Indian UHV strategy discussion

The warrior voodoo would not prevent the Independents from beating you, however, it would improve your chances. That is if it works, which surprisingly it seems to work.

The voodoo claim is that it gives you more time. I have been beaten to Judaism with it.

What food resources were people importing to help get to the desired population level? I'm having problems pushing past 4 million by 1200 AD

In my India game from a few weeks back, I was importing pigs from China, sheep from Persia, deer from Scandinavia, and clams from Greece. I also ran serfdom after getting feudalism. The only city with a grocer was Lahore, which was size 16 (2.5 million people) with 3 surplus food. Overall population was 6.5 million; China had just under 4 million.

I just managed to pull it off thanks to China collapsing in 990 AD making it easy to get out in front. Still only ended with about 4 million pop I think, might try again starting on settlement as soon as I finish the temples for the rush to Islam so I have the cities in place further in advance giving them more time to grow.

I just managed to pull it off thanks to China collapsing in 990 AD making it easy to get out in front. Still only ended with about 4 million pop I think, might try again starting on settlement as soon as I finish the temples for the rush to Islam so I have the cities in place further in advance giving them more time to grow.

Start before that--build one settler before the Oracle, but don't actually settle your second city before founding Buddhism.

I had two cities going for a while, did the Lahore start instead of Delhi and had my other Settler ready before I started the Oracle and settled after Priesthood, used that city as the holy city for Christianity.

I had two cities going for a while, did the Lahore start instead of Delhi and had my other Settler ready before I started the Oracle and settled after Priesthood, used that city as the holy city for Christianity.

OK, guess I misunderstood. But as you said earlier, you should start cranking out settlers again as soon as you have your four temples.

Of course, it is possible to win India's UHV with only one city (and a sizeable stack of war elephants), but it takes some luck.

Not a big fan of a strategy that depends on luck, how do you manage that aside from killing a whole lot of people as soon as you get Islam.

Heh, don't try Emperor difficulty then. Luck is required at many steps along the way to UHV victories on Emperor difficulty.

I might try once I finish all the civs on Monarch, want to have something solid under my belt before I try for Emperor.

Not a big fan of a strategy that depends on luck, how do you manage that aside from killing a whole lot of people as soon as you get Islam.

You only have to raze a few Chinese cities, grow Lahore to size 16, and hope no other civ has a population over 2.5 million (they usually don't, though Greece had me worried when I did this a couple weeks back). It's also worth noting that the five-religion goal depends somewhat on luck anyway and is no harder with one city than it is with five or six.

Tired of re-loading trying to get to judaism (round 38 at the earliest, AI reported to sometimes get it as early as round 26 :rolleyes:) in time, without hinduism or buddhism getting snapped up by independents?

Here's an alternative, counterintuitive even, win-strategy involving no whipping and Taoism that worked for me :king: Breaking news were: Hinduism 2370BC, buddhism 2050BC, Oracle 1500BC, taoism 850BC, chrisitanity um.. didn't take note if it (seemed easy), islam 600AD, Hanging Gardens 740AD.

First things first:
Lahore start with a twist: settle on the grain E of marble, since you'll get calendar before agriculture :crazyeye:

Build order: Worker, warrior, hindu monastery, buddhist monastery, Oracle, 1st temple (work the priest from the moment you have the temple)
Tech: Masonry, meditation, priesthood (1stUHV), writing, fishing, sailing, Oracle pop: mathematics, calendar (Taoism!)

Worker works the marble (Lahore works marble from now on till the end of the game)and then has nothing to do until calendar - it sucks - but it's necessary if you want to found 5 religions.

1st warrior goes for goodie huts (S India, Anatolia, Bulgaria, Denmark, Portugal), then camp him close to Greece for contact w. Greece, Rome, Carthage, Egypt, etc. If you get another warrior or a scout from an early hut send him to Beijing, otherwise send your 2nd warrior to Beijing. Arriving in Beijing you need to cause enough havoc for the Chinese to miss calendar (we're talking 1 or 2 rounds here). There's incense, I think it is, west of Beijing as its highest yielding commerce square.

Time your oracle pop with getting sailing at the same round - netting mathematics so you can go directly to teching calendar.

You made it to taoism? Alright! that's the biggest challenge covered.

