1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

india deity domination

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by loulou, Aug 14, 2014.

1. loulou

loulou Chieftain

I need a little help beating civ with the following settings..

Deity, Pangaea standard map, standard pace, India. I'd like to build a wide empire and beat the map with domination. I guess i could get it to work if i have an amazing start, but i'm not a big fan of restarting endlessly or of legendary starts.

I've tried a number of times and i run into similar troubles. The setback in happiness hurts early on and i have troubles overcoming that setback. If i build more than 3 cities i run into unhappiness too early. If i wait longer with cities, the good spots are taken.

I'm guessing the way to go is to build 2 max 3 cities, grow them a little bit, and attack AI with CBs (or wait longer? get nc and all, but then i feel like i'm not going wide. i want to expand, quickly!) and forget about settling more cities yourself (after all, by then the good spots will be taken). However, when i do that my empire also gets unhappy. in my last game i had 4 cities, all decent spots, had a religion, and attacked a neighbouring civ with Colossus GL and HG in their capital. and had -15 and -20 happiness in no time (the city didn't have new luxuries). rebels, 2 civs attacking me, a big mess. I held them all off, somehow, and then they allied neighbouring city states with knights and all and they took 2 cities in one turn :p woops. didn't see that coming. However, i also shouldn't have waited much longer, as the AI was getting a lead on science with their decent-sized cities.

So my question is, how to start and get over this happiness "threshold", but still have an aggressive and wide tactic?

2. werothegreat

werothegreat Warlord

If you want to play wide, you're playing with the wrong Civ.

3. loulou

loulou Chieftain

i disagree! india can be great playing wide. for slightly bigger cities india is much more happiness-friendly than most civs (cities>6). I've won games playing wide with india on lower levels. Somehow I just can't get through the unhappy start on deity though..

edit - though, in all fairness, it's an easier civ to play going for a culture or tech victory with a couple of cities

4. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

You probably want to stagnate your cities until they build their happiness buildings, and try and keep away from war early on.

5. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

Good advice here, and this is why India/domination is so tough on deity...you just can't get too many cities too fast, and it takes a while to get to size 6 for a cluster of cities.

6. Acrobatc101

Acrobatc101 Chieftain

I've beaten deity many times

I only play with India

India is very good for playing wide because they have less unhappiness than other civs...meaning I can keep spamming cities in the beginning without having barbs and poor production, poor growth and tech from unhappy civilization etc.

7. loulou

loulou Chieftain

i agree that india is great for wide, it's just the beginning which makes it difficult! i managed on all levels but deity to go wide early. too many unhappiness points. even for the second city you should already have 2 luxuries. i think it's near impossible unless you have a big diversity of luxuries, many early workers, a bit of luck with goodie huts (getting techs like trapping) so you can quickly get all the luxury points. or of course happiness natural wonders. i had all of this one game, but i had too many neighbours too close by (including mr. shaka). I'm not sure if i agree with stalling growth, because that's exactly where the strength lies of india. big cities, fast.

I won a game now, by domination, so it's possible! but to be fair i had some good locations to start with and luck in the beginning. I basically started up playing tall (3 cities, quick nc, second city with 4 salt), so i had a great basis. i took out songhai using a lot of elephants produced in the salt-city, and they had different luxuries. I was very lucky as i took all the cities while the greeks were also warring them (i got the capital because i sneaked in a scout while the greeks destroyed all of it..). i had two great generals after this war and used them to easily keep out the greeks (and get another luxury) and on the other border the mongols (a great border to stop them, hills and between mountains) so i could focus on pimping the cities. After a small period of unhappiness and stalled growth (and i was trailing) i quickly catched up as i had 5 good cities and 2 puppets and growing cities is then a walk in the park with india :) after public schools i was basically set for the win. i took out greeks and mongols using artillery and the rest in the endgame (including two coastal capitals)

8. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

Acken's posted a BNW Deity Pangea Babylon warfare LP video. Although he is playing as Babylon I think the tactic will work with India. You only build 2 cities and then engage in war, annexing cities as needed when happiness looks likely to go in the red.