1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Independent Civilization ideas

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Jimmyh, May 5, 2011.

?

What should be the scope of the game

1. Clone with same bugs and limitations

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Clone with bug fixed

6.2%
  3. Clone with bug fixed and no limitation

27.7%
  4. New gameplay function, but keep existing graphics

26.2%
  5. New gameplay function, graphics can be different if needed

40.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

I agree with Blue Monkey: because it would make modding much, much easier, trust me.

Glad to see you back, jimmy.

2. Quinzy

Quinzy Chieftain

As far as improvements go, perhaps have a function where certain buildings are required to produce certain units, or trade resources.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but some mechanism allowing units to have variable combat abilities against various other units would be great. Like how pikes had +50% vs. Cavalry in Civ2.
    Perhaps a thing in the unit screen where you have an option to insert a variable.
    You could have it so that it's a flat number increase, like +2 Att, or Def, or whatever. Then you could set what this bonus is against. It could be one specific unit, several units, or a specific 'type' of unit. Units could have 'type' tags. For example, you could set a unit as 'cavalry'. Set another as 'infantry'. The 'infantry' unit could have +2 Def, or +50%, or something, versus all 'cavalry' units.

Perhaps certain units could have a unit cap? Perhaps certain buildings can increase the cap on specific units? This could be linked to the tag concept. Maybe units could have multiple tags?

Also, it would be great if you had multiple paths to technologies. You could learn X or Y to get tech Z, but you can still go back and research Z.

Is any of this reasonable? I haven't had the time to read through the thread, so I don't know if any of this has been covered before.

3. Takhisis

Takhisis Would-be overnight hero

I think they've all been proposed but it's good that they're refreshed and/or posted in a clearer way.

4. scratchthepitch

scratchthepitch Chieftain

Nice job so far, Jimmyh. And congratulations on the new baby.

I have a request about units. Would it be possible to use firepower, as was done in Civ2, instead of using the Civ3 style ROF?

5. Takhisis

I'm not sur we can call you jimmy anymore. Time to grow up man! ;)

6. Jimmyh

Jimmyh Chieftain

hahaha, I don't actually like being called Jimmy. My real name is James, but that's not a very good internet name. Then again neither is Jimmy :s

7. Jimmyh

Jimmyh Chieftain

Thank you. And done, city improvements and advances can now be set who they are available to.

And this leads onto my next question.

In the civ3 editor you can place a city and then sat what city improvements it has. Does owner of that city not need to have researched the required techs?

8. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Chieftain

I'm pretty sure they don't.

By the way, is it possible to make the AI use artillery more effectively? I know absolutely nothing about program writing, but I know this would be greatly appreciated.

9. Takhisis

In civ3 they don't. Please don't just copy everything from civ3! Do we get the phantom resource bug included in the package? Let's hope not. :)
    Of course it can! We've over ten years of experience and a few neurotic beta testers so we can improve on things!

Check out this thread, it'll be interesting.

10. Jimmyh

Jimmyh Chieftain

I have no intention of copying every thing from civ3, but the previously discussed items are basic needs that we need to have.

Phantom resource bug? Might be better if I don't know, that way you won't get it!

11. Takhisis

The phantom resource bug has been notorious for a long time. A Phantom resource is a resource that the city doesn't have (or shouldn't have) but the game displays as beign available there.
    Here's Ram's explanation from the Hegemon playtesting thread:
    The problem is, sometimes these phantom resources do count and you can build stuff that requires said resources.

A longer and fuller explanation can be found here.

A simplee way to deal with it would be, instead of having three types of resources, to have only one type and then you can choose how much of a production/food/gold/etc. bonus (or penalty) it adds to the tile, whether it gives happiness/sadness/etc. to the people and then any resource can be selected to be required for any unit/building/whatever. It'd make modders' life easier. :)

12. Jimmyh

Jimmyh Chieftain

That's a scary thread, think I might skip that one.

Your idea does make sense, the only thing you then need to worry about is how to design the UI to show the amount you need.

13. Takhisis

And instead of having a resources.pcx file (or with whichever extension you go through) and choosing a little number and all, you could just specify the filename from a list in a text file like is done with civilopedia icons in civIII.

14. T-mun

T-mun King Numa

You need to have different types of ressources, because there are ressources you can trade, others you can't, ressource that see their effect multiplicated by a market, etc. Avoiding the bug without changing it would be nice :)
    Not sure it has been mentionned before, but having a specific building required for a specific unit would also be nice (stable for mounted units, barracks only for foot units, etc.)

EDIT: Quinzy had been requesting it just a few posts above...

15. Takhisis

You can simply add 'tradeable' as a simple box than can be (un)checked.
    And in the building's tab you can choose 'multiplies the effect of X by an amount Y' and you're all set. If you do it with .xml files you can just add a tag to resources to avoid repetition.

Having buildings for units, yes indeed! We've all suggested it. A simple drop-down box in the unit's properties reading 'requires…' and then you select a building and you're all set.

16. Jimmyh

Jimmyh Chieftain

Yes you've all suggested it and it's in! So you can stop asking now :p

17. Takhisis

Ah, we could also make more units tradeable instead of the completely moronic decision of having the second unit on the list be the trade unit. We could sell guns, boats, etc., hire out mercenary troops… buy Elephants from Chandragupta as a peace settlement…

18. T-mun

T-mun King Numa

I totally second this. Hurray for Takhisis. And Jimmy, you just rock. Keep up reading our minds :)

19. Takhisis

Thanks! There's just some moments when I get a lot of ideas and post them. Jimmy somehow manages to balance baby-raising with modding and having a job. :eek: I'm not sure I could.

20. ShiroKobbure

ShiroKobbure Still modding Civ3

I'm amazed to see how much you've done, I was scared for awhile that this project was abandoned. I really like that units can now be required to have a building before they are produced, I think that many people requested it.

You know what would also be interesting? Leasing units. Putting armies or workers under the control of another civ for a period of time. That way one civ could give another some units to fight another civ by proxy, sort of like the Cold War.