Route to christianity and islam:
Build order: Settler, 2nd temple (run 2 priests from then on until 2nd GP), then.. your choice of Hanging Gardens, granaries, workers, settlers, spears, catapults and phants eventually
Trade: Carthage has Alphabet, Greece will get it soon enough. Try getting Alphabet for yourself to open trade with Persia, which should have Monarchy. Trade around for some worker techs (agriculture, animal husbandre, hunting, roads) to build up that land of yours, bronze for forest chopping if going for the Hanging Gardens and iron to secure the iron on the hill south of Delhi, but the crux is getting monarchy in time to open up research on divine right.
Tech: There's a little freedom here as long as you have teched around 1000 beakers of divine right at about the same round your 2nd GP turns up.
GP: 1st one bulbs theocracy, 2nd bulbs the remaining half of divine right - 2nd UHV covered ;)
Expansion: 2nd city, Delhi, on the river, 1E of the phant. Funny note here: Sefdom civic actually makes worked quite well - no time to build workers + lots of land around.
Security By now you'll have barb. phants in your neighborhood and you've likely spent all your 100% win barb. battles on warriors and stuff around the globe, so you'll want to hook up that iron south of Delhi. You will need spears.

After this.. expansion. I'd advice you to be smarter than I was though, and do less over-expansion: 3rd city around where Bangladesh is, 4th graps the fish on the east coast, 5th west coast sugar. I settled another one in the south at the cow but that was silly since it stopped the Bangladesh city from growing for way too long - whipping would have worked, I didn't use it.
Conquest: Independent city of Pagan in Burma - there's a banana to be worked there, then when Persia starts crumbling, as it hopefully does, time a nice assault of phants, catapults and spears and take them out. I got Parsa, Pura and Artacaona, then launched an abortive assault on Babylonia as Arabia turned up on the field.

I suggest you forget about China as it's just too far away.

By now your economy will be in ruins, mine was. In the last 20odd rounds I was disbanding units every round. In a dramatic final round, the Chinese took an undefended Aratacoana, which had been whipped down to size 1 the round earlier, while at the same time, the Bangladesh city grew by one.. and this made the difference :king:

1200AD Indian population: 2.644.000
1200AD Chinese population: 2.639.000

Now you go and play it - you can do the population thing much better by whipping settlers and granaries and having fewer but bigger cities.

Completed Rhye's Monarch UHV's to date: Egypt, Greece, China, Arabia, Spain, Persia, Carthage, India

Yes for India's UHV it is better to have bigger cities even tho you have fewer cities overall, since each population pop gives more people than the last, so that a size 10 city is bigger than 2 size 5 cities (of course you could say that it's easier to get 2 size 5 cities but with India it shouldn't be a problem).

The Indian UP is just generally nice, I think. One "special" use it has though is freedom to adjust state religion however you see fit, which is great for befriending Persia, and perhaps also the Europeans, if you share some religion with them. Hmm.. free jumps back and forth between serfdom and slavery?.. the UP isn't really needed to win but it's nice.

The Indian UP is just generally nice, I think. One "special" use it has though is freedom to adjust state religion however you see fit, which is great for befriending Persia, and perhaps also the Europeans, if you share some religion with them. Hmm.. free jumps back and forth between serfdom and slavery?.. the UP isn't really needed to win but it's nice.

helps keep stability good because changing civics is damaging because of arachy
no anarchy=no stability hit

Finally had something I wasn't prepared for in my last game as India. Persia was getting hammered by hordes of Barbarian Horse Archers for quite a while, reduced them down to just Shush and Parsa, but they managed to fight them off. Great, right?

Until they build the Great Wall without me noticing.

A few turns later, theres suddenly four lots of 4-5 Barbarian Horse Archers streaming down out of Aghanistan that can no longer get into Persia, so they instead head towards Lahore where I have one spearman and one archer stationed! Managed to whip out enough Spearman to cope with the groups only getting there one at a time, but it was a very close call at 1200AD for population after that.

I know this isn't UHV talk but I didn't want to start a new India thread. How easy is it to take India into the modern age? I had a thought that with biology a good player could chop the jungles and turn India into a powerhouse like it is today, but I don't think I'm good enough to survive for 5,000 years to get to the 20th century.

Well if you aren't going for the UHV it should be fairly easy, first you should try getting 2/3 UHV for the golden age, the easiest of which are the first and the last UHV, so basically you'll want to found Buddhism and Hinduism, which should take relatively little time, and then start to expand south to occupy the rest of India. Your strongest threats will be the barbarian elephants and the persians, both of which you can overcome by getting the Iron ASAP and building some spearmen to the south and some spearmen+axemen to the west, then all you have to do is expand, trade, focus on getting to 6-7 cities and once you get to biology you'll be the most powerful civ around.

Top Bottom