1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Indian Pan-Religious Challenge

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by kbk, Aug 8, 2009.

1. kbk

kbk Chieftain

I've been sort of tooling around with this challenge idea. Its simply stated, but pretty hard to do I think.

Have India found all 7 religions on monarch, without declaring war on any civilization (except for independents).

I think it would look something like this:
    Research Hunting. Build scouts. You'll need scouts to pop huts and pray you get a good tech. At the very least, you'll want to get agriculture, but if you can get a tech that leads to a religion, all the better.
    Build Stonehenge.
    Research Monotheism, Priesthood, Writing, Meditation.
    Build Oracle, save it to pop Mathematics.
    Research Calendar.
    Prophet -> Theology.
    Prophets + research -> Divine Right.

Obviously, you'll want to get workers, and settlers at some point too.

Now the real challenge will be doing this, and still getting a UHV with the highest population in 1200.

2. Zagoroth

Zagoroth Chieftain

If you research hunting first I do not believe it is possible to even win the UHV, let alone getting all seven religions.

3. kbk

kbk Chieftain

Nah. Settle on the sugar, and research hunting. I can get Monotheism, Buddhism and Priesthood, and build the oracle for theology. That gets you 4 religions right there.

4. Zagoroth

Zagoroth Chieftain

The Greeks should be able to beat you to Buddhism if you go for Judaism first.

5. kbk

kbk Chieftain

That's why its a challenge, and will take a number of tries. The Greeks can beat you to Buddhism if they go for priesthood right away. Sometimes they will, and sometimes they won't.

6. Zagoroth

Zagoroth Chieftain

Your strategy however is also suggesting going for hunting first. With that extra technology to research they should definitely get Buddhism before you.

7. Steb

Steb Chieftain

When I saw your challenge I told myself, I have to try. Then I started to think it was not possible. Nevertheless, I tried and succeeded! :D

But why hunting? As Zagoroth said it makes it hard to get the early religions, and I don't really see its use. I just send my initial warrior to Europe, collecting goody huts and staying there for a contact with the Mediterranean. I was lucky, though: I got a scout from Portugal who went to Sweden and popped writing! It enabled me to be certain to beat the Chinese.

Religions in order:
    Judaism: beelined right away
    Buddhism: right after Judaism to be sure the Greeks don't get it
    Hinduism: just after that
    Confucianism: bulbed by a scientist from Stonehenge/castes
    Taoism: Oracle (because it's too long to research and Prophets can't bulb it)
    Christianity: research+prophet
    Divine Right: research+two prohets

Then I managed to beat the Chinese for the population thing. So it's doable, but I was really lucky.

Attached Files:

8. zbelg

zbelg Chieftain

If you're going to take a gamble on popping tribal villages (not saying this isn't viable), why not just use warriors and spend those valuable first beakers to research something worthwhile? I know you've got a better chance with scouts, but you're rolling the dice either way, researching hunting would just make you rely more on blind luck.

9. Steb

Steb Chieftain

Exactly. I've a feeling it is doable without huts... but I'm not going to try...

10. ThurinEthir

ThurinEthir Chieftain

That's very impressive, Steb. (Though I'm sure we can all agree that a huge amount of luck is needed)
    But did China declare war on you, or did you declare on him? (And what, Greece is still alive in 1200 AD?)

11. kbk

kbk Chieftain

Nicely done Steb. Did you do it with the pacifist requirement? I guess hunting isn't the best idea after all. I wonder if we can do it without popping a tech.

12. Steb

Steb Chieftain

Oh that's right, I did declare war on the Chinese somewhere towards the end because I was afraid they would beat me for the population. In retrospect it was probably not necessary. I thought the pacifist requirement was only for the religions...

(Yeah, Greece survived. And Egypt, too. )

13. ThurinEthir

ThurinEthir Chieftain

I don't think the pacifist requirement should be there - but it's your challenge, kbk.
    And if you played that game out until at least the American spawn, I think it would be pretty interesting to see how the religions spread. I know that Islam and Christianity have a higher chance to spread, and you already seem to have a Buddhist Rome and Confucian Arabia, but could it get crazier?
    Just to add my two cents - I used to consistently be able to get Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism, then research Writing before popping a GS to bulb Math. Then I would be able to use the Oracle to get Calendar/Taoism, as you did. For some reason, all of a sudden that didn't work anymore for me. (And yes, both were under the same patch)
    You seemed to have done the first, albeit with a lucky goody hut. I think it should still be possible, even without popping a good tech, though you still need to be lucky, hoping that none of the religions are founded too early. If you manage to get those 5, the other two should be no problem if you pop enough GPs.
    Oh, and I just thought I'd mention that I once popped math from a hut. Founded Confucianism in 1750 BC, yep, before the Greek spawn. :lol:

14. kbk

kbk Chieftain

Well, the pacifist requirement is there to make it harder, obviously.

No camping Greece, or warrior rushing China to prevent earlier founding of religions. And then its to prevent rushing China to get your population victory. Even just declaring war can force the AI into building units instead of building population, and researching war techs instead of religious ones.

15. Steb

Steb Chieftain

No time to build warriors anyway :p

I guess I haven't exactly done your challenge then. Theorically I could go back in time and not declare war and win anyway but I don't care that much...

16. kbk

kbk Chieftain

Close enough. There's always room for improvement though.

17. mythic

mythic Chieftain

I'm one turn away from discovering Judaism and Shushan (still independent) discovers Hinduism. Has this happened to anyone else?

I started in Lahore and immediately switched to Stonehenge after my first warrior. Stonehenge was completed right before Hinduism was discovered. Now the Greeks have appeared and I'm 11 turns away from discovering Buddhism.

Isn't the AI supposed to go for Judaism in Jerusalem and Buddhism in Athens?

18. Steb

Steb Chieftain

I don't know, it's different in each game. I've never seen Hinduism founded by Shush though. You may have to play several games to get lazy Greeks or Chinese or Jerusalem. And personally I build Stonehenge before anything else, I've never really needed a second warrior that early (barbs usually let India be). I'm not sure it's necessary though.

19. kbk

kbk Chieftain

Shushan discovers Hinduism all the time in my game. Ideally they will flip to or be conquered by Babylon. That said, usually the discovery of Hinduism is really late.

Well, my most promising looking start so far turned out to be a bust. I got the truffles event (1food, 1 gold) in the forest next to Lahore, and got to Judaism and Buddhism in time, and China always founds Confucianism while I'm researching Writing. Then shortly after, Shushan gets Hinduism. It seems writing is the crux. If I got writing somehow, I could research meditation in time, and use a scientist or oracle for Confucianism.

20. Giger

Giger Chieftain

I get the same problem as kbk and mythic. Either Sushan or the city north of jerusalem founds hinduism while I'm going for Judaism. And of course everytime I've made it to Judaism the greeks always discovers Buddhism before.

Seems the latest patch made it much more difficult to win a UHV with the indians.