1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

India's Enhancer: Iconography, Prophecy, or Orthodoxy?

Discussion in 'Strategy Section' started by cammcken, Apr 8, 2020.

1. cammcken

cammcken Warlord

I'm stuck in indecision. I'm playing Ghandi in perfect terrain for India: lots of plains for farm clusters, dotted with sparse hills and forests for production and defense. I'm planning on eventually having 7~8 cities, all rather widely spaced out, and I'm situated at the end of a somewhat linear continent.

I chose Goddess of Love for the pantheon ( :c5gold::c5faith::c5goldenage: on pop birth) and Divine Inheritance for the founder (+20% yields in capital during golden ages), so Iconography synergizes well with the golden age bonuses. It also helps stack the Tradition capital with even more Great Person points and bonuses. Sounds good for a cultural victory.
    However, I lose any ability to convert anyone beyond my first immediate neighbor. The second neighbor down the line has already founded.

Prophecy helps me spread religion the only way I can. It also keeps cities converted by thwarting inquisitor attempts. However, what good will aggressively spreading get me? More world congress votes for the diplomatic victory, sure, and a possible world religion proposal, but how much will they count for in the late game? I can settle prophets for some culture and tourism, also good for cultural victory, but Divine Inheritance boosts faith, so I would be spending prophets just to get more prophets, and I'm uneasy about disrupting my farm clusters.

Orthodoxy helps push India's passive spread even farther, but in this situation it's the least attractive. I'm at the edge of the continent, so I'm only spreading to one neighbor.

I'm also a little unsure about the second follower belief. The first I used to secure Mandirs. By my rule thumb, the second should be a passive bonus not a building. Diligence or Scholarship could get my cities +10 ~ 15 production or science by mid-game. But a second building like the cathedral keeps India's passive spread strong and other missionaries weak, and boosts farms some more.

The screenshot's below if anyone wants to see.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  2. cammcken

cammcken Warlord

So I got bored waiting for a response. I'm going to choose Iconography after reading several India playthroughs also using it. If you want to make a case for Prophecy, go ahead, but you're too late.

3. crdvis16

crdvis16 Emperor

Prophecy would have made sense if it would be the difference between reforming or not. If you were able to reform anyway then you probably made the right choice.

4. cammcken

cammcken Warlord

Yep! I got Stonehedge so I was way ahead of the other religions. Reforming was easy.

I also realize recent updates have changed up many beliefs, including some of these enhancers. Sorry for starting an out-of-date thread.

Thanks for the reply!

5. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

So the real power of prophecy now is the removal of 1 policy prerequisite for wonders.

since ghandi tends to be a bit cultured starved, this can allow you to stay competitive in the wonder race

6. azum4roll

azum4roll King

They're playing in a really old version though, with +20% in Divine Inheritance. Iconography is king.