1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

India wants to ape China

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by druidravi, Jan 13, 2012.

1. druidravi

druidravi King

in banning/controlling Facebook, Google ,Yahoo and other such sites
    http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/g...nable-content-166543?pfrom=home-lateststories

Spoiler :

The government has sanctioned the prosecution of executives from companies like Google and Facebook for objectionable content posted online. Yesterday, the Delhi High Court warned that like China, India can shut down these sites. 21 internet companies are in legal trouble

Internet companies say they cannot develop a method to monitor defamatory or obscene material that's been posted on their sites. "No human interference is possible, and moreover, it can't be feasible to check such incidents. Billions of people across the globe post their articles on the website." That met with an angry response from the Delhi High Court yesterday, which said, "You just have a stringent check. Otherwise, like China, we may pass orders banning all such web sites."

The case centres on a petition filed in December by a journalist named Vinay Rai, who referred to obscene depictions online of Jesus Christ, the Prophet Mohammed, and various Hindu deities. In response, a Delhi magistrate summoned the executives of 21 companies and suggested they face trial for criminal conspiracy. The magistrate had said, "It appears from a bare perusal of the documents that the accused, in connivance with each other and other unknown persons, are selling, publicly exhibiting and have put into circulation obscene, lascivious content

The main problem is the so called derogatory depiction of various religious holy figures .
    Secularism Indian version means all religions have equal power to influence state , not separation of state from religion.

So if you criticize any religion/religious figure harshly you can have case registered against you for promoting enmity between religious groups , inciting riots .

2. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

All religions should be mocked freely to people's satisfaction.

3. druidravi

druidravi King

Couldn't agree more . Religion like any other ideology should be free to be ridiculed . No special treatment for religion or religious viewpoints.

4. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Why to mock anything others take seriously? Come with your different opinons or object if someone acts against his own principles - reveal that. But mockery for its own sake is stupidity.

5. Murky

Murky Deity

Mockery is a sign of immaturity.

6. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

Mockery is a sign of superiority.

7. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Several millennia of human artistic history would disagree with that assessment.

8. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Amen to that :)

Are you serious? If some guys believed in a holy flying pig and worshipped it every morning by making loud grunting and squeeling sounds, wouldn't you mock them?

Mockery is a way of exposing the stupidity of a belief. Once you start cutting people's tongues out just because you don't like them making fun of a ideology or a belief system, you lose any semblance of freedom in a society.

Incapability of accepting mockery as an indispensable part of a free discourse is a sign of neurotic authoritarianism.

9. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

It probably does work NOT well in India to that. I can see this as semi-sensible policy for India, given history and the degree of human development in parts of the country. It does seem a shame to ban free expression, as in a way this like banning firearms to citizens just because some criminals use firearms indiscriminantly.

I'm happier with the American form of secularism in government--but that goes for me living it up in America.

I always felt that mockery was a sign of insecurity.

10. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

On the contrary - insecure people can't deal with mockery, and so they resort to violence. See the storm which always erupts when someone dares mock the Religion of Peace (TM) for a good example of what I mean.

11. Traitorfish

Should somebody start compiling a list of all the Xs that are Y, or can we all keep track of this by ourselves?

12. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

It's episodes like this that remind us why we need to mock religion: because religion tends to be oppressive and stupid when given respect. India's caste system is still there, despite not being officially recognized.

13. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

Everything, not just religions, should be mocked freely.
    As soon as you can't mock something that something becomes dangerous

14. Traitorfish

e.g. polar bears

15. Murky

Murky Deity

Or a sign of delusions of grandeur.

People should brush off insulting mockery as an act of childishness. I do disagree with the idea of censoring mockery in general. I am a fan of SNL. :p

Parody has its place in entrainment. I do think there's a difference between comedy and intentionally insulting someone by mocking their beliefs. That is just a form of trolling. Of course Free Speech should allow it, but again it's still childish. If you have a reasonable argument against something you don't have be immature about it.

16. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

Especially polar bears!:scan:

(You know what I mean:rolleyes:)

17. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

I see it simmilary. If I know better then somebody else I can try show him better by my own example but if I condescend to mockery it shows the helplesness, innability on my own part.

And superiority is inferiority expressed in clever way;).

Yes. I am quite serious.
    Thats realy tempting example... but mainly I would try call in some medical attention first...
    You seem to imply that belief is some sort of stupidity on its own. You know you could be mocked at for that...
    I beliefe I didnt suggest that...

18. LegionSteve

LegionSteve Motörhead

No actually, I would probably join in, that sounds like fun :)

But yes, in general, I completely agree with you.

19. berkut

berkut Warlord

Totally disagree, but, it's sad to see another democracy that doesn't respect free speech

20. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Things that can't be mocked are dangerous doesn't imply that things that can be mocked are not dangerous. I didn't think you would make that mistake.