1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Indonesia First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Interesting civ, for sure.
    I don't think that she's all that attractive, but then I'm not fond of vampires.
    Anyone else notice the "Hint of Fangs" in the video?
    fang.png

2. KayAU

KayAU King

Well, there are various ways others could beat you to the first pantheon, but getting +1 faith from the start will certainly increase your chances of getting an early pick.

3. shyPiano

shyPiano Prince

You know why I'm here:

And another animation! She looks amazing, can't wait to have her on my games.

As for Indonesia itself, I'm not entirely sure what to think of them. But the water unique improvement is very unique! :) Indonesian cities will surely look very distinct.

4. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

With Goddess of Harvest >> Without Goddest of Harvest

Other pathenons in fact don't vary a lot, since goddest of harvest has a strength of almost the sum of all others.

The same applies for Papal Primacy versus other religion beliefs. Not sure what will the situation be post patch. Currently the religious system is very inbalanced.

Goddess of Harvest Timing: 10~15T

So you need 2 initial faith per turn to be useful.

Anyway, this UA increases your chance of getting goddess of harvest, previously you need 2 20F ancients, or 1 relic ancient, now you only need one 20F or relic. (chance increased from about 5% to 10%,assuming you get 2 ancients in the first few turns.)

If given 2 faith per turn to only capital, the UA itself will be better than sum of all other components of Indonesia.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  5. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

That new religion lens / overlay looks good. About 1m10 into the first look.

Indonesia is using a sort of 16-rayed sun as their empire icon.
    Khmer are using a stylised three-tiered tower (a bit like the roof profile of Angkor Wat).

A lot of the colours used in these first looks end up being different to the final release. Australia was using green and gold colours in their first look, and I think Macedon used the same (green and gold) colours too.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2017
  6. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

Well now, time to play some water, eh?
    And I don't think you need to use island map. On Pangaea or Continents, just secure the coast lines and take over cities on the coasts and destroy the inner lands using your endless faithful Warrior Monks.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  7. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly King

Kimiimaro, Guandao and Buckets like this.
  8. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Good evening, science fans!
    Some of you might be interested in an English translation from Indonesian of a
    talk given this week about the origins of Indonesian people.

Tracing the origin of Indonesian people through genetics
    https://theconversation.com/tracing-the-origin-of-indonesian-people-through-genetics-85827

There is also a (free) paper giving more detail on the genetics of Eastern
    Indonesia for keen students.

Genetic Admixture History of Eastern Indonesia as Revealed by Y-Chromosome and Mitochondrial DNA Analysis
    https://academic.oup.com/mbe/articl...tic-Admixture-History-of-Eastern-Indonesia-as

Don't worry, this will not be on the exam.

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  9. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

Kmer looks good but this kitty looks awesome - loving the Navy bonuses, they must have improved seafaring and sea combat a lot looking by this.

Mega bonus! :D

10. kul

kul Prince

This. The elf ears were a sign of a sovereign. Means that they will hear the pleas of the people. I was too distracted by her useless flowers and short crown I didnt quite get it back then.

Kimiimaro and Guandao like this.
  11. ThERat

ThERat Deity

Living in SEA right smack between Malaysia and Indonesia, I am puzzled why those buildings in the water are called Kampung when in fact, they are called Kelong.
    Kampungs is the word for any and each village. Singapore has one such Kampung left thanks to its rapid urbanization.

Maybe some expert on Indonesia can enlighten me why they shouldn't be called Kelong.

conorbebe likes this.
  12. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

A kelong is not necessarily a dwelling. It can be a platform, jetty or pier,
    although many are also dwellings.
    Kampung is a more appropriate term in the game because it always
    provides "housing".

13. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Since the Khmer first look thread has more posts, I'm going to comment more on Indonesia. :p

Great Nusantara- I wonder how minor the adjacency bonuses for Holy Sites, Campuses, Industrial Zones, Theater squares are when they are next to coastal tiles. I'm still curious why these specific districts were chosen. Are Indonesian holy places, universities, factories, and cultural centers usually next to the ocean? It just seems a bit generic to me and doesn't tell me anything about Indonesian culture or history. I think the Entertainment complexes giving an extra amenity when next to a coastal tile is a reference to Wayang Kulit puppet theaters, but I'm not sure they are usually next to the sea. All in all, the Civ ability will make the player prioritize on settling cities close to the coast.

