated.