India UA

CivilizationRox

Chieftain
I feel like India's UA right now is useless (the negative penalty). I feel like with the addition of religion, India's modified UA should have something to do with religion.

India does have a lot to do with religion, so a religious UA makes sense. Even the intro screen for India mentions that it is the "founding place of three of the worlds greatest religions", or something like that. If India were just now being added as DLC, it would certainly make sense to give it a religious UA. However, I definitely don't want it changed now.

India's current UA is far from "useless". It's one of the most powerful UA's in the game for a small empire (if not the most powerful). See the War Academy article on India, I'm sure it will change your mind. You essentially accept 3 extra unhappiness each time you found a city, and then you later reap the rewards of a lower unhappiness for population. The War Academy article has a few graphs that really make it clear how much extra happiness you're getting. It's a ton.

India does have a lot to do with religion, so a religious UA makes sense. Even the intro screen for India mentions that it is the "founding place of three of the worlds greatest religions", or something like that. If India were just now being added as DLC, it would certainly make sense to give it a religious UA. However, I definitely don't want it changed now.

India's current UA is far from "useless". It's one of the most powerful UA's in the game for a small empire (if not the most powerful). See the War Academy article on India, I'm sure it will change your mind. You essentially accept 3 extra unhappiness each time you found a city, and then you later reap the rewards of a lower unhappiness for population. The War Academy article has a few graphs that really make it clear how much extra happiness you're getting. It's a ton.

Which war academy article. Can you give me the link?

After reading the article, I am starting to agree with CivilizedPlayer. Their UA is effective. Still I think they should add to the UA by incorporating religion in it.

I personally hope they change India's ability completely.

considering that India as a civ in civilization is something that appears to represent an entire sub-continent and thousands of years of history, I think that India in CiV is probably the worst designed nation in the game. There unit is the elephant archer is, well, not very creative at all. In age of empires 3 they had like 8 unique units like Sepoy's and Zamburak's. However in CiV they resorted to elephant archer. There ability just points out that in modern day India there are allot of people, great. In fact the most unique part there profile is the Mughal fort which is the only defensive building in the game not to have an on map graphic.

On a lighter note i do think that most of the civ's in the game are very well designed and unique and India's the only one i consider very Bland.

i agree with godofsteele. those are the reasons i have not yet played as india in any game; it doesn't feel like i'd be playing a fleshed-out civilisation.

I personally love playing India. Their UA is the tits for tall empire culture wins. The elephant archer and mughal fort are very bland though. Not exciting in the least. I assume they are intended to be defensive in nature so you can turtle-up for the culture win, but they really do a terrible job. The elephant archer is just a mobile bowman that, correct me if im wrong, is weaker on the defensive since it dosent recieve terrain bonuses and enemy spearmen recieve a bonus against them. The Science turtles, Korea and Babylon, have much better uniques to turtle-up with.

I would welcome faith based bonuses for India, though I wouldn't want to lose one of my favorite UAs.

I don't think they're going to go out of their way to add things just because they can - especially since it's quite possibly to rightfully claim lots of civs have religious connections. Their UA is solid, especially when combined with everything else. It's designed for tall empires, but I know people who have used India effectively to REX. I don't think they need a change (compared to Songhai, which does because their ability has been essentially taken over by everyone).

i'm not sure a happiness bonus based on population really makes much sense, but none-the-less maybe there could be a faith bonus equal to half your excess happiness? much like that one piety policy does with happiness and culture. the extra happiness isn't used for much more other than building extra cities, which india's UA seems to discourage.

and of course extra faith per cattle would be a cute idea.

Out of curiosity, how many Civilizations have abilities that favour one type of empire (tall or wide) ? I don't think an ability should favor one empire over the other because it limits it's potential. So I would want to see their UA changed, at least changed it so it has a positive ability and not a negative one (being the ONLY negative one, why would you choose a -20% bonus against cities instead of a +20%?).

(well, I just realised that "how many Civs have abilites that favor one type of empire" is a bit weird to ask since I just realised that many empires would favour a bigger empire (Arabia's ability, bigger trade rout icnome etc) but you know what I mean, an ability that works for both empires.

Out of curiosity, how many Civilizations have abilities that favour one type of empire (tall or wide) ? I don't think an ability should favor one empire over the other because it limits it's potential. So I would want to see their UA changed, at least changed it so it has a positive ability and not a negative one (being the ONLY negative one, why would you choose a -20% bonus against cities instead of a +20%?).

(well, I just realised that "how many Civs have abilites that favor one type of empire" is a bit weird to ask since I just realised that many empires would favour a bigger empire (Arabia's ability, bigger trade rout icnome etc) but you know what I mean, an ability that works for both empires.

Rome's UA also encourgaes the player to go wide. France too.
The Indian UA is good, sure there is a negative aspect to it, but it is better (more fun) than having only a 25%-50% less happiness per citizen. I love it how the UA playes a significant factor in how you play the game. It adds replayability.

You only need to get an Indian city to 6 population before you "break even" in terms of happiness. So you can expand as much as you like, and still benefit, so long as your cities are well-fed.

Honestly, people who get hung up on this "negative" ability should look a little closer at what the penalty actually means.

The Indian UA is one of the most powerful. The math supports that.

If I were to make a change to India, it would not be for the UA, it would be for the UU scrap that lame elephant, and give them a new missionary that...does cool stuff?

Every nation mostly gets some sort of flat bonus, why can't India instead get the equivalent of the old theocracy 25% less unhappiness from population. Removes the penalty & keeps the focus on population growth. The 25% number can be easily adjusted for balance.

Currently India's ability is easily exploited by taking over cities & building/buying a courthouse which removes the penalty completely. Making India pretty overpowered mid-endgame.

At first look, India's UA LOOKS like it is custom made for a tall civilization. As I found out when I played them, that is not the case. The vast majority of your unhappiness in CiV is from population, regardless of empire size. You can have a huge empire with India, but you have to expand a little more slowly at first until you can get the happiness under control. Honor is one of my favorite policy trees for controlling happiness, and can easily negate the initial happiness problem with a garrison, wall, and castle.

Top Bottom