Indian hero shoots down suicide bombers

Kshatriya

Chieftain
A Lieutenant in the Indian army shot down two suicide bombers, before they could make the attack. He lost his own life in the encounter.

He prevented a disaster; Indian railway stations are so crowded that there could have been easily hundreds killed. Pranam to this brave soldier.

Screen heroes may rekindle memories of the 1999 Kargil War, but Indian Army officer Lieutenant Triveni Singh became a real life hero when he gunned down two terrorists in direct combat. The young soldier's raw courage averted what could have been a bloodbath at Jammu Railway Station on January 2. After accomplishing his duty, the brave officer laid down his life.

"I am proud of our young officer Lieutenant Triveni Singh, who braved firing and grenade bursts to kill both the suicide group terrorists in the shortest-ever operation at the railway station," Rajinder Singh, general officer commanding, 26 Infantry Division, said in Jammu.

Army sources said Singh, who headed the army's Quick Reaction Team posted at the station, spotted the two heavily armed Lashkar-e-Tayiba terrorists forcing their way into the station in battle fatigues. Singh and his 'Ghatak Commandos' reached the spot within 10 minutes, cordoned off the station and employed the 'zigzag methodology' to arrive within close range of the terrorists, said a senior railway police officer who was at the scene.

Singh took on the terrorists in a gunfight at close quarters. He faced indiscriminate firing and lobbing of grenades. He succeeded in killing one of them and took charge of the so far 'uncontrollable' situation, the official said. The first terrorist was killed near the bridge between the first and the second platforms, he added.

The second terrorist lobbed a grenade at Singh while trying to escape but the seriously injured officer stood up and killed him before being shot in the head.

"Task accomplished," Singh said and saluted the GOC before breathing his last.

Rajinder Singh remembered the lieutenant, who was commissioned in the 5 Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry in 2001, as a "brave and sharp boy".

Seven people were killed and 15 were injured in the attack. The exchange of fire between the two sides continued for almost two and a half hours.

Army sources said the other fatalities occurred as the terrorists fired indiscriminately while trying to get away. They said they had recovered a huge cache of AK-47 magazines and grenades from the terrorists, both suspected to be Pakistani nationals.

The lieutenant's body has been taken by land to his hometown Pathankot in Punjab, where he will be given a funeral with full military honours.

Amazing story.
But I feel sorry for his family that he has/may have left behind.

Does the Indian goverment have a war widows scheme to take care of those killed in combat?

may his deeds be remember for ever!

*claps* Hooray for Mr. Singh!

A job well done by Mr.Singh!:goodjob: You did so much in your last moments.:( I hope he gets a memorial or something...

Jolly good show; what a brave and gallant soldier. Perhaps the station should be named after him in his honour

This is like some story out of a movie.. especially with his last words being "Task accomplished" at his last breath. The Indian government is becoming rather organized and modernized for such a country which gained independence 50 years ago and has 1,000+ total languages spoken between it's people.

Nice story. India must really train their anti-terrorist units well. The Indian government does have a pretty good widow program, they will give him a great funeral too. :)

A true hero, risking his life to save others, and he did so successfully.

Seems too good to be true, the last words I mean, not what he did. Rather like an Officer sending a letter to a widow saying "he died storming a bunker shouting 'For England'! " rather than "some shrapnel hit him in the gut, and, erm..."

I hate being cynical, the guy was certainly a hero and most likely a braver man than I. Well done and much respect to him.

Every time we hear of a scam at the highest levels or the apathy officials show the people, we just need to hear the story of someone like Lieutenant Triveni Singh and somehow, hope seems to come back, that maybe this country is worth fighting for and doing something for:)

wow. What a hero. It is sad to hear that he died as a result of this attack, because the world could use every hero it can get at this point in history.

May he rest in peace, he's certainly deserved it.

Or, if you prefer the Klingon approach:

"And in the next life
I will kill the foe a thousand times.
Laughing,
Undefeated."

well he scacrafied his life to prevent lots of deaths... what a hero...

Congratulations to the man, and I'm happy to hear there's a good widow relief program. I salute him; here's hoping that there are other men brave enough to face literal fire like him.

again congrats..

Originally posted by Turner_727
May he rest in peace, he's certainly deserved it.

Or, if you prefer the Klingon approach:

"And in the next life
I will kill the foe a thousand times.
Laughing,
Undefeated."

and..

"Today is a good day to die"

I actually say that, It freaks people out.:p

Top Bottom