1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Independent Civilization ideas

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Jimmyh, May 5, 2011.

?

What should be the scope of the game

1. Clone with same bugs and limitations

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Clone with bug fixed

6.2%
  3. Clone with bug fixed and no limitation

27.7%
  4. New gameplay function, but keep existing graphics

26.2%
  5. New gameplay function, graphics can be different if needed

40.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

What Steph said. Get it functional with simple colored tiles. You know there are plenty of people who will mod the graphics anyway.

2. Takhisis

Takhisis Would-be overnight hero

Definitely don't make the graphics. People will probably import some from civ3 if someone doesn't do the graphics for you eventually, use one colour for each as BM said.

3. Jimmyh

Jimmyh Chieftain

I wasn't going to make the terrain graphics my self, but add some functionality for other people to make different terrain types and add them to the already existing terrain, Ocean, Sea, Coast, Grassland, Tundra, Destert, Plains, etc.

4. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

Since base terrain are relatively complex (because of the file combining 3 different types of terrain), if you at a X type, you need to have the gtx, gpx, gdx, gcx, etc.

I think it's a little complex and you should avoid wasting time with it.

But you could allow different types forest, rivers, mountains, hills, or roads, which are more or less independant graphics.

5. Jimmyh

Jimmyh Chieftain

Well the engine supports an unlimited number of terrain types. It's just that the UI doesn't yet support a nice way of adding more, so you could do it through the xml if you knew what meant what.

So it would just be up to the person creating a mod if they wanted to add more terrain types.

I'll leave it for now and move on.

6. Takhisis

Maybe a new system for doing terrain could be implemented… if you're doing away with units32.pcx and resources.pcx other things can be re-done.

7. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Chieftain

How about making resources in water becoming available with a required building, like a fishing dock for fish, or offshore platfom for oil. The resource would then be able to be traded and shared like a land based resource. A similar idea could be used for land based resources, like wines requiring a winery in the city radius it belongs to before it can be exploited and traded internally or externally.

I feel sort of guilty just throwing up ideas, but this project is absolutely tanatalizing in terms of potential.
    Thanks again Jimmyh!

8. Takhisis

Building an oil rig as a city improvement? Yes and no, because if infantry attacks the city from the ground and conquers it they don't necessarily get to reach the platform… I'm more in favour of actually sending out a ship to build an oil rig, or fishing boats to take in fish, and such… perhaps the city could have a 'fleet' of tankers -a non-unit prop- bringing oil in, requiring clear passage and symbolised by a little .flc of ships coming to and from the rig?

9. Quintillus

Quintillus Civ III Forum Resident Supporter

The resource handling - both water-based resources being available, and requiring a specific improvement beyond just a road - is an area where I think Civ4 is an improvement on Civ3. I like Bengal Tiger's idea, and agree with Takhisis that ships should be used for H2O-based resource connection.

10. Takhisis

Maybe you could build an underground pipeline improvement so that enemy ships can't simply sit on it and prevent your little tanker fleet from transporting the oil, but the rig itself could still be occupied.

11. T-mun

T-mun King Numa

If blockades could be added to the game, that would be fun. An isolated city on an Island could be deprived from its ressources and communication with the motherland.

12. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Chieftain

In a real war, you don't think they would do just that?(or at least disrupt the transportation of resources through pipelines or otherwise)
    Blockades do have some great potential, although with the current game it is unfeasable,as you need dozens of ships to block off a country's coastline completely. Maybe if an enemy ship had a "zone of contol" in the 8 surrounding tiles it would be a lot more playable, as well as adding new life to naval warfare. The trick would be to get the AI to use ot as well...

13. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

Just tried to get a loan in SOE and thought "Why can't I negotiate the terms of the loan?". That would be nice to see.

14. T-mun

T-mun King Numa

I thought we were talking of an Indie Civ game... this means a different game with an other AI, acting differently :) My idea of blockades was to close the way for 1 city, not a whole country.

15. Takhisis

Or else you block the shipping lanes and prevent resources from reaching the metropolis. You can cut out rubber from the tropics and suchlike.
    You can have shipping lanes by disallowing ocean travel and placing navigable routes on sea or coast tiles in civ3.
    Maybe we could have the shipping routes to trade a resource be set on the map and resettable from the city screen…
    The duration and terms of a treaty should be negotiable.

As well as several new subtypes of treaty like Nonaggression pacts, the transfers and loans of mercenaries as stated above, truces (during warfare, five turns without attacks, for example). Maybe the unit exchanges could be used as prisoner exchanges if you return captured units.
    You can do either.

Or both. :evil:

And yes, having a competent AI is a bit of a priority. Having the AI just thow everything at you in a straight line and/or move their workers into your path when you invade is completely stupid.

Maybe we could get the AI to actually design a strategy for attacking your cities?
    A tile unit cap would be great, most terrains could be capless but you could limit the amount of units on fords, bridges, locks, mountain passes, docks, etc.

Or for it to wage a war of attrition? Spreading out its units to blockade a city and so deprive you of your Iron if the city's too strongly fortified to be taken by storm?
    An element of hunger/starvation could be added: granaries could store food and a city under siege would have to consume that food. You coudl only exploit the tiles which can still be accessed from the city by a unit without running into any enemy units.

16. Takhisis

Is there a way we could have numbers for money units set to, say, the Southeast Asian system? 20,00,000 silver taels and so forth… would give a lot of flavour, could be changed with the civ of each player.

P.S. or a vigesimal system in Yucatán…

17. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Chieftain

I really like the idea of selling units; renting units not so much. What's to stop the unscrupulous human from renting units from AI for say 20 turns at a set rate and then disbanding them all and declaring war on aforementioned country?

18. Takhisis

You can't disband or resell units you don't own.

19. ShiroKobbure

ShiroKobbure Still modding Civ3

you wouldn't be able to disband units you don't own. I think if possible the disband icon should be changed to return units.
    Also you would need to have good relations, and money. And to take a large part of their army you would need to have a large amount of money. I don't think it would be a good strategy for the human player.
    Declaring war on the country would also break the contract, and the units would be returned.

I think if we can do this its going to be interesting. A human or AI can fight proxy wars without affecting their reputation with their neighbors or with the civ being attacked. And then, if the AI can figure out how to use it, there is the chance of going to attack a small weak civ and finding out they have a large army of rented units you didn't know about.

20. Jimmyh

Jimmyh Chieftain

Been a bit slow this this past week :(

Although this should make some of you happy, I started work on being able to import civ biq/bic/bix files. Many thanks to Quintillus for helping me out with that.

Below is the imported file from the SoE mod. Still lots of work to do though.

Spoiler :