India 1500CE

Israelite9191

You should be reading
Could anyone provide me with information on the geopolitical state of India in 1500 CE? I don't mean to sound demanding, but it needs to be as of 1500 CE, not later. Thank you.

Start an EU2 game in 1492!

I don't know if he has it, or if my EU1 (which starts in 1492) still works. Post a screenshot! :D

INDIA 1500
A very very rough guide

Map of major states, c.1525:
http://www.india-history.com/medival-india/babur-invasion.html

The major states:

The Islamic Kingdom of Kabul, ruled by none other than the famous Babur of the Mughals, descendent of Timur Lenk and Genghis Khan. As the Timurid Empire collapsed in the late 15th century chiefs and warlords set up their own state. Babur’s was one of them and is centred in Afghanistan and Kashmir and gaining strength.

The Sultanate of Delhi, ruled by the Lohdi Dynasty. The sultan in 1500 was Sikandar Lodhi, who is generally a nice sort of chap and forged good relations with the Afghan warlords and Bengal, another Muslim state.

Two other Muslim states are in the Indus valley, Multan and Sind. In Rajasthan are the Rajput states under the (not always respected) leadership of Mewar. The Rajputs are from many clans and sometimes fight or betray each other. They claim descent from the Kshatriya warrior caste and are known as fierce, anti-Muslim warriors, and often conflict with the surrounding Muslim states.

The Sultanate of Malwa still holds a lot of influence in central India. Nearby is the Sultanate of Gujarat. Sometimes they banded together to fight the Rajputs to the north, sometimes they just fight each other.

The Gondwana region comprised of three kingdoms: Garha-Mandla, Deogarh-Nagpur and Chanda-Sirpur. In Orissa there is the hinduGajapati Kingdom, which is quite weak compared to its neighbours the Bahmani and Vijayanagar. The Islamic Bahmani Kingdom was the remaint of the Bahmani Sultanate which dominates Central India until its collapse in the late 15th century. By 1500 it began to break up into small rival states: Ahmadnagar, Bijapur, Berar, Bidar and Golconda (known as the Deccan Sultanates). Bahmani’s nemesis, the Hindu kingdom of Vijayanagar, still stands strong as of 1500, as the superpower of the Indian subcontinent.

In the south the Portuguese arrived at the end of the 15th century and have already conquered the important ports of Calicut and Cochin. Relations with the Vijayanagar have been generally cordial (the same cannot be said for the Deccan Sultanates)

I hope that help :)

Top Bottom