Exalted Goddess of the Three Worlds-Buying naval units with faith seems useful. Did the navy of Majapahit have religious connections? Religious units not using movement to embark or disembark is a nice perk, not game changing though. Did the various religions spread throughout the Indonesian islands faster than usual? I thought Islam took centuries to become the region's dominant religion. Then there's the +1 faith to city centers that are adjacent to coast or lake tiles. Another incentive to settle on the coast. I wonder if Indonesians attributed religious meaning to the sea or lakes. The leader ability seems suited for both domination and religious victories.

Jong- so this ship replaces the frigate but is faster, units in its formation will gain its movement speed, it gets extra combat power if in a formation. I think the name "Jong" is related to "Junk". I thought that Junk ships were mainly used for trade as opposed to wars. If I connect a Civilian unit (like a settler) to a Jong, does it also gain its movement speed?

Kampung- The unique coastal tile improvement. When adjacent to a water resource, it provides housing and production and food for each adjacent fishing boat. It can be improvement later in the game with tech research. I wonder how good the bonuses are. Indonesian coasts will be cluttered with these villages! I doubt many of these coastal villages still exist in Indonesia today. There's still one ethnic group, the Sama-Bajau, who live on this stilted coastal villages. But did people in the Majapahit empire live in these type of villages?

Conclusion: Indonesia in Civ6 is one which thrives on the coast, and have benefits which can aid towards Religious (religious units paying no movement to embark and disembark, +1 faith to city centres next to coast or lake tiles) and Domination victory (paying naval units with faith, Jong) in addition to smaller boosts for a Scientific or Cultural victory (the adjacency bonuses for Campuses, Industrial Zones, Theater squares next to coastal tiles).

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  14. LastSword

LastSword Prince

So Indonesia got this "view from jungle" in the background as well. How unexcepted.
    Now I am thinking that background is the main issue in Khmer leaderscene. It makes me perceive leader as some puny chieftain from the middle of jungle.
    They could present Khmer in its former glory instead present-day-ruins-in-the-middle-of-jungle theme. Extremely blurry and greenish. I am afraid this one may be hard to customize since they are used to protect dlc content more.

Exalted... Indonesia looks fine, maybe Jong as frigate sounds a bit weird.

15. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

We don't know exactly which tech or civic unlocks the Jong yet. It probably comes an era before the Frigate.

16. Nev_ti

Nev_ti Chieftain

Gitarja looks like a milf version of Moana.

17. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Gitarja could potentially out-waifu Victoria, Cleopatra, and Jadwiga.

Kimiimaro and Guandao like this.
  18. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

Something about this statement coming from surfer-Dugtrio makes it funnier :lol:

Guandao likes this.
  19. AessaSH

AessaSH Warlord

And I'm going to comment this post. :D

Yes, they are just generic districts that help Gitarja to win Religion, Science, Domination, or Cultural Victory. But the coastal area itself is important to Indonesian. Many major kingdoms and sultanates are located in this area that the Javanese call it "Pasisir".
    I'm guessing that the extra Amenity from Entertainment Complex is there to supplement the housing bonus from the Kampung.

No, the one who have a religious connection is Gitarja, reigning as a divine monarch.
    Islam seems took a lot of time to become dominant in Indonesia because there is no major attempt by foreign muslim traders to convert islanders. The big conversion is happen in an instant when local rulers becomes muslim, such as the rise of Malacca and Demak.
    Indonesian, especially the Javanese have a tradition to respect Rara Kidul, The Goddess of Indian Ocean. Yogyakarta Sultanate, the distant successor of Majapahit, is still performing festivals for this goddess until now.

Maybe, because the Junk itself is a generic term for sailing ship. But, the Javanese Jong has distinct differences compared to the Chinese Junk. For the example is the type of sail (Jong's lug sail opposed to Junk's batten sail), and the absent of iron nails on the Jong.

Majapahit itself? No. Majapahit's vassals? Yes, some of them. Medieval Palembang and Riau are good examples of stilt houses user.

kul, Guandao and SammyKhalifa like this.
  20. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

OOhhhh, better frigates. That's good enough for me.

Rest of the coastal bonuses are nice too.