India's 2nd UHV is impossible

Sovietof17

Warlord
even on Heir, I cannot achieve it. The best I have gotten is 17/20 temples. this is with taking the tamil's land (not the island, though)

settling outside of india in the contested areas is too dangerous and screws your stability bad

please help

It’s not impossible. The key, is focus on early expansion and make sure you have monasteries and clergy early on so you are pumping out monks and building temples early. Use your productive cities to build monks, settlers and soldiers and the less productive cities to build their temples ASAP.

You should also ensure you have at least 10 cities so you get two (Hinduism and Buddhism) temples.

India has a horrible production modifier so be wise in investing your hammers. Maximize whipping.

You can also wait Persia to die to barbs and get 2-3 of their cities, they have zoro and islam(probably) and pretty decent production, done it quite some times.

Definitely not impossible.

The key tech here is Civil Service so that you can build Khajuraho, a wonder that gives you +100% production for your temples. Civil Service is fairly high up on the tech tree, and your production isn't so great, so it may be tight to get Khajuraho done in time. You'll have to chop/whip wisely to make it happen - don't waste any hammers on temples unless specifically needed for happiness or priest slots. You might have only 5 turns left until the goal when it's done, but don't despair- Khajuraho (and 4 pop in each city) all it takes to go from 2 temples to 20 almost instantly, as I did in my last run on Monarch. Check this out:

1) Make sure each city has put at least one hammer into a Hindu Mandir by the time Khajuraho is complete, to avoid the whipping efficiency penalty
2) The turn Khajuraho is completed, whip a Hindu Mandir in all cities. They cost 88 hammers and we whip 2 pop at a massive 67.5 hammers per pop due to Clergy + Khajuraho.
3) The turn all your Hindu temples complete, switch production in all those cities to Buddhist Stupas and switch to Buddhism. Since your state religion is now Buddhism, Khajuraho will give the 100% boost to the huge amount of overflow hammers from the previous whip (47+ hammers in each city). As an added bonus, you'll have better relations with your mostly Buddhist neighbors.
4) The next turn, you'll be able to whip all your Buddhist Stupas for 1 pop.

Obviously some cities could build the temples normally without using this gambit, but this guarantees completion of the goal as long as you have 10 cities with both religions and 4+ pop. Even if you have to whip almost everywhere, it's relatively to hit the pop goal afterwards with the right improvements and the food bonuses from Caste System, Meritocracy, and Borobodur.

These are my problems (in order). Remember, I'm playing on heir

1) India collapses. To get my 10 cities, I'm forced to settle 1 city in a contested area, and take 2 from the Tamil.
2) If I don't HARD FOCUS on UHV#1 starting from turn 1, I lose. In fact, by doing this, I barely get it anyways. I think around 300 BC or so is when I get my second shrine.
3) If hinduism doesn't spread to the the bigger of the 2 cities that you get on the start, it's basically a loss, btw.

My last game, I was going to get the temples.. I had just conquered the Tamil for city #10 (or was it #11? I have to check) and my civ collapsed.
So basically, I lose every time due to collapse or UHV#2

1) India collapses. To get my 10 cities, I'm forced to settle 1 city in a contested area, and take 2 from the Tamil.

You aren't forced to settle in any contested areas. I just loaded up a save from my Monarch UHV run, and I have 10 cities covering every tile on the subcontinent. The only city I have in a contested area is Tanjapuri (the southernmost Tamil city). So in addition to the 2 starting cities and the 2 Tamil cities, I founded six in historical areas. They are, in order:

Chittagong, founded 724 BC to the East of capital, 1S of Rice. The gold here will help your economy, and it's so close to your capital that city maintenance is very low.
Ashaval, founded 369 BC 1W of Horses: This city is absolutely critical as your source of Horse and Marble.. Focus on culture so you don't lose the Marble if Persia founds Pura.
Nagpur, founded 324 BC 1S of Iron: This will be the key to your defense against barbs
Panaji, founded 229 BC on the West coast 2W of Spices and 1S of Gems. This is the only way to get the Fish next to it - don't worry, it won't flip on Tamil Spawn
Kolkata, founded 69 BC 3S and 1E of capital. Founded it later because we already have the resources it provides, even though it's so close to capital.
Srinagar, founded 64 BC on the plains hill north of the Sheep in the northwest. Most tiles around here are contested, but this one is actually historical.

2) If I don't HARD FOCUS on UHV#1 starting from turn 1, I lose. In fact, by doing this, I barely get it anyways. I think around 300 BC or so is when I get my second shrine.

If you're focusing so hard on UHV1 that it hurts your early economy/expansion, don't focus so hard. You have until 100 BC, so use the time you have. My second shrine came online at 174 BC.

3) If hinduism doesn't spread to the the bigger of the 2 cities that you get on the start, it's basically a loss, btw.

Why? The two GPs to build your shrines should come from the capital, because it has a ton of food and the first shrine gives you 3 more Priest slots. If Hinduism takes awhile to spread to Indrarastha, you can actually benefit from it by building a Vedic Temple there. Once Hinduism does arrive, it'll be converted to a (much more expensive) Hindu Mandir for free, saving you a bundle of hammers. With Pataliputra providing both GPs, Indraprastha's decent production is freed up for expansion and economic development.

What did the domestic adviser say about your stability leading up to your collapse, and what are your civics? If I know which category was dragging it down, I could offer some suggestions to help. In general though, try to have a Jail in every city (Citizenship civic helps for building them) and lots of excess happiness, which you should have just from your many plantation resources.

You can actually settle in contested areas without any problems. Contested means that the area is historical for you but at the same time part of the spawn area of a later civ. India's contested areas are in Tamil and Mughal spawn zones. The Mughals only spawn after 1200, by the time you will have won. See below for how to deal with the Tamils. Just don't settle in foreign or foreign core areas. As said above, It is possible to pack 20 cities tightly on the Indian subcontinent, many of them just two tiles apart. Raze the barb city so that it doesn't flip to the Tamils. Forward settle the latter in order limit them to their core area. Never switch out of Manorialism in order to avoid strike. Building the Khajuraho is very ambitious IMHO, your research will be down the drain after founding those 10 cities. Furthermore, I think that the third UHV, 20% population, is actually the hardest one.

You can actually settle in contested areas without any problems. Contested means that the area is historical for you but at the same time part of the spawn area of a later civ.

Almost correct. Contested means historical + foreign core.

I'm pretty terrible at this game and I found it pretty easy. Just gotta whip them. I don't even think I conquered anything or settled outside of historical zone. Settle everything you can outside of Tamils flip zone before they spawn and whip the crap out of temples/missionaries. If you're lucky you'll even get a couple of Zoroastrian settlers so you can build a fire temple. India definitely has the food. The only problem I ran into with India's UHVs is a completely forgot to start training great prophets.

Top Bottom