[R&F] Independent Free Cities?

An independent or free city is one that has left a civ due to low loyalty, but hasn't been conquered or absorbed by another civ (or the same civ) yet. It's sort of an in-between phase. You can't interact with them like a city-state.

That's about all we know.

Actually, I like the idea of "independent cities" much more than city states. After all, you can interact with them: You can surely send trade routes & you can declare war and conquer them. This feels much more "natural" than city states, since it results from the basic rules of the game. It isn't so "artificial" like the quests & benefits of the city states that are deliberately engineered to make city states "interesting".

Green isn't used. Shade of Red is used for Military.
I guess. I always thought the Military CSs used brown, but that might be an optical illusion from the surrounding black.

I guess. I always thought the Military CSs used brown, but that might be an optical illusion from the surrounding black.
Orange Brownish color is used for Industrial.

Id love it if you could defend the "free cities" and prevent them from being annexed by military means by other nations.

Cities breaking off of existing civs and forming new civs is the #1 new feature that I have wanted to see added since I began playing this series. It would work wonders in terms of making the late game more interesting.
I agree, this is one area where the core gameplay has to trump reality. Civilisations in Civ are all about the gradual progression through the ages, and all represent the "players", whether they are AI or human. New players should not enter a game halfway through.

In Civ IV independent colonies were nearly always weak rump states that had no chance of winning, as you wouldn't grant independence to any core productive cities. They don't really provide an interesting new dynamic to the game. They are either ignored or gobbled up by another civ, which is entirely covered by the new Independent Free Cities.

I strongly disagree with this, gradual progression is what makes the late game so boring. New civilizations being created mid-game worked great in the Rhys and Fall mod in Civ4 (which firaxis seemed to like so much they named this X-pac after it), it also worked just fine in the RevolutionDCM mod as well as almost all of Paradox's grand strategy games. It really just needs to be balanced properly.

I can't see it happening: it would be too tough to implement sweetly.
What would happen if you are already playing with all of the civs (including
DLCs)?

If you already have every single civ in a single game then that game is going to be a clusterf*** no matter what. Also, I have been lurking on this forum for years and only decided to create an account because I REALLY want to see this feature added to civ eventually

If you already have every single civ in a single game then that game is going to be a clusterf*** no matter what.

I play with all available civs on ludicrous size Terra TSL maps.
I'd rather see your idea as a mod than a standard feature.

I imagine those types of scenarios with everyone on the map at once are rare. But in those instances the game just wouldn't trigger the amalgamation of states.
I do like the idea of a new civ forming. It could throw a decent spanner in the works mid game

I imagine those types of scenarios with everyone on the map at once are rare. But in those instances the game just wouldn't trigger the amalgamation of states.
I do like the idea of a new civ forming. It could throw a decent spanner in the works mid game

Rare? I doubt I'm the only one on here that uses every one.
Others in my family only play ludicrous size maps with all available
civs.
A mod is the best way to get what you want. :)

Id love it if you could defend the "free cities" and prevent them from being annexed by military means by other nations.

Perhaps they become a city-state?

What would happen if you are already playing with all of the civs (including
DLCs)?
Maybe the parent civ is just playing against itself then? Usually I would name that play style a mistake, because the gossups get mixed up and the diplomacy ist running crazy if you play against ... say... two Perikles. But on the other hand there even is a achievement for playing against yourself. So it should be reasoned. Somehow.

Top Bottom