1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

India Rocks!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by lutzj, Mar 13, 2006.

1. lutzj

lutzj The Last Thing You See

I was playing on the scenario "earth" and chose India just for the heck of seeing how good their fast workers are. I was either doubling or tripling my opponent's scores by 1 AD, while playing as mongols on this scenario i got whooped.
    Here's why:
    1: Since in this scenario all countries are placed on roughly their modern locations, India is in a great starting point. With the himilayas to the north, ocean to the south, and the weak (and easy to please)persians to the west, all you have to worry about is deep into your NE front, where the chinese await.
    also, you have many important resources, including incense, ivory, iron, rice, etc.
    2: fast workers are some of the best unique units because they have an infinetly large window, and their mobility allows you to move into a jungle space (common in India) and begin work immedietly, giving you a competitive edge in the long term.

2. Jas

Jas Chieftain

I'd agree, the fast workers are my favourite unique unit. Usable right through the game, never obsolete.

3. gunkulator

gunkulator Emperor

I dunno. Later in the game I tend to have a lot of workers sitting around doing nothing. Early on, I prefer a military UU that can go in a capture me some AI workers so that I don't have to build that many.

4. jpowers

jpowers Emperor

I agree. The only thing better than an Indian Fast Worker is a captured Indian Fast Worker.

5. maltz

maltz King

Too bad they lost their "fast" status, and their mustache upon capture.

6. lutzj

i hate early wars, i end up dying

7. [Comrade]RaVE

[Comrade]RaVE Chieftain

I love playing India for the fast workers and the spiritual attribute. Nothing beats switching civics with no punishment what-so-ever.

8. lutzj

yeah i forgot about that. an added bonus!:goodjob:

9. The Lardossen

The Lardossen Warlord

I always play Asoka. Always. Even Catherine or 'ze Romunz don't cut it for me.

10. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry Warlord

I play a warmonger style as ghandi, industrial/spiritual + fast workers means great infrastructue, resource connections, and massive armies. The first time I tried this out it worked GREAT. double the points of the next leading civ for the rest of the game after crushing the english. Then I took alex after aquirering cavalry. after this i was sreally far ahead in tech. But since I was going after a time victory(though I could have won any other way If I wanted to, It's just this time I felt like it) I had nothing to do but build IBCMs, by 2040 I had future tech 60 and 200+ IBCMs :D.

11. DementedAvenger

DementedAvenger Prince

Nothing except an extra commerce for every tile with at least two, a free combat I promotion, double great person production, or double wonder and forge production...

12. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry Warlord

I find spiritual is very helpful in the early game but that it really doesn't matter later on. an extra turn can give you quite an edge sometimes. unless your playing marathon where one turn doesn't matter too much. but It can help If you need to switch to nationhood and draft a unit to defend a city NOW. or if you are building a very importent wonder and so switch to organized religion/buracracy to get an advantage, then back to what you had before. It can be put to good use If you know the civics and how they can help at a particular moment.

13. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

Spiritual is very helpfull in a middle game. I use it a lot for Nationalism switching. For example, surprise attack. Some one declared and drop army at my city protected by one warrior.
    That turn I switch to Nationalism and slavery or (darn, forgot one that let you buy stuff.

So next tune you have upgraded warrior+drafted unit + unit I bougth/wiped in city. In addition 2 more drafted coming from near by cities.

Actially as spiritual I tend to switch for 4 turns to Nationalism befor war to draft an army often. Useally 4 turns is more then enogth to draft up to all awalible happiness from all towns you want to draft.

Spiritual is very powerfull trat.

14. Gyhth

Gyhth Warlord

Yeah. Personally, I'd like to see the Fast Worker being different than all other workers in all instances; even when you capture them, I'd like them to retain their "fast" abilities. I mean, I can understand them doing that because it's supposed to be a UU and all, but I think it be far better if they simple kept being fast no matter what. I mean, who wouldn't keep india alive then, if even just to take all their workers? I know I'd keep them around :lol:

15. atreas

atreas King

It's exactly the opposite - especially in Marathon and large empires spiritual rocks. It was a bless to be able to change 2-3 civics instantly, when with a non spiritual civ I would have to wait something like 9 turns (you see, the Anarchy is not always 1 turn in Marathon - after a while it begins with 3 turns and goes up).

But I wasn't impressed by the UU. If it was a little faster in tasks and not in movement then maybe it would be something.

16. FastWorker

FastWorker Warlord

They lose their fast status upon capture, unfortunately. But they retain their fast status when gifted. Trick is how to get them as a gift.

17. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry Warlord

I actually find the extra movement point helpful. mainly because
    I don't have to waste my time moving into a hill/forest. It might not do much but I never really use UUs anyway, the worker is a nice bounus for me.

18. Mahatmajon

Mahatmajon Prince

You're missing one of the best Fast Worker advantages. A captured Fast Worker changes into a 'normal' worker, but if you're India and capture a worker it turns into a Fast Worker. That's a HUGE advantage and encourages early worker stealing.

In the latest GOTM I captured 3 workers from two neighboring civs early and was able to run them home across the map dodging the AI and barbs with the extra movement. Saves having to build workers yourself and they can make it a LONG way in 5-7 turns. Throw in chopping and you can expand very quickly.

19. Crighton

Crighton Emperor

I just wish you could put the captured workers back into the city pop like you could in previous versions

20. Riffraff

Riffraff Deity

Also have great experiences using India. Hadnt managed to beat monarch (bout 4-5 tries), then decided to try India and won 2 games in a row.

Second game, (using Asoka) was way too easy actually, had about double the points to second place by 500 AD. Took me less then 3h to finish the game (epic speed).

Did nothing special in those games, but the workers give you such a great start, that early war and/or wonder rushing become much easier than normally.